mtbr member

Virginia in late March/early April - where to go? Need some local knowledge

Hello to all,

Two Toronto based mtn bikers who are thinking that spring is way too far off are considering a Late March / early April visit to Vir.
    We assume that spring will likely be a month ahead of Toronto.
    We looking for a city/town to act as a base and places to do some mtn biking.

Virgina Beach looks like a long days drive with lots of places to rent - any mountain biking.
    We're looking for flowy trails vs. super technical

Hope this enough info to get a bit of feedback - thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    VA Beach is no where near any riding that I know of.
    Have you thought about Raystown Lake PA? There are a lot of cabin rentals in the area, and there is about 30 miles of amazing flow trails around the lake. If you are feeling like riding some more technical trails there are some within a reasonable drive too.
    If you are set on VA there are a ton of trails surrounding the DC area that range from flow to super technical.

Bicycle Radical
    If you want some technical riding, you would be best going to western parts of Virginia or West Virginia itself. The George Washington National Forest has some great riding that is quite challenging and unlike anything you will find in Ontario (I lived and rode in Toronto for a while).

Elizabeth Furnace has some good riding and there is other stuff in the Shenandoah Valley which will give you some rocky goodness. There are others on the forum who will know the mountain riding better than me though.

The DC area has all kinds of trails as CaptainAmerica1976 stated. You can find information about them at the following link:

Where to Ride - MORE Forums
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pikester View Post
    Hello to all,

Two Toronto based mtn bikers who are thinking that spring is way too far off are considering a Late March / early April visit to Vir.
    We assume that spring will likely be a month ahead of Toronto.
    We looking for a city/town to act as a base and places to do some mtn biking.

Virgina Beach looks like a long days drive with lots of places to rent - any mountain biking.
    We're looking for flowy trails vs. super technical

Hope this enough info to get a bit of feedback - thanks in advance.
    Virginia Beach is a very cool bike friendly town, but not a lot of singletrack. First Landing State Park has some, but not a lot. I think a lot of the folks in that area head over to Yorkstown & Williamsburg to ride. From what I hear Richmond has a lot of good riding too.

Western Virginia has tons of riding, much in the national forest. Harrisonburg and Roanoke are two good bases for national forest riding. Most of that riding requires extensive climbing and a fair amount of rocky tech stuff. Carvins Cove at Roanoke has some flowy stuff by the lake but the other half of the area is vertical. All in what you want. I am guessing eastern VA has more in the way of flowy stuff, if that is what you are craving. A little further south on I-77 is Wilksboro NC which is know for its flowy bermy trails.

mtbr member
    Great stuff guys, thanks alot!!!

Raystown Lake, PA - Is it far enough south that it might it be clear of snow in Mid-March? (I know your not the weatherman)

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    If you want flowy/swoopy stuff, plan to spend at least one day down in North Wilkesboro, North Carolina. Warrior creek is pretty mind blowing, and Overland Victory trails is also pretty good. Dark Mountain is not so flowy, but good as well. All are within about 10 miles of each other. One solid epic day, or two shorter ones.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    IF you did head to VA Beach, you can stop in Williamsburg at Freedom Park (google search freedom park williamsburg). It has over 20 miles of trails and some pretty good freeride trails. I consider it the best trails in eastern Virginia.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Right Down the Road From VIR

If you are going to VIR you might want to look at spending a little time in Danville VA which is 10 minutes from the track. Anglers Ridge Mountain Bike Trails has about 30 miles of trails now I have been told. I know it is rated as one of the best in the Virginia.

I just joined the site so I can't post any links but check out the city of Danville Virginia website or Southern Virginia Mountain Bike Association's webpage. you can find maps and info there.

mtbr member

Raystown Lake, PA - Is it far enough south that it might it be clear of snow in Mid-March? (I know your not the weatherman)
    I think so, but I am not 100% sure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm an hours drive away from Raystown and it's one of my weekly ride spots during the riding season. We still have snow on the ground, with temps forecasted to be in the 20s at night, high 30s during the day for the next week. We'll be experiencing freeze/thaw I'm guessing all March. Not ideal for riding, especially if you're traveling any distance to ride. I'd suggest heading further south.

Harrisonburg is good, but the weather can be really across the board in March. I'd suggest Richmond (lots of spots in and around the metro area), or North Wilkesboro, NC for XC riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Freedom Park in Williamsburg are hands down the best trails in eastern Va. Multiple loops, I tend to stay on C loop due to the free ride element there...Im a sucker for jumps/drops

mtbr member
    Why not Asheville, NC? If I was coming from far away solely for riding near a central location, that'd be it...super cool town with basically limitless riding options really close by. Unless you are choosing VA for some particular reason...

(I'm an NC transplant to the DC area, forgive my bias)