mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Wisp Resort FR/DH

Hi all. New to the forum.

So far I've only been riding W&OD, Difficult Run(s), Colvin Run, Lake Fairfax and other watershed trails. I live nearby the intersection of Rte. 7 and Baron Cameron in the Vienna/Reston/Great Falls area so I'm lucky to have lots of trails connected to my 'hood.

I was looking at all the ski resorts that are 'local' to MAR and I noticed that Wisp seemed to be the only one with an actual Freeride Park.

Link: http://www.wispresort.com/wisp/info/...in-biking.aspx

Anyone ever been? How is it?

Anyone wanna go?

I guess it would require a much more robust rig than my new Fuel EX 6.5 but maybe it can handle the novice trails?

mtbr member
    More of a downhill place than a freeride place. Pretty low key but the lift takes forever and ever for the trip up the mountain.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I wouldn't bother with Wisp, the Lift is sooooooooooooooo slow and the trails are just ok. I would much rather spend a little more time/money and travel to Diablo, Snowshoe or 7 springs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Links to aforementioned places? Any info perhaps?

Unit 91
    Bikes

mtbr member
    Diablo

song of the saw-whet owl
    check out Timberline Resort in Canaan Valley, they have been trying to pimp their DH scene the past few years and a little closer, cheaper and lower key than snowshoe.

some dude does picturized maps of the DH trails..here is one of em http://www.damaps.net/wv/bike/trail-1631
    just another piece of chaga

Primal Concreate Sledge
    Aug 2009
    Snowshoe & Timberline are great locations but it is such a difficult drive. Wisp is really being proactive with there Mtn. Bike program, with trail work weekends were they will give you a free trail pass and lunch each day you volunteer, updates to the bike rentals, as well as only 14 miles off of Interstate 68. The fellas from Sick lines did a great job on their description of Wisp -

http://www.sicklines.com/courses/eth...rt-mchenry-md/

Wisp Mountain Bike Program Opens May 15

mtbr member
    Blue Mountain Is The Close Spot This Year...awesome Jump Park They Built, And Tons Of Greta Trails....from B'more Just 2:45-3:15 Hrs Away.

Wisp...only If They Have A Race Scheduled.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    yeah I am definitely gonna hit up blue mountain (they are the cheapest too, plus closest to my house) this summer that place looks awesome. I really want to hit that jump park and I think they have a 4x track too I wanna play on haha. If anyone wants to rideshare or something send me an email at reidhollister at gmail dot com

Primal Concreate Sledge
    Aug 2009
    2010 Wisp Mountain Bike Race Schedule

June 5 - 6 - Dual Slalom on Saturday and Downhill on Sunday

July - 24 Dual Slalom

September 11 - 12 - Dual Slalom on Saturday and Downhill on Sunday

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The mid-atlantic scene just keeps getting better each year!!! Snowshoe, Wisp, Timberline, Seven Springs, & Blue Mtn....you gotta love it. Just a few short years ago we were crying and complaining about no place (ie, resort) to ride. Now look at it!!! We need to support all of these mountains and show them that their investment, and the business risk they are taking, is worth it and very much appreciated.

For what it's worth, I personally love riding at the Wisp. Sure the lift may be slow, but the terrain is fun enough and I can take my wife along for some of the fun in and around McHenry, MD. The fact that I can make it from DC in under 3 hours is a huge bonus, as I can leave early in the morning, ride all day, and be home that evening if I need to for work reasons.