mtbr member

Third Battle trails in Winchester closing.

Got word today that the mountain bike trails at Third Battle in Winchester are being closed. Some ******** about the trails being invasive to the historical landmarks but at the same time, they are keeping all the big gravel groomed paths. The mountain bike trails aren't even noticeable except for a few of the trail heads that can be found at the edge of the woods. If you weren't paying attention while on the gravel paths, you wouldn't even know there was 6+ miles of single track hidden away in the woods. Hopefully some folks get together to try and fight this. I'd certainly join the fight.

bikeboatbrewski
    Thats too bad. How long have these trails been there, 5-6 years?

Its pretty amazing that the hysterical society people even allowed trails to be built there in the first place. Guess the douche bag runners will have it to them selves now. Earlier this year had a runner try to knock me off my bike.

mtbr member
    At least...maybe longer. Yeah, that's the thing. I doubt they'll close the trails all together, just to us. Sucks big time. They definitely aren't crazy awesome trails, but they are pretty decent and a lot of fun to ride and very convenient. It pretty much limits me to one place to ride that I don't have to drive more than an hour to get to. My mountain biking days may be coming to an end. Or at least to a very small percentage of total time I'll spend on a bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I spoke with the people who have are running the battlefield now and they told me the trails will still be open to hikers which sucks for us.They are closing the trails jan 1 2014 according to their pr rep, so unless we can all get something going before then we better use them until they're gone

bikeboatbrewski
    What will happen is the trail will degrad as its been the bikers who built and maintained them. Maybe another storm will drop a **** load of trees in there again like last year. Good luck getting runners/hikers to do anything.

Nub, I think you are near Romney? Might have to spend moar saddle time in Davis, bummer.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm not sure of the logic they were giving me I.E. I was told they didn't like mtn bikers because it was disrespectful on a battlefield but it was ok on the gravel trails so i told them i was kind of confused and tried to explain to them how that didnt make any sense but they wouldnt have any parts of it so i told them it sounded like they just had it out against bikers

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Complete and total hypocrisy! My son is 5 and learned to bike on these very trails. I now have to tell him we aren't allowed to ride there any more. Trails in the woods are invasive to the natural landscape, yet a 6' wide gravel path that is paved in some sections is natural? Utter BS
    This has completely turned me off to anything related to the historical society...they won't be getting a nickel from me.
    As Scotty said, the trails will overgrow and get lots of blow-overs with no one taking care of them. I wonder if the HS will still be able to run on the trails?

Need Sleep
    Bummer, those trails are fun and fast, how do you think they will enforce the new rule? I think my new years day ride is a no brainer now :-)
    Go buy a Pizza

mtbr member
    Being in Winchester, this is also my go-to spot. From what I understood, the singletrack is going to be closed all together. Not only did I love riding back there, but that was also my go-to running spot. I'd run on dirt rather than pavement almost any day. Everyone I've talked to (and not just mountain bikers) is opposed to the closing, but the SVBA is hard-headed as heck. And these trails have been here for 20 years... Long before anybody was putting in 6' wide gravel paths.

Need Sleep
    Was short on time and wanted to get out for a spin with a friend who rarely rides offroad, we opted for 3rd Battlfield, such a fun set of Singletrack that is close to home.

Is there any groups protesting the closure?
    Go buy a Pizza

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Is that National Park land (in which case I am not the least bit suprised) or a local owned park?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider View Post
    Is that National Park land (in which case I am not the least bit suprised) or a local owned park?
    The land was owned by the CWPT, but it changed hands. Shenandoah Valley Battlefields owns it now. CWPT was fine with the trails, but SVBA is much more strict/hard-headed. The local bike club apparently fought it for like 6 months, but to no avail.... Quite the poor decision in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottybinwv View Post
    What will happen is the trail will degrad as its been the bikers who built and maintained them. Maybe another storm will drop a **** load of trees in there again like last year. Good luck getting runners/hikers to do anything.

Nub, I think you are near Romney? Might have to spend moar saddle time in Davis, bummer.
    Yup. Guess that's not a bad thing but it's pretty shitty that Winchester is closed. There's a big sign at the trial head. It wouldn't be too hard to say you didn't see the sign unless the trails are marked too. I'll likely stop out there at some point with the bike and see what's up. Only thing will be that the trails come summer time will be nearly unrideable from lack of maintenance. Really does piss me off. Great trails gone to waste and for no good reason.

mtbr member
    Just ride anyways. We have a trail system here that was closed 3 years ago and it still gets the same use today. We just never announce that we are doing any maintenence. And do not tell anyone we ride it.

In no way am I advocating breaking any laws, but I doubt this can be enforced in the court of law.

mtbr member
    Well...I guess you could possibly be charged with trespassing...just depends on how/if the land is posted and of course you'd have to get caught and it's not like they can really detain you until cops got on scene. I do plan to head out there this spring and check it out and see how it's posted. If it's not very well posted, I'll ride it and play ignorant to knowing it was closed if caught.