mtbr member
    Feb 2008

White Clay question

Where is the best place to park at White Clay if one is looking for a not overly technical longish ride?

mtbr member
    I've only been there a few times but I dont think any of it is overly technical. The trails there are so well marked and mostly loops that you can really make the ride as long as you want. There are a lot of parking lots but the on in middle run by the bird sanctuary is popular because its free.

White clay is awesome and I highly recommend it no matter what your skill or endurance level is.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    As you can see in the map posted above everything is pretty well connected, and nothing in any the areas is overly technical, just the typical rocks and roots. There are some man made features, but there are cheater lines around all of them I think.

When I do longer rides I typically park at Judge Morris because it's the farthest south and work my way north, then ride back down. You do have to pay to park at Judge Morris, $3 for DE tags and $5 or $6 for out of state (on your honor payment system).

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    If you have a smart phone download Maprika. You can download the map above and have GPS on the trails. I always park at the bird lot.

mtbr member
    +1 on Maprika. I use it and it works great for finding your way around and tracking your speed/miles.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Another White Clay question...has there been enough traffic this time of year to keep the leaves off the trail? I'm not sure it'd be worth the drive for me if the trails were covered in leaves.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'll be riding in the Judge Morris/Middle Run area after work today, probably won't have enough daylight to cover much ground but I'll report back about trail conditions as far as leaves go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    As people have said, the whole White Clay/Middle Run system is pretty non-technical. It is obviously not a rail trail or towpath so there might be some challenges to a true beginner. There are dips and and humps, etc. but should be fine for most skill levels and they are a lot of fun. The only trails other than the skills trail that I would say a true beginner should avoid are Corkscrew and Mountain Goat. Those two are nothing crazy but are a little bit more challenging than most of the others.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I was there on Sunday and the leaves were not a problem. There were plenty of riders.

mtbr member
    I dont think the pay lots are the honor system. I've seen park rangers emptying the boxes and checking tags. I dont know if they ticket or not but someone definitely checks them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yes, they check to make sure you pay and ticket.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    When I say honor system I simply mean no one is there to take your money, you have to get the envelope and put your money in the box. The tickets the rangers hand out don't actually come with a fine apparently, so it's basically a reminder to go pay. If you live in state and go often, the annual passes are only $27 and are worth it if only to not need to have exact change every time.

Did the Judge Morris loop and then a quick loop across the street (Snow Goose I think) and leaves weren't an issue. Trails were great actually, my buddy's front tire was so bald it might as well have been a road slick and he didn't go down a single time. I'll be riding again Sunday morning if anyone sees someone on a fat bike (Mukluk) it's probably me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formula4speed View Post
    When I say honor system I simply mean no one is there to take your money, you have to get the envelope and put your money in the box. The tickets the rangers hand out don't actually come with a fine apparently, so it's basically a reminder to go pay.

I have a $90 fine from a few years ago that disagrees with this. Maybe someone pissed in that rangers coffee that morning...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    I have a $90 fine from a few years ago that disagrees with this. Maybe someone pissed in that rangers coffee that morning...
    That sucks. My buddy got a ticket a couple months ago at the 9 Foot Road lot, and there was no fine. It basically said he didn't pay and to put in his $3 along with the ticket in the payment box. I also talked to a ranger over the summer who told me they didn't fine people, maybe something changed at some point? I live close by and use the parks a lot so I do the annual pass for convenience sake.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Maybe they don't fine Delaware residents (just a guess). I have never I have had a couple times where i had no change and got stuck putting a $20 in instead of $6. I started parking in the free areas once I figured out they were available.

Formula: Is the fat bike you main ride at White Clay? I'm intrigued by the looks of them but have never ridden one. What do you think of the fatbikes?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I alternate between the fat bike and my Karate Monkey (setup rigid SS). Fat bikes are fun, the traction is awesome, it's almost comical how easily it rolls over obstacles. Mine is pretty heavy in stock form (I think 35ish pounds), and the large volume tires provide good squish but you can still tell it's a rigid bike. I think mine great for the xc trails we have here. That said, if your goal is to go as fast as possible, I'd guess you are better off with something more "traditional". Unless maybe you have the cash for a 25lb carbon fatty build, I bet those things fly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dung Hopper View Post
    Maybe they don't fine Delaware residents (just a guess). I have never I have had a couple times where i had no change and got stuck putting a $20 in instead of $6. I started parking in the free areas once I figured out they were available.
    That sounds plausible; I am out of state and didn't realize till I was there that I didn't have any cash.

Where are these free lots you speak of?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_from_PA View Post
    I'm not sure it'd be worth the drive for me if the trails were covered in leaves.
    Tim, i don't know if you made it to the trails at fair hill fairground in elkton MD or not, but after riding there for the first time today, i enjoyed them more than white clay. It's like a combination of white clay & marsh creek. A lot of speedy smoothness, hard pack and twisty downhills yet a lot of nice roots, easy rock beds etc. While White Clay is awesome, the variation at Fair Hills broke up the monotony. The increased traffic form the jamboree today definitely cleared off a lot of the trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

White Clay question

For best free lot use paper mill park. There us a 1.25 mile connecter to get you to middle run. The connecter is the trail at the south end of the park as you pass the pond on your left go into the wooden bridge and you are there.

Bill

White Clay question-imageuploadedbytapatalk1383272836.364276.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_from_PA View Post
    Another White Clay question...has there been enough traffic this time of year to keep the leaves off the trail? I'm not sure it'd be worth the drive for me if the trails were covered in leaves.
    Leaves? You would not ride a trail because of leaves? Can I ask why?
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just wanna say these trails are awesome! Rode them for the first time today (I'm in Philly) and they're so flowy and fun! Wish it was closer...

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I want to ride White Clay tomorrow. Is it dry enough?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes. I rode before work today and it was very dry.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Awesome, i'm heading there in the morning as well.
    Have fun Peridigm!
    J
    Niner Rip 9 RDO w/ 140 Pike
    2012 Specialized Secteur