mtbr member
    Jul 2008

what's going on at Wakefield?

I rode there the other day and it looks like there's a road constructure project going on the big hill under the powerlines. It looks like the trail that used to be there is graded and gravelled over. But its hard to tell for sure because the trails around it are closed off and I couldn't get close enough to tell. Anyone know what the @#! is going on? How much the trail are they going to rip up and grade over? It looks like big chunky gravel that will be a real PITA to ride over. BTW, I don't who "they" is - Fairfax County? Dominion Power? The park? But somebody's "improving" the access road there. Don't know if its anything to worry about or not.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks for the link! Good info. But that's not it. The activity isn't on the CCT, its on the powerline access road that goes up the hill after splitting off the the CCT past the power station. Maybe its nothing to worry about, but it did look like a section of trail - the part with the boardwalk - was widened and gravelled over.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Well, I rarely ride there anymore, but to me it always seems as if there's some form of construction going on at Wakefield anyway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The county is doing a stream restoration project in that area to combat the erosion and runoff from the beltway construction, and had to temporarily move the wooden features and gravel the area for the heavy equipment since the area is so wet. I've heard that once the work is done the trail will be restored, but I dunno what the timeline on the restoration work is.

The county has an info site up about ongoing stream restoration work...if the end product at Little Pimmit Run is any indication, this should be an improvement in the long run, even if it's a pain while the work is going on: Stream Restoration and Stabilization*- Fairfax County, Virginia

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    That must be it! Thanks.