CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Wilderness Adventures Visit; Sulphur Ridge Snow Ride

Cross Post with SingleTracks, mixed up the pics a little.

On February 2 I joined some other charter members from Roanoke IMBA (RIMBA) for a lunch and tour of Wilderness Adventures at Eagles Landing in Craig county VA. We were discussing some common ground that includes some trail work in their area (my focus) as well as some other possible events in the future. Stay tuned on that.

I had thought it was just a lodge but the place is much more than that. A retreat, it attracts business, church and other groups from far and wide. I was surprised that the place seemed pretty full the first weekend in February, not exactly prime tourist season in these parts.

They are on a 500 acre spread on Craig Creek.

The main lodge is an attractive log structure.

This part was original I believe, and only found out as a log cabin when they started remodeling.

Dan and Julie (or Julia, sorry can’t remember which) gave us the tour
    [IMG]
    Ready for some boat action

Some cool old buses set out to pasture

Zipline

Thanks to the folks at Wilderness Adventure for the guided tour and great lunch. Quite an impressive facility that is surrounded by national forest.

Now, this is my kind of adventure planning room

A couple of us were in ride deprivation, so we wanted to get in a fairly short ride after the tour – and before dark.

Right before we started, a snowstorm moved in making things – interesting.

The mile or so hike a bike on Price Mountain is tough dry.

Add snow, and the climb is tougher

On top wasn’t too bad

]

The descent off the side of the mountain to Sulphur Ridge was most interesting

]

And more dangerous than I liked. We dabbed and walked a lot the first mile. My riding partners cleats froze up so she was only half clipped in for most of the ride

After the first mile the trail drops down on another ridge and the rest of the ride was good.

]]

]

The end of the trail

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    Looks like someone isn't suffering the freeze-thaw blues

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by J View Post
    Looks like someone isn't suffering the freeze-thaw blues
    Haha - ride when I can. Soil in this area drains very well so we miss a lot of the mud other areas get. I don't care anything about riding in snow and ice, but we decided to go for it since the bikes were loaded and we were ready to ride.