mtbr member

What are the Patapsco 100 trails like?

I usually come in at the Landing Rd entrance and ride the trails in that area, sometimes crossing over the river for the trails immediately on the other side. The trail map is up for the Patapsco 100 and they all look way farther north & west than what I usually ride (from the website: The Patapsco 100 and 66 mile race course will travel through Pickall , Hollofield*, Daniels, lower THRU trail, McKeldin, Woodstock, upper THRU trail and Alberton areas of Patapsco Valley State Park). Is anybody familiar with these trails? How are they (climbs, rocks, etc?)

Here's a link to the race & map:
    https://www.bikereg.com/Net/18308
    2013 Cannondale Scalpel 29er 1x10
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS rigid
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid
    Southern Maryland Crew

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    The same but different. Pickall is the most technical part, similar to Cascade or Santee Branch with rock gardens, logs, and some technical bits. The other trails are mostly ridge trail, flowy singletrack. IMO more climby than Avalon - you're either going up or down with no real breaks, except for a few long flat doubletrack sections that run next to the river. There are some big climbs, but we're only talking 300-400 elevation gain at most. The one I can think of is similar to the Soapstone cardiac climb (not the one up to the PnR, the other singletrack climb that is next to the park road). The danger would be redlining too much on the short, steep climbs, which can add up and cause you to blow up.

Fun trails, you should definitely get out there and explore a bit when the conditions are good (i.e. when frozen or when things dry up, pretty bad right now). Definitely a great alternative to Avalon. Or I'd be more than happy to guide folks about, but I'm not a fast rider - more of a "moderate pace singlespeeder". There will be rides lined up in the spring, including fast rides, when the trail conditions permit, through MORE or otherwise.

mtbr member
    Same same. Less ridden, that's for sure. If you ride Patapsco regularly, it's nothing crazy comparatively.

You should get up there and ride. Lots of good stuff. Some of the lower stuff is more weather dependent than most of what you ride though.

mk

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I'm definitely in if for no other reason than to learn some new trail

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    bikes are art you ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I ride Avalon with friends regularly. I did McKdin once but turned around at what I believe is the upper thru trail.

Don't know the thru trails at all, or Daniels other than a few trails I hit once.

I'd love to learn how to break out from Avalon to other areas of the park if anyone ever wants someone to ride with. I can do mid day weekdays ride too if anyone is up for it. That map only makes me more confused as to how to go about this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    TRAIL WORK - MORE/AFC Patapsco 100 Trail Work Series | MORE-MTB
    if you want to see the trails first hand they are doing build/maintenance days.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Just posted to this thread at MORE with some good gps routes. Patapsco 100 - MORE Forums