mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Trip to Columbia/Elkridge MD- should I bring my bike?

The weekend of 11/15-17th my sons soccer team is playing in a tournament in Columbia MD. We'll be making the trip down from NY state. We'll be staying at a Holiday Inn in Elkridge on Marshalee Drive. Arriving late afternoon 11/15 and leaving late afternoon 11/17.

I am thinking that if there are trails nearby I could squeeze in a couple 60 -90 minute rides. On a map of the area I see a Rockburn Park. Any trails there?

I classify my riding skills as intermediate for fitness and expert for technical. Are there good trails nearby and if so how close are they to the Columbia/Elkridge area? Also what are normal daytime temps on these dates?

thanks!

mtbr member
    Yes, look up patapsco state park....

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    There are also trail connecting rockburn and potapsco, FYI.

Look up the MORE-MTB www, they have lots of info on the area.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

mtbr member
    Rockburn is adjacent to Patapsco only have to cross a road to get to either one. Temps are usually in the 50s during that time of Nov.

Here's a source for trails:
    Patapsco Valley State Park | Park Trail Maps | Mountain Biking | Hiking | GpsTrailSource

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    holy cow this looks like just a few miles from where our hotel is! I found some info that there is some sort of bike park in Rockburn Branch park. Is it any good?

would you recommend riding solo in this park having never been there?

mtbr member
    There's a skills area, jumps and a pump track at Rockburn. The trails at Patapsco are blazed but there's offshoot trails that can get you turned around without realizing it, take a map and just explore within your comfort zone. As others posted check the MORE website, they have organized rides at Patapsco throughout the week (although not sure about early Nov.) that you can probably join in on.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    If you do go to Patapsco Avalon park, here's the official GPS address: 5254 South St, Halethrope, MD 21227. Don't go to another park entrance since you'll probably have to drive anywhere from 10-20 minutes away. I learned the hard way...

mtbr member
    Dragbike, it's a month away but PM me if you'd like a trail tour guide for the Sat and Sun of that weekend. My schedule is flexible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    thnx everyone Tomcat- awesome offer- its probably going to come down to my son's team's game schedule for the weekend. I am guessing there will be early morning games and then afternoon games with 3- 4 hours in between to kill. I am hoping I can leave him with a team mate's family and hit the trails for a bit. If the weather forecast is calling for rainy weather I may not even bother bringing the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Definitely hit up Patapsco. Rockburn is a good starting place but there isn't much mileage back there. Patapsco has fantastic riding with plenty of flowy single track, logs, some rock gardens, stream crossings, and punchy climbs. There is enough traffic on weekends you don't have to worry about getting hopelessly lost. That said you should bring a map. Google "Patapsco valley state park" and find the PDF map for Avalon at the PVSP site.

Here's a link to a shorter ride starting from Rockburn, to give you an idea of how to get from Rockburn to Patapsco. We started from a spot close to the skills park. There are more trails on the other side of the river (we were limited on time). http://ridewithgps.com/trips/1674719

I'm confident that you'll really like Patapsco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Patapsco Peddler
    Aug 2011

Agree with everyone else

Patapsco / Rockburn are only 1/2 mile from my house. I usually go in on the Rockburn trails and then head over to Patapsco. I usually do between 13 to 18 miles on a weekend ride. I've attached a pic of some old map overlays I've created over the past year. Everyone is correct-Rockburn is small, about 3 miles of trails. On the Patapsco side you probably could link together over 30 miles if you wanted.

001-8-4-13 map.pdfTrip to Columbia/Elkridge MD- should I bring my bike?-patapsco-trails2.jpg

Also, if you want to see what the trails look like you can check out my you tube channel where I've posted videos of a lot of the trails (my wife got me a gopro last month for our anniversery): https://www.youtube.com/user/skibum616

Hope you can get down here and enjoy our singletrack!
    Pain heals. Chicks dig scares. Glory Lasts forever. - Shane Falco

My YouTube Video Page: https://www.youtube.com/user/skibum616/videos