mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Trails on the Eastern Shore

In September Ill be moving to Salisbury to go to graduate school at UMES. Just wondering is there any trails worth checking out? In general is there any trails to go biking at in the salisbury area?
    "Want to ride some more miles...?"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You know the expression "when life hands you lemons, make lemonade"?

Get a road bike.

Quote Originally Posted by tcapri87
    In September Ill be moving to Salisbury to go to graduate school at UMES. Just wondering is there any trails worth checking out? In general is there any trails to go biking at in the salisbury area?

mtbr member
    Yes, there are 2 places to ride in Salisbury. One is by the zoo in town, but isn't maintained. The second is at the Naylor Mill sports park on Naylor Mill road. There is a hidden trail in the left corner that leads to the trails. This is where I ride since I work 5 days a week in Salisbury. I work on Naylor Mill road, so it's less then a 2-3 minute drive after work. I think it is some pretty decent singletracks for the area with some nice technical sections and bridges. Let me know when the time comes if you need more info.

mtbr member
    There are trails in the making at the Pocomoke City YMCA too, about a half hour southish from Salisbury. Roughly eight miles so far, mostly singletrack style, pretty roughly hobbled together for now, varies from smooth to pretty damn rooty. Biggest problem down there has been the crazy amounts of rain this year, but when the weather is a bit drier its better. Its been half underwater all fall and winter.

Right now the Y is not requiring anyone to be a member to ride, but they do ask trail users to go sign in so they can gauge usage, and I suppose for some insurance reasons too. Trails only somewhat marked so far, but there are blazes for the most part. Its much flatter than Naylor Mill, but the shore is just flat as hell in general. If you use facebook, search for: eastern shore bicycle association. That page should at least show updates when we are trying to get trail work in, family oriented riding days, and just general riding if you want to meet up with some folks and see where the trailheads are from the main paths.

Trying to get some good things going down there for at least another place to ride here in the boring old flatlands, but there are only so many off road bikers in the area. Lots of road biking on the shore though, if you do that as well. And you are lucky to have a good little section of track at Naylor Mill to keep you in shape while you go to school here.

EDIT: Notice you said you will be at UMES and I assumed SU. UMES is about halfway closer to Pocomoke if that helps at all. I guess living in Salisbury will still make Naylor Mill more convenient, but its nice to have a second option once in a while. Its not a bad road trip up to White Clay/Middle Run in DE either, and the trails there are mucho fun.
    Last edited by picassomoon; 01-17-2010 at 04:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Pocomoke City YMCA singletrack sounds good. Is that linked with Pocomoke State Park trails or not really? Thanks for the info though.

mtbr member
    No, eventually....like pretty long term at this point, it might be able to be linked in with the park. Right now its just the Y's land that they had donated from the county and didn't know what to do with. Might be able to incorporate the inactive landfill hills behind it, they have transfer station but the landfills are finished. The project started about a year ago, was one man work for like 6 months or more. About five of us total who have cut, raked, blown, sawed etc. to get to where we are now. Its a decent workout for what it is, just this pesky standing water has sucked lately.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    anyone know if salisbury city park trails still exist or maintained?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Sign up for the Seagull Century, 5000+ riders, great support. You can do century or metric (63 miles). 3 well supported stops, last stop before the end has a band, cherry and apple pie with ice cream. The finish has a beer garden and bands food provided by the university. Considered one of the best group rides in the country.
    2012 Specialized Camber Comp 29er
    Trek 9800 OLCV, XT upgrade 26er
    KHS Fleetwood
    Schwinn 20" Fastback 5 speed stick shift

Members who have read this thread: 0