magaw country
    Nov 2007

Trail system above Nitro WV, Civil War cemetery

Has anybody riden the trails behind ridenour lake in Nitro? The trail system starts at the lake and goes all the way to Institute and cross lanes. Some trails are marked "Posted" which should be avoided ,but for the most part they arent marked as private property. There is also an old Civil War grave yard on the top of the mountain. The Kanawha trail club (hikers) hikes this same trail system. Just curious if anyone knows more about this area. Later

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm more familiar with the other side of the interstate since I grew up on Lake Chaweva. There are some trails running from that lake into Institute/Dunbar that follow gas lines, power lines, and I think some cell towers. You can get to those trails off Old Golf Mountain Rd either at the church/camp or out the subdivision out there. We didn't fool around a lot on the side you're talking about but there are trails over there and an old grave yard but I thought the Walmart and subdivision building wiped out a lot of them.

DearMrToilet
    Feb 2008
    its actually an old family graveyard. cross lanes has been inhabited for hundreds of years! anyway, yeah i ride from old goff mt. road under the interstate via ducking in a storm drain, then up behind golden corral and push my fat ass up the big hill there. i assume the graveyard that you refer to is the one above golden corral there. ive been on a few of the posted trails, i mean most people dont care about a mt. biker, they just dont want hunters (or at least thats why i post my property.) trials go all over the place back there. i like going behind the movie theater and on that ridge that runs along the road there between institue and ridenour. if you get off the main trail there on the cross lanes side, you can hit some pretty fast slopes and ive found a few 2-3 foot drops. tear it up man! also if you know anyone in the area that would be interrested in some big air dirt ramps, im building some off of waycross drive here in cross lanes this summer! hit me back for contact information. signing simple waiver will allow you to come ride the ramps whenever!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I was out at Ridenour this past saturday walking the dog. I started on the side of the lake with the dock and headed into the woods across a bridge. All i could find was a gravel path for about a half mile. I was hoping to find Single track, but i could not find it. Any more info on the location would be awesome, I could ride to it from my house.

Members who have read this thread: 0