mtbr member
    Dec 2007

West Virginia trail recommendations

Hey all--

I'm planning a Memorial Day trip to do some rafting on the New, and I'd like to work in some mountain biking while we're down there. We'll be coming in from eastern PA, so anything along or not far from 79/68 would be ideal. As for trail type, I'll be with my girlfriend, who's fairly new to the sport. She's riding a good bike (Fisher Xcal) but hasn't had much exposure to technical trails. I'd appreciate any recommendations and general sight-seeing suggestions. Thanks, and if you're ever visiting PA, I'd be happy to return the favor.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rmagda58
    Hey all--

I'm planning a Memorial Day trip to do some rafting on the New, and I'd like to work in some mountain biking while we're down there. We'll be coming in from eastern PA, so anything along or not far from 79/68 would be ideal. As for trail type, I'll be with my girlfriend, who's fairly new to the sport. She's riding a good bike (Fisher Xcal) but hasn't had much exposure to technical trails. I'd appreciate any recommendations and general sight-seeing suggestions. Thanks, and if you're ever visiting PA, I'd be happy to return the favor.
    Cooopers Rock is just outside of Morgantown here and is a popular spot with a couple great lookout spots.

I'd offer to play tourguide but I have plans to be out of town myself that wkend.

Not sure what to type?
    These guys are in Fayetteville and have some decent trails.
    http://adventurewestvirginia.com/

If that's not your cup of tea, there are some trails in the Fayetteville area that are available to the public.
    Check out New River Bike or Marathon Bikes - both in downtown Fayetteville.
    The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze!!!

bikeboatbrewski
    Also near Morgantown is Big Bear campground(next door to Coopers) with tons of built trails. Down near the New there is Gauley mountain area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Fayetteville Town Park is pretty friendly for new riders. Call Adam at Marathon Bikes. Ace Adventures (one of the whitewater companies) also has good newbie riding. Ace did not use to charge to ride on their property. If they do now and you are not rafting with Ace, check with who you are rafting with, chances are good that Ace owns the company you are using. All of the rafting companies are starting to merge into the two biggies: Ace and Class VI. Both places can be plenty of fun even if you are an experienced rider as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Rode Coopers today and it was awesome! First time I've ever been there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    valley falls is in fairmont, wv about 20 min south on 79 from morgantown. It's got some pretty nice trails. I ride there a good bit.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyd3487
    valley falls is in fairmont, wv about 20 min south on 79 from morgantown. It's got some pretty nice trails. I ride there a good bit.

I agree. Nothing really that technical but fun. I head there soemtimes for an afterwork ride. You will wear out you legs on those short but STEEP little climbs. Afterwards, you can relax at the falls and soak in the view.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    BTW: If you're looking for camping recommendations, Sandsprings campground is across the I-68 from Coopers and is a great place for tenting or campers. Has a bathhouse but you'll need some quarters for the showers.

yelgatgab
    Jan 2004
    Quebec Run is just over the border in PA. Great riding, if you can find it. Wamsleys in Morgantown is a great shop and a great resource for places to ride.

mtbr member
    I second the big bear recomendation. Place is a blast. It might be a bit busy for camping inside the park on that weekend though.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. This will be my first foray deep into WV. Looking forward to it, for sure. Wish I had more than four days to play!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Watters Smith part off the Lost Creek exit (between 99 and 119 but I can't remember which one) GREAT for beginners. Not terrible climbing and not terribly long.

I did valley falls 2 years ago and I thought the camber and climbs would kill me. I am looking forward to going back now...