Uit Nederland

New question here. Trails at Virginia Universities?

I am currently a High School senior applying to colleges. The most important factor in choosing my college is which one has the best mountain biking accomidations. That is; which school has the best nearby trails? And, which school has dorms in which I can store a bike?

The two major schools I was looking at were;

The University of Virginia,
    And Virginia Tech

If you know the area, or attended the school, or just have any pertinent information please feel free to drop a line... Thanks a lot...

large member
    The one plus to UVA is that you will have some trails right outside your dorm pretty much. For city trails, they are actually very nice with some pretty good challenging short steep climbs. Rocky enough to keep you on your toes as well. You also have Walnut Creek within a 10 minute drive. There is plenty of other riding in the area, but not likely much you could easily get to with a busy school schedule. Both Tech and UVA are excellent schools and you will benefit with a great education at either one.
    #1 NORBA elite singlespeed toolbag 30-34 age group

featherweight clydesdale
    Quote Originally Posted by fujirider1
    I am currently a High School senior applying to colleges. The most important factor in choosing my college is which one has the best mountain biking accomidations. That is; which school has the best nearby trails? And, which school has dorms in which I can store a bike?

And Virginia Tech

If you know the area, or attended the school, or just have any pertinent information please feel free to drop a line... Thanks a lot...
    If your back-up is JMU, you're golden. Forget Mary Washington. It wasn't great 15 years ago and sucks now.

it's....
    Riding is better around VT since it is surrounded by mountains, but that shouldn't be your main decision on college choice.
    JMU would be best if that was your main criteria.

large member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fattirewilly
    If your back-up is JMU, you're golden. Forget Mary Washington. It wasn't great 15 years ago and sucks now.
    Good call, JMU is smack dab in the middle of mecca

my girl rides also
    Feb 2005
    Being a JMU alum, I can definatley attest to what mud'n'sweat has said. I was lucky enough to "cut my teeth" riding there, so to speak. Great stuff...and once a year they string a bunch of the best area trails together and make a 100 mile race out of them.
    Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Tech is a good place for education and riding

Take this with a grain of salt - I live in Christiansburg...

The riding at/around Tech is pretty darn good. Not only do you have Pandapas/Brush Mountain and/or Mountain Lake a few minutes away, but you are also in close proximity to Roanoke (Carvin's Cove, etc.). Easy access to WV stuff such as Summersville, Little Beaver SP, too...

I have ridden in Charlottesville in many of the areas - not bad at all - no real complaints - but there is no way anybody can legally get from campus (Dorm) to Walnut Creek in 10 minutes - try 20 - 25 - again, not real long, but double the 10.

I agree with the other posts, look for the educational value, then judge the riding potential

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    i'm at uva and the riding is pretty good here too. ohill is on campus with around 10 miles of trail. walnut creek is great too but you'll need to drive (about 15 mins). as for dorms just hope you have a tight roommate and keep your bike in your room (there are covered racks too depending on what you'd bring). oh and there are like 5 shops in a 10 mile radius
    Last edited by sonofagun; 12-13-2007 at 09:29 PM.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

And Virginia Tech

I'm at VT. While there is riding here, I think you could do better. Pandapas is very close, but it gets old kinda quick. I think the riding options around roanoke are better. I went to Roanoke College, and while I was not into riding at the time, it is very close to Carvin's Cove as well as some other killer rides. I can't speak for the other colleges mentioned, but it sounds like there are some pretty good options out there.

large member
    Quote Originally Posted by VARiderSR
    but there is no way anybody can legally get from campus (Dorm) to Walnut Creek in 10 minutes - try 20 - 25 - again, not real long, but double the 10.
    Well, Walnut Creek is less than 7 miles from O-Hill. Speed limit the majority of the way is 55. If it takes you longer than around 10 minutes, you may need to lay off the bong.

Many days I'll ride at both locales just to get in enough miles and it is nice to get to one from the other so quickly without cooling down too much.

mtbr member
    Virginia Tech alumni here. I still live in this town and ride Pandapas/Brush Mountain every chance I get. To some people it may get old, but there are some very challenging trails that will definitely give your legs/lungs a heck of a workout... or maybe I'm just getting old. Virginia Tech does have a very good mountain/road bike team if you're interested in intercollegiate races.

Here's the link to the team's site:
    http://www.cycling.org.vt.edu

With that being said, Personally I wouldn't make my college decision based just on local trails, but most importantly what the college has to offer for your academia needs.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    OF COURSE - DRUG REFERENCES! Why didn't I think of that?

We are "talking" to a high school student; and while he is probably not in possession of completely innocent ears (maybe deeds), to go there with such a comment, well...

I don't know about the 7 miles - It looks like at least ten or so from campus, roughly ten from Buckingham Circle (across rt. 29 from O-hill), and a little more from downtown Charlottesville proper (depending upon route of travel). If you go 29 south, you still have to get on the back road - not 55mph friendly if memory serves. Rt. 631 - never taken it, can't say, but if it is a curvy as it looks on a map, and not 4-lane, even at seven miles it will take you more than 10 minutes. Considering lights, traffic, etc. ten minutes is rather low...

Look, I'm not tryng to compare schools - didn't attend any of those mentioned.

Again, splitting hairs here - 10 minutes? 20 minutes? What really is the difference? Not much. Just thought I would add some initial insight...

large member
    Quote Originally Posted by VARiderSR

Again, splitting hairs here - 10 minutes? 20 minutes? What really is the difference? Not much. Just thought I would add some initial insight...
    Your insight seemed to miss the lightheartedness of my response. It also seemed to miss the ( ) after my stoner comment. Since your comment about splitting hairs is definitely correct, why bother doing it to begin with?

PS- I would love to be young enough to be in high school so thank you for that.

Relax buddy, it's not worth getting too uptight about.

jmw
    mtbr member
    go to Tech....you'll get a better education and the girls are hotter
    also, the buses have bike racks on the front....yeah!

actually, JMU probably has the best central location to all the best mtb in VA, but I went to VT so I can't recommend UVa

on the other hand, if you don't mind a more metro feel, the trails central to downtown Richmond are very easy to access from VCU and quite challenging as well.
    future nature

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Go to UVA... if you can get in... no offense intended, but it is a pretty hard school to get into. It is consitently ranked as one of the top 3 public schools in the country (with Michigan and Cal-Berkeley)

Also, C'ville is a great place while school is in session (a little quiet when it is not)

You'll find places to ride nearby, but a good education should be your #1 priority.

mtbr member
    go to Tech....you'll get a better education and the girls are hotter
    BWAHAAAHAAAA...oh MAN....hahaaaa...BWAAAAAhahahaaaa...hoo boy. thanks for the laugh, that's a good one!
    will there be beer?

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hogwash
    BWAHAAAHAAAA...oh MAN....hahaaaa...BWAAAAAhahahaaaa...hoo boy. thanks for the laugh, that's a good one!

No, really, the girls ARE hotter

mtbr member
    +1 on that

It seems like ever since VT football team got better with M.Vick as qb, all the hot girls started flocking into campus like vultures on fresh carcass.

large member
    Tom, I have to admit I have been less than impressed with the girls I've seen around as of late. As of late as in the last two years. You definitely can't say that UVA does not provide an equally good education as Tech though.

mtbr member
    yeah, i just like to give Tek people a hard time. you can get a great education at either school. i have no idea what the talent is like at Tech since I've only been to Blacksburg once.

and yes ,Rich, i agree that the talent level 'round here seems to have dropped in recent years.
    Last edited by hogwash; 12-20-2007 at 08:01 AM.
    will there be beer?

jmw
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mud'n'sweat
    You definitely can't say that UVA does not provide an equally good education as Tech though.
    actually, I already did

hehehheee
    future nature

Uit Nederland
    I guess the sarcasm didn't come through, obviously I'm looking for the best education which according to the research I have done is found at UVa, my second choice is Tech, and then I have a back up...

it's....
    I guess the sarcasm didn't come through, obviously I'm looking for the best education which according to the research I have done is found at UVa, my second choice is Tech, and then I have a back up...
    That would really depend on what you plan on majoring in.
    I could've gone to either, but went to Tech for the Engineering.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    yeah, i just like to give Tech people a hard time. you can get a great education at either school. i have no idea what the talent is like at Tech since I've only been to Blacksburg once.

and yes ,Rich, i agree that the talent level 'round here seems to have dropped in recent years.
    I think that sometimes "talent" goes down when talent goes up.

Uit Nederland
    Engineering, either Aerospace or Mechanical

it's....
    Engineering, either Aerospace or Mechanical
    Then VT is your obvious choice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    I think that sometimes "talent" goes down when talent goes up.
    agreed.
    will there be beer?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I went to UVa for undergrad in mechanical engineering, and my wife went to vet school in Blacksburg for 4 years. Both are great schools, and both have plenty of hot girls. Any college does. I've ridden quite a bit in Charlottesville...OHill is literally RIGHT BEHIND the dorms. That's the one bonus that UVa has over Tech. I've ridden some of the Brush Mountain trails in Blacksburg, and they are awesome. Walnut Creek in Cville is also great, and there are a couple private "farms" around town that allow riding with permission. And don't forget all of the trails about 30 mins west of Charlottesville (Whetstone, Sherando, etc).

Either school is good for education, and good for riding. We chose to live in Charlottesville once we were done with school because it's a bigger town with more job opportunities, restaurants, etc.

Check out www.cambc.org

Bikes & Beer
    May 2005
    Well if this choice is just up to mtb'ing and having hot girls on the side, Consider WVU. Obviosuly Tech is going to have a better engineering program, wvu's is not lacking. When it comes to the trails, no state can beat what morgantown has to offer. xc,downhill,freeride, and dirt jump parks all within 10 minutes of a drive. The good thing about WV is that their park organization (BOPARK) actually advertises the fact that their comunity park has dirt jumps built throughout.

large member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strafer
    Then VT is your obvious choice.
    2ndedered

Education first.... at least for the next 4+ years.

We want... a shrubbery!
    As far as I know (I've been running around Tech's campus, not biking) and from my friends who biked while I was there, I can say from personal experience (UVA grad) that I don't know how much more convenient you can get than riding there. If you have an hour between classes and you feel like going for a ride, O-Hill is perfect for a short but fun ride. If you're up to anything else, there are places right outside of town (Walnut, Carter Mtn) that you can easily ride city/county streets to (you do have to be a little brave for some of the roads at time). And then 1/2 hour-1 hour away from some pretty sweet rides in the Blue Ridge.

But make the decision about schools -- Looking back, I should have gone to Tech, but instead went to UVA.
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

Uit Nederland
    But make the decision about schools -- Looking back, I should have gone to Tech, but instead went to UVA.
    What did you study? And what makes you say that? I think they're good schools. Tech has the solid engineering program whereas UVa is just a very accredited university in general.

Members who have read this thread: 0