mtbr member

No good Watershed Riding Uncool?

Was looking to get out to the watershed when google turned up this:

More Forum Posting - Rogue Trails

LORO Wiki - Watershed

Anyone have any news on whether MORE is calming the Frederick/DNR? Has anyone been stopped by a park officer or anything?

My little friends
    It's cool to ride there, but "officially" uncool to post maps and/descriptions. The building and posting of new trails seems to have struck a nerve though. Never have seen a DNR official or vehicle up there myself.

mtbr member
    The issue is more with the posting of trails and generally promoting it as a riding destination. Remember that the Shed isn't a park, its private land owned by the city of Frederick. Its only managed by DNR on behalf of the city. They generally seem ok with people riding there, but definitely do not want it promoted online.

The recent explosion of people posting detailed descriptions of trails (and the cutting of new ones) seems to have a hit a nerve with the people running things.

mtbr member
    Gotcha, I guess I'll just have to go and wander around until I stumble upon the trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Locals Rule, But Posting Locals Trails is Bad.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by honns View Post
    Gotcha, I guess I'll just have to go and wander around until I stumble upon the trails.
    Better to go with someone/group who is well familiar with the place. Carpool if you can.

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by jabberwocky View Post
    its private land owned by the city of Frederick
    This isn't Shed related, but am I the only one that has a problem with gov't entities thinking their land is private and not actually owned by it's citizens? I understand posting/not allowing folks to ramble about a military base and similar, but I see signs like that all the time on unused gov't owned tracts of land that do nothing but hold the earth together. The idea that you can get a trespassing ticket on land you've bought, paid for, maintained, and handed to you by your "employee" is wrong on many basic levels.
    Charlottesville Area Mountain Bike Club
    www.cambc.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    This isn't Shed related, but am I the only one that has a problem with gov't entities thinking their land is private and not actually owned by it's citizens? I understand posting/not allowing folks to ramble about a military base and similar, but I see signs like that all the time on unused gov't owned tracts of land that do nothing but hold the earth together. The idea that you can get a trespassing ticket on land you've bought, paid for, maintained, and handed to you by your "employee" is wrong on many basic levels.
    Well, there is obviously more too it than just "keep off this land". Environmental issues, preservation issues, habitat protection, etc....but more often than not it's "advocacy" groups internally squabbling over who has priority to use these areas once they've been opened up. Every group wants to keep every other group out. Mountain bikers usually have poor representation.

bikeboatbrewski
    Quote Originally Posted by honns View Post
    Jus git up thar and ride it. Yull figr it out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirewilly View Post
    The point of me saying that is to point out that, while its public land, it isn't a park. The major sticking point for the city is that because it isn't a park, they don't want to devote resources to it as if it is (because they don't have those resources). There are certain guidelines that publicly accessible parks need to follow by code and law; if the Shed becomes promoted as a riding destination, it would run into those guidelines and the city would be forced to put resources into it.

Hence the reason the shed has always been a "keep it on the downlow" sort of place. Frederick is fine with letting us ride there, since we don't interfere with the lands primary purpose (collection of water for the city) and act as a defacto trail patrol, but they absolutely do not want it promoted as a riding destination.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

The Shed

Best trails in the region... you can ride them all year-round, better bring your A game though. Keep it on the DL, don't want to ruin the beauty.

mtbr member
    Some important info on the Shed just posted at MORE:

Important Frederick Watershed Update! - MORE Forums

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirewilly View Post
    This isn't Shed related, but am I the only one that has a problem with gov't entities thinking their land is private and not actually owned by it's citizens? .

No, you're not. Seems to be a lot of this going around lately (not necessarily limited to MTBing...)

My little friends
    Can you post the timber cutting map on this forum?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. I can't believe people are setting up traps for bikers.

As to the point of public land, it's more a function of "public for everyone, not just mountain bikers". We want trails there, some people (mainly the hunters, if I had a guess) don't want trails there. So you've got multiple parties claiming the land is theirs. I imagine if the Gov't didn't stick its nose in there, things could get ugly between the peddlers and the men with guns.

I am the owl
    Map attached. The black dotted line is Stoner Rd.

Also attached is an image of one of the razor blade boards found buried in the dirt on the trail. 2 of these have been reported found in the last week, in the area north of Hamburg Rd and east of Fishing Creek Rd
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Watershed Riding Uncool?-timber-harvest-map.jpg  

Watershed Riding Uncool?-razor-blade.jpg  

SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

My little friends
    L.M. getting mowed?

mtbr member
    I believe so

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    GD...it takes one demented mind to build razor traps like that. It never ends with the trail sabotuers up there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by riderx View Post
    Map attached. The black dotted line is Stoner Rd.

Also attached is an image of one of the razor blade boards found buried in the dirt on the trail. 2 of these have been reported found in the last week, in the area north of Hamburg Rd and east of Fishing Creek Rd
    The second pic looks like a felony to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Are the trails rideable after all the snow that fell?
    "Want to ride some more miles...?"