mtbr member

Where to ride near DC

Just started working in Friendship Heights a couple of months ago and was wondering if anybody had some suggestions for after work rides close to there?

beautiful jackass
    Off road? From the looks of the map, you couldn't have a worse place for convenient riding. Unless I'm forgetting a trail, it looks like you're around 20 miles from the closest ones. And it would be a nightmare getting to any of them after work.

Sorry.

Too bad Rock Creek Park doesn't allow off road riding.

mtbr member
    First off, welcome to the area. Come by the Mid Atlantic Offroad Enthusiasts (MORE)'s website, Home Page | MORE-MTB. In our Forums area we have a "Where to ride" section that lists most of the area mountain bike trails. In DC, there's a trail in Ft. Dupont Park that's an easy 8-ish mile out-and-back. But if you're open to a drive, there's tons of riding within 30 minutes of the DC line, and some of the best riding in the Eastern US is about an hour north. Check out MORE's website!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Best/funnest after-work ride - Wakefield Park. Pick a day to punch out of work early to beat the 395 traffic and enjoy a solid hour or two of fun riding on the obstacle loop and "The Bowl"

Best/funnest close by week end ride - Fountainhead Regional Park or Laurel Hill (if you prefer less technical, rolling trails)

I live in VA, so I'm biased. I know there's good riding in MD too. Schaefer Farms is not too far from your corner of DC, I do believe. In DC itself, pretty much just Fort Circle. C&O Canal is a great gravel grinder ride, if you're into that.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    You're about 25 mins away from Schaeffer Farm, the Seneca Ridge Trail and Seneca Creek State Park. Schaeffer and the SRT are the better of the 3, but Seneca Creek offers some nice easy trail riding.
    Definitely check out Fountainhead. Probably also about 25 mins away from you into Virginia.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Cabin John is probably one of the closer trails to you - in Bethesda by Montgomery Mall.

"After work" in the DC Area means you'll be stuck in traffic no matter where you head to. Schaffer Farms is probably a great bet as well. Wakefield is on the beltway and may take just as long to get to.

If you just want to "ride" you can do a great loop (no off-road) on the rock creek trail and the CCT.

Follow the advice and hook up with MORE, great people that will show you places to ride. I'm working on an update to the DC/MD MTB Guide - but that won't be out for a while ;-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    after 5 yrs of road biking, I finally decided to try mountain biking. I plan on taking my wife & kids (ages 7, 9 & 16) with me but not sure where to go. Is there an "EASY" bike trail that's suitable for them? I live 10 mins from Fountainhead

Bicycle Radical
    Quote Originally Posted by odyssey12305 View Post
    after 5 yrs of road biking, I finally decided to try mountain biking. I plan on taking my wife & kids (ages 7, 9 & 16) with me but not sure where to go. Is there an "EASY" bike trail that's suitable for them? I live 10 mins from Fountainhead
    I'd say to go to Laurel Hill for easy trails:

Laurel Hill Park

I've taken my wife there. She is a complete beginner on a bike and enjoys herself at Laurel Hill while learning new skills riding off road. This park is only 10 minutes from Fountainhead.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Laurel Hill is good. It also depends on your 7-yo. Try meadowood. A super easy and fun loop is Burke and Mercer lakes. Kids love those. Don't go there on the weekend though, it's a mob scene...

Further south go to Locust Shade, great short single track loop. Prince William forest park has some nice fire roads for beginners and kids and a new 1/4 mile single track action built by IMBA...

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hey guys...I tried to go to Laurel Hill last Saturday but I didn't know where to park (so I ended up at fountainhead LOL). From Ox rd, right on Lorton Rd, I ended up on Silverbrook rd. Did I go too far? Help please :-)

psycho cyclo addict

Where to ride near DC

Hey guys...I tried to go to Laurel Hill last Saturday but I didn't know where to park (so I ended up at fountainhead LOL). From Ox rd, right on Lorton Rd, I ended up on Silverbrook rd. Did I go too far? Help please :-)
    The MORE web site has directions... and descriptions of all the trails in the area. Here's the link for Laurel Hill.

http://www.more-mtb.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18029
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yes, you went too far. The park is actually called Giles Run Park, not Laurel Hill. Its a bit confusing. Coming from Ox Rd, the entrance to the parking lot is on the left side just before the road expands from 2 lanes into 4. To get to the Laurel Hill trails, you have to ride the Cross Country Trail down about a mile or so.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Great link for NOVA Trails - Log Off Ride OnTrails and Routes Wiki They need to add Meadowoods, but otherwise its a great resource.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    You didn't go far enough down Lorton rd. Keep going until you see the big park sign on the right (or left depending on which way you are driving on Lorton) which says "Laurel Hill". Drive up until you hit the parking lot between the old prison and golf course.

From the parking lot, you can ride the CCT up to the bulk of the trails or up by the golf course/playground area, there is an entrance for the Giles Run meadow trail. It'll loop you around and connect you to the CCT. Fun little trail to add some more to the ride. You can do it at the start of your ride or add it at the end.

See this map: http://www.logoffrideon.com/trails/i..._map_wip_4.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby_tables View Post
    You didn't go far enough down Lorton rd.
    No dude, the OP was coming from Ox Rd., not I-95 or Rte 1. He overshot the park entrance, which is pretty easy to do because its surrounded by trees, the road is narrow and windy, and the traffic goes too fast.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    No dude, the OP was coming from Ox Rd., not I-95 or Rte 1. He overshot the park entrance, which is pretty easy to do because its surrounded by trees, the road is narrow and windy, and the traffic goes too fast.
    Sorry, my mistake. Either way there's a big sign which says "Laurel Hill".

Edit: Here's what you're looking for (should come up in street view). lorton va - Google Maps

I guess there's also a sign that says Giles Run...and Laurel Hill.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby_tables View Post
    Sorry, my mistake. Either way there's a big sign which says "Laurel Hill".

Edit: Here's what you're looking for (should come up in street view). lorton va - Google Maps

I guess there's also a sign that says Giles Run...and Laurel Hill.
    Thanks. Yeah, I could be wrong about the sign. I thought the sign said Giles Run, but I could be wrong about that. I haven't been out there in a few weeks. It might even say Laurel Hill Park Giles Run Meadow or something like that. Anyway, its where the parking lot is. And the frisbee golf course is fun for a little post-run horsing around. I do that with my kids sometimes. Laurel Hill is a GREAT trail system for kids, BTW.

Bicycle Radical

Where to ride near DC

The sign at the park entrance says Giles Run Meadow Park and when coming from Ox Road, it will be on your left.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich