mtbr member
    Jul 2006

White Clay - 1st Timer

Well, I've ridden everything here in south Jersey a number of times, and I'm looking for something new. I read lots of reviews on White Clay, and wouldn't ya know it....the wifey has a baby shower to attend on Sunday afternoon . So, I will be venturing down to White Clay for the first time.

Just looking for some advice....
    What is the best route to get there? (coming from Jersey)
    Where to park? Best trailhead?
    Best trail?
    What to expect?

Post some pics....

Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Well I guarantee you will have a good time. I would recommend you goto www.kencox.net to get the latest trailmap. He has done a fantastic job of making the most bike friendly trailmap you might ever use. He also has a lot of cool info and pictures about White Clay/Middle Run. As for directions, hopefully someone on here can give you good directions. I take a very goofy route myself and would probably get you lost. I will tell you though, that I park at the lot on 9mile Rd. which is a right hand turn off of Thompson Station Rd. I like to park there because it gets me close to the skills park which has some fun stuff to play on. Its fast and flowy and extremely well maintained. I think its one of the most fun places to ride, in the NJ, Del, Phil. area. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rutkiller
    Just looking for some advice....
    What is the best route to get there? (coming from Jersey)
    Where to park? Best trailhead?
    Best trail?
    Take I-95 south to the Newark/Route 273 exit. Bear right on the exit ramp toward Newark. After the 3rd traffic light, get into the right lane and take a right (the right is actually the 4th traffic light, just a few hunded feet after the previous light) at a sign for Red Mill Road. Make an immediate left onto Red Mill Road and follow it over 1 RR and under another RR to a large 4-way intersection and light at Kirkwood Highway (Route 2).

You now have some options:

1) Go across K-wood highway to Polly Drummond Road and follow it to the shopping plaza with McGlynns pub (as noted on Ken's Map) and park there. You can access the trail system by turning left from the lot on Polly Drummond Road and then crossing over the road to the other side at the church driveway, or

2) Turn left on K-wood highway, then go 2 lights and make a right onto Possum Park Road (Wendy's on the right). Follow Possum Park road for 2 miles or so to Possum Hollow Road (small sign for Tri State Bird Santuary and a Korean church on right). Turn right onto Possum Hollow Raod and follow it for approx 1 mile to a partially hidden gravel drive and sign for Middle Run Natural area on the left (if you come to the gate for Tri-State Bird Sanctuary, you have gone about 100 feet too far). Follow the gravel drive to the parking area at the end and access the trails from a short paved path at the far corner of the lot.

You can also Mapquest Tri-State Bird Sanctuary for directions and maps.

I would download Ken's map that will show all parking areas and access points. Bear in mind parking at any of the White Clay lots will cost you $6. Parking at the Middle Run lot or at McGlynn's will be free. Of course, if you care to donate to the State of Delaware, feel free to do so. Pay boxes are located at the White Clay parking lots. The Delaware DNREC does a lot for the trails. Or write a check and send it to the Delaware Trailspinners and we'll see it gets put to good use on trail maintenance. Mark donation in the notes section.

TS

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    What time you figuring on be in town? Generally there are a decent number of riders out and more then willing get you in the right direction. The trail system is great cause almost everything is a loop and its nearly impossible to get lost. I will probably be out that way on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstStateCamber
    What time you figuring on be in town? Generally there are a decent number of riders out and more then willing get you in the right direction. The trail system is great cause almost everything is a loop and its nearly impossible to get lost. I will probably be out that way on Sunday.

Well, bad news strikes...... I had planned on getting there around 1:00 pm or so, but I won't be heading down now. I've had a horrible cough for the last week, and my doc ordered some chest x-rays yesterday afternoon. The results weren't good, and now I'm doped up on a few kinds of meds, one of them having Codeine. I do hope to be down there next Saturday or Sunday though....the 20th or 21st. I want to rid myself of this cough....everytime my breathing rate goes up, I start hacking away and I can hardly catch my breath. I went for a short ride around my neighborhood and I could hardly take a deep breath without nearly choking. A few of the neighbors looked at me like I was dying or something. Rats....I was looking forward to this ride too. Hope the weather holds up for next week...

Members who have read this thread: 0