Aussie Battler
    Sep 2005

Where to ride???

My vacation plans have just been scuttled (by a work related diversion) and I will now find myself closer to you guys than to NorCal where my original riding plans would've seen me (Tahoe) next week.

I (and wifey) have 4 or 5 days to fill ridin' bikes, eatin' and drinkin'. Where should we go???

mtbr member
    If you like smooth, flowy XC-type stuff with lots of climbs for a good aerobic workout, check out Fountainhead Regional Park in Lorton, VA. If you like rocks, rocks and more rocks, go to Gambrill State Park outside Frederick, MD. If you want to drive a couple of hours, go to Harrisonburg, VA. Lots of great riding there that can fill up a few days. Schaeffer Farm and Rosaryville in MD are also good flowy options.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2005 Independent Fabrication Deluxe

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnold View Post
    My vacation plans have just been scuttled (by a work related diversion) and I will now find myself closer to you guys than to NorCal where my original riding plans would've seen me (Tahoe) next week.

I (and wifey) have 4 or 5 days to fill ridin' bikes, eatin' and drinkin'. Where should we go???
    This is a Virgina, WV, Maryland, DC and Delware forum. You want us to tell you where to ride when we don't know where you're going to be?
    Might as well just post, gonna be in the US, where should I ride.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Aussie Battler
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    This is a Virgina, WV, Maryland, DC and Delware forum. You want us to tell you where to ride when we don't know where you're going to be?
    Might as well just post, gonna be in the US, where should I ride.
    Erm, "CLOSER TO YOU GUYS". That would be Virginia, WV, Maryland etc.
    Work commitment is in Ohio. Looking for suggestion in that general quater/ half of the country. I've heard there is good riding in WV..??.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    There's a lot of good riding in central MD too. Easily 5 parks within 40 minutes of each other.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Aussie Battler
    Sep 2005
    Thanks prgfan1, iso100.
    Sounds like MD is an option. Do you know where i could find trail info/ maps etc? Is there a MD mtb club/ association?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks prgfan1, iso100.
    Sounds like MD is an option. Do you know where i could find trail info/ maps etc? Is there a MD mtb club/ association?
    Try this:
    http://www.more-mtb.org

If you like challenging technical stuff go to Patapsco. For something fairly easy, flowy, smooth and like a rollercoaster try Rosaryville.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Work commitment is in Ohio. Looking for suggestion in that general quater/ half of the country. I've heard there is good riding in WV..??.
    Unfortunately, if you are operating out of Ohio, that's still quite a hike over and a lot of ground to cover. There's good riding to be had all over the place in the mid-Atlantic depending on what you are looking to do though. I would suggest knocking off some of the IMBA "epics" in the area: IMBA Epics Rides | International Mountain Bicycling Association and hit up some of the bike parks like Snowshoe (WV) and 7 Springs (PA).

If you are looking to do some sightseeing in DC, bring your bike, there are a lot of good trails in the area as well. (See iso100's link.)

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Davis and Slatyfork in West Virginia. Douthat State Park, George Washington National Forest - Harrisonburg, Jefferson National Forest (and Carvins Cove) - Roanoke are a few spots I like in Virginia. Outdoornut speaks highly of the Wayne National Forest in Ohio and I believe he also likes Mountwood over near the WV/OH border somewhere. Lots of good riding in the area, lots of rocks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Look I'm not trying to be an ass but even saying Ohio, not telling where in OH, how far you're willing to drive, what kind of riding you're looking for. What are you expecting as far as valid responses?

I know, my riding buddy is from Ohio originally and it's an 8 hour plus drive home for him. Are you willing to drive that far? Further?

I can rattle off a ton of parks around me in MD. Are they fun- yes. Worth driving 8 hours for- no.

Here - Whiteclay, DE
    Last edited by TwoTone; 09-20-2013 at 11:55 AM.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    You bring up a good subject for another thread: Where *WOULD* you (we) drive 8 hours to ride?

mtbr member
    Rothrock State Forest in PA would almost certainly be closer to OH than anything in MD or VA. Fantastic riding there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ray's in Cleveland opens up first week of October. Home

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, where in OH is needed to really respond. I'm not familiar with anything in OH, but I know IN and WV have great rides. Need more 411.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    but I know IN and WV have great rides.
    As far as IN goes, outside of Brown County, there's nothing worth driving to and even that's stretching it. For world-class trails worth making a long drive, you have to head east. If you are going west, you may as well just keep going until you hit CO.

Aussie Battler
    Sep 2005
    8hrs drive to and from awesome riding for min 3days riding would be my gauge.
    Ohio work diversion has fallen through so I don't need to make imediate plans. Un-interupted 6 days in Tahoe.
    Thanks for the replies. A couple of areas to look up when I do make it to the area.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    You could spend three days lost on trails in Rothrock and never repeat. Smooth and flowy though, not a ton of that there. Locals have a nickname 'rock rock' for a reason.

'Purple Lizard' puts out maps of Rothrock and Bald Eagle forests, good stuff. You could stay in/near State College and ride those and Raystown Lake trails (where Dirt Rag Dirt Fest is held).

Michaux State forest near Gettysburg has more smooth trails, may be harder to get trail info for though. More than three days of riding there though.

I hear great things about Davis WV, never been though. Maybe next year.