Ride.Recover.Beer.

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! WARNING to Honeygo Park Trail Users

If anyone on here uses the walking/riding trails there, BEWARE. This afternoon, a friend and I both had a scare. I took a spill after slidding on branch that was tucked under leaves. As I'm laying there, my buddy comes sprinting up the hill just to make sure I was ok. I get up, dust myself off, and here is where the fun began...

My buddy asks if I heard someone yell, "You MF'in mountain bikes!" as we were climbing the hill. I said didn't. As I pick my bike up, and turn to face him, I see a hunter sprinting Rambo style, with a rifle in his hands towards us.

Long story short, this guy was on an ego trip, using every word in the book, my friend and i stood there swallowing every ridiculous insult he said. He obviously had a screw loose, and was a loose cannon, just by the way he spoke.

We got back to my truck, threw the bikes in, went straight to the police station by White Marsh Mall. Filed a report. Next thing we know, the officer behind the desk is calling in Aerial Assistance on the radio for the handful of officers that went in looking for him.
    Cops found "one" hunter with a bow, but was told "he did not know the one with the rifle". Sure.

Inconclusion, if you are back there, PLEASE be careful. Walking, riding, whatever. I'm calling DNR tomarrow, and informing them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    That reminds me of a funny story. Some time ago a friend of mine went riding in a state park. While riding he was acosted by a hunter who told him he "was riding illegally;" that "couldn't be there;" that "he was a pansy;" and that he was "stupid" etc, etc . . . . What was really wierd was that the area where my friend was riding is a common route for many mountain bikers Ironically, my friend was the superintendant of the park. Needless to say, things went downhill from there for the hunter.

I took away from this story that many (not all) hunters spend only hunting season in the woods, and many of those same people have an unreasonable sense of ownership and superiority while hunting. They don't realize that many mountain bikers spend 12 months a year in the woods and are used to sharing.

the moon master
    good lord. how much actual trails are back there? i've been on the paved paths, but not on the trails that lead off of them...

AND...you can HUNT in white marsh??!!
    ridin in bmore

Old rigid hardtail
    not sure about BaCo but in others there is a distance restriction to residential/ commercial buildings.....but a little while back in HoCo a hunter put a round through a window at a daycare during the work week .....still

I'm just messing with you
    Many hunters will murder dogs because they're running "their" deer. It's not a stretch to go from that to treating riders the same way.

My policy is to just let them have the woods during hunting season.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

Ride.Recover.Beer.
    Veterans day has all the county agencys closed. I'll have to wait to speak with someone tomarrow.

There is a huge loop of old 4wheeler trails back there, then 2 or 3 singletrack trails that break off the main and loop around as well. We have a few large log piles set up to play on. You'd be surprised. It's very easy to get lost if you're back there by yourself for the first time. For being 3 minutes from my home, its a great area to get a ride in, if time is limited.

dmb - I think this screwball lives in one of the 3 adjacent homes to the park. Which one, I'm not sure. I'm sure before the Honeygo extension was built, and the park created, he hunted the woods for years, as they were 3 times the size and being so tucked away. Present day, its unacceptable. I've seen mom's walking their children, people walk dogs. You can have anyone with a gun, let alone full camo and a rifle walking around.

smb - I'm sure B.Co is one of the strictest in the state. What the rules say, I don't know, but like I said, I will be on the horn tomarrow. Thing is, if we were on this man's property, which I'm 99% confident we weren't, there is not ONE sign posted, saying anything about private property, hunting, etc etc. Again, there are trails that'll run you within 200feet of I95 if you keep fallowing them. No signs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Just wondering, where exactly are those trails at Honeygo Park? Is there alot of singletrack to ride? Or enough to make maybe an 8-10 mile loop?

Ride.Recover.Beer.
    If you're standing in the parking lot, facing the new astro-turf field that was just put in, its about 11 o'clock from there, behind the field. Just ride the paved walked all the way down, and you will see the opening into the woods, along with a sign that states "No Paintball."

8-10miles? Not a chance. Maybe 3-4? There's so many ways that lead to nowhere, that its tough to put a distance on. It's not uncommon to be back there for an hour or two, riding around, when in reality, we're riding in and out of a big circle.

The thing that constantly comes out of our mouths when we get back there is "this place has serious potential..."

kevboz
    Jul 2007
    I live really close to there. I could ride my bike to that park. It has been a few years since I have ridden there. You're right.. a lot of potential. I'm willing to put in some time and make it better. anyone else?

Red Dragons
    My GF and I went MTBing for the first time this past weekend and these are the trails we went on since they are right around the corner from our house. It's kind of nerve racking to hear a story like this. Granted this was a year ago and they have really built up the whole park area and it has become quite a family oriented park, and I can pretty much guarantee that whoever this "hunter" was probably was not allowed to be there legally.

A lot of the trails we rode on do wind around and go back into areas that are pretty "off the beaten path" for lack of a better term lol. Hopefully this was just a fluke situation and it hasn't occurred again and this guy has found something better to do with his time.

I think that these trails really do have a lot of potential and for it's location pretty much in the heart of the White Marsh area could attract a lot of riders in the area. Like I said me and my girl were on these trails this past Saturday 9/4/10 and Monday 9/6/10 and we took the trails back pretty far until a few of them ended and there was no one on them there were a few hikers on the main trail but none on the trails that branch off.

kevboz
    Jul 2007
    to TheFuture01:

how many miles of trails do you think you rode on?

Red Dragons
    I honestly couldn't tell you, we were too pumped on it being our first time out on the trails. you know what i mean?

mtbr member
    I ride there regularly, so far I have no problem getting 3-4 miles with out repeating a loop, their are a ton of paths in all directions. Some of them are well above my skill set so I dont explore them.

Might have to walk the trails with my GPS to map it all out.
    Clydesdale: 315lbs (July 2010) now down 35 lbs on my journey from obese to triathlete...

http://iambigtuna.blogspot.com/

Red Dragons
    I am going to use EveryTrail on my blackberry when I go out, most likely this Saturday or Sunday and map out as much of the trail as I can.

Red Dragons
    <a href="http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=803467">honey go run at EveryTrail</a><br><iframe src="http://www.everytrail.com/iframe2.php?trip_id=803467&width=400&height=300" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="400" height="300"></iframe>EveryTrail - Find <a href="http://www.everytrail.com/best/hiking-california">hiking trails in California</a> and beyond

Here is an overview of the trails at Honeygo Run park that we rode on Saturday now this is all the tracks I didn't really separate them, I will actually do that today as I am heading out there today after work. When we were there Saturday we found a whole other area of trails that we hadn't seen the first few times and I know that there were other trails off of those that we didn't go down yet. Here is a link to the EveryTrail page with an animated version of the map and other stats:

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip....7532c4c87f5b08

kevboz
    Jul 2007
    Looks like about 3 miles of trails. Not too bad. What time are you going to be there today? I may head up myself. I live right near cross street.

mtbr member
    There is atleast 2 more trails not on there, one enters/exits by the baseball diamond, that is loop the dumps out onto the main walking path. Also there is another one I believe off of that one but looks like its barely ridden.
    Clydesdale: 315lbs (July 2010) now down 35 lbs on my journey from obese to triathlete...

http://iambigtuna.blogspot.com/

the moon master
    here's a map i made this spring. i rode every trail i could find...looped through the same areas a couple times, so it might not actually be 5.4 miles total, but probably not far from 5.

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=607359

there's some cool stuff back there, like the big rock formations that are right across the stream from the main trail. very surprised when i rode right up to the highway too!
    ridin in bmore

Red Dragons
    Quote Originally Posted by kevboz
    Looks like about 3 miles of trails. Not too bad. What time are you going to be there today? I may head up myself. I live right near cross street.

Sorry I didn't get back to you in time man we got up there around 5-530 and rode for about 40-45 minutes nothing to crazy. We may try and go up maybe on Friday don't know for sure yet, we have a crazy weekend coming up so I don't even know if we are going to be able to make it up at all this weekend .

You live right near Cross Street? Like downtown Cross Street or is there another Cross St in Perry Hall/ White Marsh?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Without a doubt, call NRP. They will take care of it.

here is the info you need or anyone in case-
    Natural Resources Police
    Central Region
    Gwynnbrook Office (Area 6)
    3738 Gwynnbrook Avenue, Owings Mills, MD 21117
    Tel: (800) 628-9944

Members who have read this thread: 0