Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Toro

White Clay/Middle Run/Redd Park - Trail Maintenance/Building

Many thanks to this wonderful group of young men that dedicated a few hard hours in the humid and mosquito infested woods. Thanks are in order for their group leaders as well. Fantastic group of people through the organization.

Toro
    The Chunnel entrance on the Bryant's Field side was repaired. The bridge that was washed away was reinstalled. The rest of the section was repacked with rocks and gravel. The tunnel was raked and the riding surface raised. We then moved on to another section of Middle Run and worked on drainage issues. Great work by everybody on the team. Special thanks go out to the future spinners: Zack, Maci, and Logan.

These were not the only efforts of the day. Many teams went out and took care of lots of issues. Trimming, invasive vegetation removal, construction of a platform at a crossing on Fox Den Rd, clearing downed trees, etc, etc, etc. Thank you all very much for your contributions.

Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

consumes mass quantities
    Awesome work! Thanks, guys.

mtbr member
    Yeas, it really is appreciated! Thinking of signing up with you guys, so maybe I could come and help, so I can show some respect to everyone who has helped for all this time, for what I get to ride on!

Not that I have been riding long, or have been there a ton, but would just like to show some respect to you all!
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin
    Upgrade-Wellgo MG-1 Pedals
    If you don't come back banged up and bruised, you didn't go hard enough!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Sadly, a lot of this excellent work was washed away in Irene. I was just there yesterday and the new bridge has washed downstream and lodged onto the bridge just downstream and the chunnel riding surface is gone again. The next decent sized group of riders could probably carry the bridge back though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PA Quaker View Post
    Sadly, a lot of this excellent work was washed away in Irene. I was just there yesterday and the new bridge has washed downstream and lodged onto the bridge just downstream and the chunnel riding surface is gone again. The next decent sized group of riders could probably carry the bridge back though.
    How are the trails post Irene? Was thinking of trying to get a ride in towards the end of this week.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The trails were in good shape apart from a few wet spots in low areas.

Toro
    Quote Originally Posted by PA Quaker View Post

I was a bit upset about that bridge. We had just put it back in place about a week or two before Irene. Oh well, the next time I can get three or four people to ride with me I'll see about putting it back in place. The rocks that were laid out there aren't too bad. So, between working on the bridge and the sand in the Chunnel there isn't too much to do.
    Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

mtbr member
    ^
    ^
    ^

Toro
    Bridge service restored. All if our volunteer efforts are concentrated at Redd Park so it was a one man job. I only restored the bridge. Couldn't rake the tunnel. I will get to it next time.

Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

mtbr member
    Nice Leo, Thanks!

We finally found this over the weekend, water was deep, and definitely a good bit of sand in there too. Was still fun to go through though!
    2010 Gary Fisher Marlin
    Upgrade-Wellgo MG-1 Pedals
    If you don't come back banged up and bruised, you didn't go hard enough!

Toro
    What I do is nothing. There are many people performing many thankless tasks in all of the parks in Delaware and Maryland. Heck, I don't even know everything that goes on. There are those that respond to downed trees, others that quickly go out and assess damage. As I said before, there are jobs being performed by many people. Most of which I have not even met yet.

I found my niche within the group. What I do is I organize volunteer efforts outside of regularly scheduled maintenance work parties. My hope is to gather enough volunteers to cover most of the basics so that the bulk of the work parties can concentrate on bigger and better projects. Currently, our concerns are to take care of drainage issues. Once these are all addressed we will move on to restoring abandoned features, improving others, and adding some. But we are a long way from that. First thing is first, William Redd Park:

Rich from IMBA. He is an artist with boulders and an excavator.

Yes, Delaware has real chunk now.

The rock gardens are coming along nicely.

All weather trails.

Lots of rocks. Almost brings a tear to my eyes.

Thanks for the rocks, Jim.
    Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Is William Redd Park near the main White Clay trail system? Or is this new loop near it i think I mean? Do you have to take the road?
    How long is the loop. Can't wait to try it. When will it be open? Would love to help out sometime
    "Want to ride some more miles...?"

mtbr member
    Any new trails being planned ??

Toro
    Find the Newark reservoir and go up to the top. At the northern end you will find a trail head. Explore the single track and you will find the rocks. That's the newest trail system being worked on. Please be careful if you decide to go there. And please be considerate if you see people working. Thanks.

There are other ways to get there but for now that's all I'm posting. As soon as I have more time I will get some more info out.
    Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

Toro
    Here are some pictures from the last few weeks. Again, if any of you out there want to volunteer your time in White Clay, Middle Run, and/or Redd Park don't hesitate to contact me. I can work with your schedule if you can't make it to scheduled maintenance. Thanks in advance.

Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

Toro
    Calling RabEd Ewok and Phillycore. I and a few coworkers will be helping at Redd Park this Saturday. Around noon we will split and go for a ride. You are all welcome to join us for either the volunteering, riding, or both.

That invitation goes out to anyone else that may be interested. Just drop me a line so that I can give you contact info. The pace will be moderately slow... maybe fast... I wish I could tell how my legs will behave.
    Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

directionless white male
    Mar 2008
    I came up from Lenape under the tunnel to find the Brian's field trail closed due to shotgun hunting (Everyday but Sundays). Are Whitely farms and David English closed as well?

I was riding with friends who were there for the first time and your efforts astonished them. Thanks.
    Disclaimer: I ride really slow.

Smarter Than He Looks
    Quote Originally Posted by clarence View Post
    I came up from Lenape under the tunnel to find the Brian's field trail closed due to shotgun hunting (Everyday but Sundays). Are Whitely farms and David English closed as well?

I was riding with friends who were there for the first time and your efforts astonished them. Thanks.
    I think so. However all of Middle Run is open (THIS side of the Rt 72/tunnel). Here's the official hunting info:
    Shotgun Hunting season begins in WCCSP and Lums Pond SP this Friday. the dates are as follows:

* November 11th thru November 19th (excluding Sundays) (Both parks)
    * December 15th, 16th & 17th (WCCSP only)
    * December 10th thru 17th (excluding Sundays) (Lums Pond only)
    * January 14th thru January 21st, 2012 (excluding Sundays) (Both parks)

There will be NO shotgan season in Judge Morris but, there will be a special Archery season. The dates are as follows:

* October 17th thru November 19th (excluding Sundays)
    * December 15th, 16th & 17th
    * January 14th thru January 21st, 2012 (excluding Sundays)

If you do ride in Judge Morris during these dates please wear bright colors and please limit your stops to a minimum so as not to disturb the hunters.

For more information please visit the State Parks website and click on ACTIVITIES, then HUNTING, then LOCATIONS or call the park offices WCCSP @ 302-368-6900 or Lums Pond @ 302-368-6989

directionless white male
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for a very detailed response on hunting closures.
    Disclaimer: I ride really slow.

full-release guaranteed
    So this Sunday 11/20 I can go ride all the trails in WC/MR without fear of getting blasted?

Toro
    The rut at the bottom of the hill by the church has been temporarily repaired.

Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

mtbr member
    I havent been there in a long time....was it really that bad ??

Toro
    No, I just like digging into frozen dirt for hours.

Lol, just messing with you. For me to be out in the cold it has to be serious!

Yes, it was that bad. It was right where people land that jump and it was grabbing tires.
    Ricardo aka "El Toro"
    Team Raging Toro
    Toro Page on G+

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    LOL! I'm sorry for laughing, but the orange shirts, heavy machinery, and a "trail" that's smoother, and wider than the Churchman's Marsh section of I-95, it looks more like a DelDot project.

Any plans for retail along that section?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast