mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Weekend getaway-Suggestions for trails in VA

Hey Fellow Mountain bikers,

Thinking of escaping the snowy cold of the north for a weekend. Are there trails rideable in VA at this time of the year? We are thinking of driving south next weekend, any suggestions for trails that are in rideable conditions? We love anything technical, freeride oriented, or really any sweet trail systems to explore!

Thanks for any suggestions

Lance Criminal
    Oct 2012
    Not sure about the conditions of the trails but Freedom Park in Williamsburg, VA is pretty good. Trail C has a lot of freeride features like a few jumps and some drops as well as log rides, teeters, and the like. There is also an 8 ft drop there for the more experienced. I separated my shoulder trying that one but it was still fun. I just wished my GoPro was working when I hit it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Freedom Park is a good option. 5 trails to choose from with all kind of riding conditions. Keep an eye on the weather though as it is the first park to close. York River State Park and New Quarter park are nearby as well.

I am the owl
    This time of year I would look at the Fort Valley/Elizabeth Furnace area of the George Washington National Forest. I saw photos from this weekend and trails were clear of snow. Sweet tech riding down there, decent maps available to buy and trails are fairly well marked.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LaXCarp View Post
    Hey Fellow Mountain bikers,

Thinking of escaping the snowy cold of the north for a weekend. Are there trails rideable in VA at this time of the year? We are thinking of driving south next weekend, any suggestions for trails that are in rideable conditions? We love anything technical, freeride oriented, or really any sweet trail systems to explore!

Thanks for any suggestions
    In the mountains it is hit or miss. Even if there is no snow, they can be really muddy. Best to ask when the time comes.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Another vote for Freedom Park in Williamsburg. It's hard not to have fun there. I made an attempt to ride there this past Saturday but it was closed due to rain. If there is any rain the day before or the day of, it will probably be closed.

Also, you can search for trails here:
    Mountain Bike Trails || SINGLETRACKS.COM

They have a pretty extensive database.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx View Post
    This time of year I would look at the Fort Valley/Elizabeth Furnace area of the George Washington National Forest. I saw photos from this weekend and trails were clear of snow. Sweet tech riding down there, decent maps available to buy and trails are fairly well marked.
    If there is no snow and tech riding is desired, it would be hard to beat the Massanutten Mountain area.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Fountainhead maybe? Not sure of its condition.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Trails in northern and southeastern va are totally hit or miss this time of year. Of two trails mentioned already, freedom and fountainhead, they are both actively managed. If it is wet, they are closed. Both trail systems are fun, but I'm not sure I'd make them destination rides either, even if they are dry and open.

With the exception of a few shorter trails I'm familiar with, most trails in VA tend to not handle moisture well. When I lived in Chesapeake, I rode in Williamsburg quite a bit. Now, I'm in DC. I have zero experience with GWNF rides this time of year except for two rides at Elizabeth Furnace. It just turns out that when I did those rides, conditions elsewhere were fine.

another bozo on the bus
    Elizabeth's Furnace/ Fort Valley if you are making the trip. Very rocky, so it drains well with minimal mud. This weekend we rode up there and it was great on the ridge. Raining a lot this week and might get something of the frozen variety tomorrow. Keep an eye on the weather.