mtbr member

Virginia Bikepacking routes?

I already posted this in the bikepacking forum with zero responses. Does anybody have any bikepacking rotues they've done in Virginia? Of course the obvious would be the Virginia Mountain Bike Trail or portions of it. Does anyone have any GPS data for the VMBT or any others?

Thanks!!

another bozo on the bus
    I know the northern bits of the VMTBT were tracked and posted in one of the threads on last years ride. I don't use GPS so I can't help you out with that. The VMTBT has been put on the most recent edition of a Virginia cycling map so you may be able to track down gps info from their site. Plenty of stuff out there to overnight. How many nights, terrain, etc? The SDS route would make for a good three or four day. Technical stuff to the north such as fort valley or on the WVA side. Lots of options

mtbr member
    WashedUp. Thanks for the response. I've ridden the ST and a mix of that type of riding and soem fireroads thrown in would be great. I've never bikepacked before and do not want to start out with huge daily mileage, more looking to get out there and do some shorter days, camp and enjoy the scenery and dial my setup before going bigger. I saw the post with the northern VMBT gps data and stitched that all together into one gps file for reference. Good stuff. Anyone have the Stokesville to Dounthat as a GPS file?

I am the owl
    This shows most of the Stokesville to Douthat route it is day 1 of the SDS 3 day ride (credit: not my track, but a friend that was on the ride with me). SDS Day 1 & Prologue This GPS track contains a bit of other riding too, so you'll need to break it up.

I second what WashedUp said, the GW has tons of options. I would pick up the 2 Nat. Geo topo maps for the area and start studying and plotting - Staunton and I believe Front Royal (might be named something else) are the maps you want.

edit: added the missing link to the GPS track
    Last edited by riderx; 11-15-2012 at 10:51 AM.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've only recently gotten into bikepacking and except for a couple of local test runs have only done one real overnighter in the mountains. A couple of other plans got scrapped for different reasons, so I am probably looking at Spring for my next chance.

We departed from Douthat State Park and went out into the GWNF. Up Stony Run to Middle Mtn to Smith Creek Rd to Brushy Ridge. Brushy Ridge eventually hooks up with Little Mare Mountain, which was our goal. We had some navigation issues due to a recent burn and didn't find the BR extension off of the fire road section until Sunday AM, but we found a cool place to camp off down toward the end of the road.

I've become way more familiar with this area by continuing to scan the internet for info and study the National Geographic maps. All of these trails are on there and then some. I've been planning new and different routes for Spring. I'd recommend picking up a couple of these maps for the areas you are interested in. It gives some great perspective.

In my experience, it is hard to find a lot of first-hand info on the internet for some reason. However, if you get familiar with an area and are able to ask educated and direct questions to the right person, I find they will open up more.

I have no GPS data, but will dig around and see what other "notes" I have that you might find useful. Good luck.
    Am I all zipped up?

Escaping the Dreary Confines

mtbr member
    Here's a thought - Chris Tompkins who I associate with SVMBA (Danville) did some bikepacking trips in the past. I can't remember where he went; but if you try to contact him through SVMBA or Facebook (SVMBA or Chris Tompkins) - he might be able to help you out.
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info. I live along the 95 corridor and don't get out west enough to be all that familiar with the area. I've been up and downthe ST a few times and Douthat as well. I've been perusing Bikeroutetoaster and Garmin and tying GPS info together with GPS Prune so I think in the end I'll have either some good out and back or loops done up for next year.

BikerJen...thanks for the tip on SVMBA. Also for the GPS link. Someone posted the entire SDS route somewhere else that I grabbed but I'll have to rework it to make it one continuous loop since it looks like the SMT SDS route revolves around staying at a Douthat cabin and includes some shuttles. Not a bad deal for those that want to be guided.

another bozo on the bus
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerDude001 View Post
    Thanks for all the info. I live along the 95 corridor and don't get out west enough to be all that familiar with the area. I've been up and downthe ST a few times and Douthat as well. I've been perusing Bikeroutetoaster and Garmin and tying GPS info together with GPS Prune so I think in the end I'll have either some good out and back or loops done up for next year.

BikerJen...thanks for the tip on SVMBA. Also for the GPS link. Someone posted the entire SDS route somewhere else that I grabbed but I'll have to rework it to make it one continuous loop since it looks like the SMT SDS route revolves around staying at a Douthat cabin and includes some shuttles. Not a bad deal for those that want to be guided.
    Original SDS 2day includes zero shuttles. Here could be a decent way to start off: Hankey, Dowells Draft, Braleys, Bridge Hollow, Rhode Hollow, ST... You can either shorten or start looking for a way back, but that is all single track and all a riot. Get out yer map and start planning. My guess is, fully loaded, you might spend your first night around Georgia Camp on SMT. On the way back in be sure and hit the trail on Lookout.