Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

White Clay/Middle Run Noob

846 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mnardo72 
#1 ·
Just got 1st MTB, and live near WC\MRC. I haven't ridden a MTB in 10 years, so I'm hoping to get advice on which trails are best for a true beginner. I hunt white clay, so im semi familiar with most trails, but the trails in the woods seem way above my level. I also plan on joining the trail spinners in April, but would like to get some training in some flat, easy trails. Also, first time in clipless, so just getting used to them will be a task.
Thank you for any help.
Mike

#2 ·
First off, nice buck in you avatar, especially if its a mid-atlantic buck :)

White Clay is actually not too bad for a beginner if you take it slow. The faster you get, the twistier it becomes. The yellow loop, and the peters field loop (stay off the skills course until you are ready!) are pretty tame. The orange loop has some jumps and berms and bridges that might freak you out, but again, pretty chill at low speed. )

#3 ·
I've have pretty good experience with Bryan's Field loop. There aren't many terribly tricky parts but there are a few climbs/downhills depending on which way you ride the loop. Maybe some of the other guys that regularly ride WC can chime in. :thumbsup: get out there! Its been great the past 2 weekends.

#4 ·
mudforlunch said:
First off, nice buck in you avatar, especially if its a mid-atlantic buck :)

White Clay is actually not too bad for a beginner if you take it slow. The faster you get, the twistier it becomes. The yellow loop, and the peters field loop (stay off the skills course until you are ready!) are pretty tame. The orange loop has some jumps and berms and bridges that might freak you out, but again, pretty chill at low speed. )
Thank you for the info.
Buck is from white clay right between Hopkins bridge/chambers rock road. 2009 12-point netted 154. Got a nice 200 lb 8-point in carpenter state park area off Hopkins this fall. Truly organic venison and it is delicious.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.