mtbr member

New question here. Visiting DC from England

I'm arriving in DC from England on Saturday 12th August until Monday 21st. I've got lots of stuff planned and will be pretty busy but would love to get a few rides in. I live in the Yorkshire Dales - excellent XC country, and ten days is a long time to go without a ride or two.

Can anyone tell me where I can hire a half decent bike (I ride a Marin full suss), if there are any trails I can get to from the city (no transport) and whether I should be visiting any particular shops to pick up some bargain MTB stuff while I'm there?

And if there's a group of riders who don't mind a 39 year old Brit tagging along let me know.

Many thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Fitz
    I'm arriving in DC from England on Saturday 12th August until Monday 21st. I've got lots of stuff planned and will be pretty busy but would love to get a few rides in. I live in the Yorkshire Dales - excellent XC country, and ten days is a long time to go without a ride or two.

Can anyone tell me where I can hire a half decent bike (I ride a Marin full suss), if there are any trails I can get to from the city (no transport) and whether I should be visiting any particular shops to pick up some bargain MTB stuff while I'm there?

And if there's a group of riders who don't mind a 39 year old Brit tagging along let me know.

Many thanks
    Weekend of the 19th I can show you Patapso. And I've got an "extra" bike if ya need it. I can loan you my '04 GF Sugar 4+. PM me if you're interested. BTW, I'm 6' 190lbs. So if your near that, then the bike should fit ya. I have TIME pedals on it, but we can swap them out for a ride if you bring your own.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

try this message board also

http://www.more-mtb.org

a DC based mountain biking group.

mtbr member
    There are several organized after work rides at Wakefield, and Fountain head trails in VA. You can see the schedule listed on the MORE website. These trails aren't too difficlut, but at least it's singletrack. I could pick you up at a VA metro stop (DC version of the Tube), and you could borrow one of my bikes, I've got a 16" Cannondale, and a 19" Jamis you could use, and we could hook up with the MORE ride, or just hit the trail on our own.

I'll be Monster Park at Snowshoe WV, on the weekend of Aug 18-20, so I can only do an after work ride.

All the good trails are around 1 hour from DC by car, and there is not really public transportation to them.

Members who have read this thread: 0