mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Two 'Best" Trails in WV (for my style of riding)?

Looking for recommendations.
    I am coming next week into WV for a couple days and will have the opportunity for a couple 2-3 hour rides. I will be centered near Snowshoe (convenience), but am willing to adjust my schedule and drive a couple hours away to find an awesome trail.
    Looking for something more on the technical side with max. of around 1000 feet of climbing and max 2-3 hours duration for each day. I am used to (and like) riding rocks, roots, tech up and tech down, etc. and always in for a few flowy sections. I would like to sample the 'best of' in this style of riding if possible. Done a bit of research, and have a couple of ideas, but would like to get local opinions as well.

On another note - where to rent a bike - preferably full suspension for the preferred tech trails.

Thanks All

mtbr member
    Contact Elk River Touring Center to see if they rent. Snowshoe rents bikes too, but not sure if you can take them off resort property.
    2015 Giant Anthem 29er
    2012 Trek Superfly Carbon HT

mtbr member
    Davis has all the tech you could ever want. Not sure about rentals though. I think Blackwater Bikes rents, not sure about FS though.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    If you are staying near Snowshoe I would hit the Gauley Mountain trail network that runs between Scenic Highway 150 and Elk River Touring at Slatyfork. ERT sells maps too I believe, not sure about rentals there. I believe they do offer some shuttle service, but you would just need to contact them.

At the end of SH 150 where it connects to highway 39/55 is a Forest Service ranger station. Kennison mountain trail is close to there and is my favorite WV trail.

These are all difficult wet, rocky, rooty trails. I do not believe there exists any flow in that part of West Virginia.

Davis is great too, but should be a seperate trip as it is quite a ways north.