West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006

Why does that one section of trails at Fair Hill have that burly fence around it ?

The section in the southeast corner - with the big gatedoor that you have to go through.

Just curious if anyone knows why they did that.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Deer fence. It's to keep deer out so the underbrush can grow back.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Are you thinking of that the part that is called South Park? It has been gated as long as I can remember (back to the 80's). I actually don't know why but for some wacky reason thought that it was not part of the original dupont land.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Are you thinking of that the part that is called South Park? It has been gated as long as I can remember (back to the 80's). I actually don't know why but for some wacky reason thought that it was not part of the original dupont land.
    Not sure what people call it but we must be talking about the same area.

The trails in there are weird - so tight and twisty. I get dizzy in there. It feels like the work of a crazy person. (My apologies if it was the work of the trailspinners. )

Now broadcasting from CO
    That's funny, those are some of my favorite trails in the park. It's the original rhythm section.

I think Vespasianus might be onto something with his "not part of the original dupont land" theory, though. That wouldn't surprise me one bit. I've just seen deer fences in other areas of a similar design, so that's where I went first.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAmtbiker View Post
    That's funny, those are some of my favorite trails in the park. It's the original rhythm section.

I think Vespasianus might be onto something with his "not part of the original dupont land" theory, though. That wouldn't surprise me one bit. I've just seen deer fences in other areas of a similar design, so that's where I went first.
    Actually, it is one of my favorites as well. It is best to ride that fresh and fast. If you go slow, it becomes a chore.

As kids, we would fish by the bridge down the track from the fence. That bridge is now gone (washed away a few years ago) but would lead out of park land. I remember the fence being there forever.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I haven't been to Fair Hill for years. Are you guys talking about the section called Drunken Sailor, or another area?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Do people like riding that trail clockwise or counter clockwise? Personally I like going clockwise. Nice downhill in the end, plus awesome views on way back to the fence.
    "Want to ride some more miles...?"

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    I haven't been to Fair Hill for years. Are you guys talking about the section called Drunken Sailor, or another area?
    I think they are talking about another area called south park. Don't know if it named for the show or what, but it is behind a fence.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
    I think they are talking about another area called south park. Don't know if it named for the show or what, but it is behind a fence.
    Thanks Domatian.