mtbr member

Where do you buy your parts from?

Just curious where you all are sourcing your bike parts from? As I've learned to wrench on my bike, I've been buying most parts online. The bike shops I've visited (excluding Performance) seem want MSRP.

Any shops around the DC area price competitively with Universal Cycles, Jenson, etc?
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

mtbr member
    Bikerbob (via email). Also bike-discount.de

Same experience here -shops price around full msrp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I get almost everything online, Jenson, Niagara, even Amazon. I will buy cheap generic items at the LBS like tubes, that's about it. LBS is always more expensive. If you know what you need just save money and order online. I want to support the bike shops I really do but their prices aren't even competitive.

mtbr member
    Jenson, Niagara and Universal are brick and mortar LBS too. Wish we could find the same discounts locally. God knows how much I've spent with those shops.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Can't blame the shops, the online guys don't play fair. Cost to the shop for many items is above what some of the discount sites sell for online... No way around that.

I try to remember that the shop doesn't just sell me the part and walk away, like the online retailer does... You've heard that speech before though so I won't beat a dead horse.

mtbr member
    Exactly TD! I Work in a shop P/T and won't beat the dead horse either.
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    So apparently you CAN score discounts around here, you just have to be "affiliated" with the shop. A few guys have told me they get 25% off on parts and 20% on bikes. I went to the LBS with one of them and all he did was tell them the race team he's on, that was it.

Guess I have to get faster...

mtbr member
    Why don't they buy from the online shops themselves and charge a little extra? My LBS wants 150.00 per wheel for XT, Jenson has the same brakes for 89.99. I would be willing to pay 100.00 and get them from the LBS. The guy at the shop said that Jensen sells fake brakes, have you ever heard of that?
    I have a gift card from the shop but it would be >200.00 out of pocket with taxes.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerLex View Post
    So apparently you CAN score discounts around here, you just have to be "affiliated" with the shop. A few guys have told me they get 25% off on parts and 20% on bikes. I went to the LBS with one of them and all he did was tell them the race team he's on, that was it.

Guess I have to get faster...
    Yes of course there are arrangements like that for many shops. Our race team gets a discount, as do some local clubs and military personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    Why don't they buy from the online shops themselves and charge a little extra? My LBS wants 150.00 per wheel for XT, Jenson has the same brakes for 89.99. I would be willing to pay 100.00 and get them from the LBS. The guy at the shop said that Jensen sells fake brakes, have you ever heard of that?
    I have a gift card from the shop but it would be >200.00 out of pocket with taxes.
    If Shimano catches them doing that they lose the right to sell and service their products altogether. Seriously. That's why I say the online guys don't play fair; they buy in a different market (or often even as leftovers from OEM manufacturers) at super low costs then compete with shops who have contractual obligations to the higher prices dictated by the manufacturer... Shops can't win, unless they provide something above and beyond which I truly believe we do.

I have heard of fake parts definitely, and I do cite that as a reason to avoid online retailers on occasion, however I personally have not experienced it. My guess is it does happen, but is not terribly common. I would think it is more common with less complex products like brake pads or cables.