CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Tea Creek Loop October 2015

I rode quite a bit earlier this fall. Ride reports fell to the wayside. Oh, well maybe these will seem like new for the folks that saw them on Facebook.

A small group of us made the pilgrimage over from Roanoke to the Slatyfork area. We did a pretty large loop essentially around the perimeter of the Tea Creek trails.

First, a visit to the Cranberry Glades visitor center was in order.

Rattlesnakes and copperheads, all living in harmony

Remind me not to mess with a grizzly bear

We parked at the Tea Creek Campground by the Williams River. Fall colors were in full there in early October.

A small but good crew

To start we climbed Bannock Shoals, not hard but quite long. It is an old railroad grade like most of the trails in the area.

Working up a little sweat

Bannock Shoals was in excellent shape and appeared to have been recently bush-hogged.

Onto Boundary Trail, for some more climbing. This end of Boundary was just rebuilt.

Classic West Virginia riding

A piece of history

The view off the top of Boundary is outstanding.

Moss, rocks and roots, WV staples.

About half way down Boundary we crossed an old strip mine over to the Forest Service road 135

This extended our trip some, but I like the old mines.

A cabin built on a mine site

After 4 or 5 miles of road, it was time to resume singletrack riding

Tea Creek trail starts out easy, but then gets steep and loose.

A left onto Tea Creek Connector. That piece of trail beat on me on the hardtail with all the old railroad ties.

Then it was onto Gauley Mountain trail

Considered about the easiest of the Tea Creek trails, by this point in the day it all hurt.

Trail work done a couple years ago is still holding up well

Views from Scenic Highway 150 are always great

More new trail work on Tea Creek Mountain trail, the last leg of our ride.

I could ride bits and pieces, but one of our guys rode most of it. There are lines but you really have to react quickly

This is a good trail, but a hard one to finish the ride up on. Most of the day was done and
    I was done.

Less talk, more ride...
    Mar 2010
    Wow. What a great looking ride. Someday I will be able to join you guys on some of these.
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29er
    2012 Specialized Roubaix Apex Compact

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Sure thing Doedrums. It is like going to Canada, but just a little over 2 hours from my house.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Does the Boundary rework cut out the sheer face rock drop? Is the Tea Creek Mountain work in progress or just signed?
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Does the Boundary rework cut out the sheer face rock drop? Is the Tea Creek Mountain work in progress or just signed?
    It was my first time on that end of Boundary. I don't recall a sheer face rock drop so I am going to say it does cut that out. Tea Creek Mountain trail has been rebuilt from Highway 150 to the rock garden at the top. Beyond that it seems pretty much OK as it is (cept for all those dam rocks).

The rebuild on Tea Creek Mountain looked to be machine built with rolling dips for drainage - it is still pretty steep.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Looks like a great ride. Glad to see the only rattlers and Grizzlies you ran into were in the visitors center.

mtbr member
    need to add this to my rides to do list!!
    '15 Transition Smuggler

the unvarnished nonsense
    Thanks for the info, Steve. Need to get back down there and see whats what. A new way up to the boulder field makes a lot of sense, as the old trail wasn't very sustainable after the bikes entered the picture.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Oh...guessing the big wash out is still part of the strip mine crossing?

trailmaster
    Dec 2005
    The Tea Creek Loop was my first ever Mt Bike ride back in the Fall of 1988. Coming from road riding it was a major eye opener. Rode a borrowed Jamis Dakota.

Drove up from TN on a Friday with three friends . Stayed at the campground two nights. Did the Tea Creek Loop on Saturday. The connector was my first ever introduction that killer chop from an old rail road bed. By the time we got thru it I could stand up and stroke in time with the chop. A skill I have been using ever since.

I remember those rocks on Tea Creek Mountain Trail to be much bigger than they look in your pics. We all tried to ride over them as much as possible. Still some hike a bike. The downhill off the mountain to the hwy way amazing and the most scary riding ever due to the old cantilever brakes. At times I was white knuckled on the brakes and still accelerating.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    Oh...guessing the big wash out is still part of the strip mine crossing?
    I think it is, but 4 wheelers had cut a new line out to the left and around. We took that.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Sofakinold View Post
    The Tea Creek Loop was my first ever Mt Bike ride back in the Fall of 1988. Coming from road riding it was a major eye opener. Rode a borrowed Jamis Dakota.

Drove up from TN on a Friday with three friends . Stayed at the campground two nights. Did the Tea Creek Loop on Saturday. The connector was my first ever introduction that killer chop from an old rail road bed. By the time we got thru it I could stand up and stroke in time with the chop. A skill I have been using ever since.

I remember those rocks on Tea Creek Mountain Trail to be much bigger than they look in your pics. We all tried to ride over them as much as possible. Still some hike a bike. The downhill off the mountain to the hwy way amazing and the most scary riding ever due to the old cantilever brakes. At times I was white knuckled on the brakes and still accelerating.
    Heck of a place to learn to mountain bike. After that, as they say - "its all downhill from here."

That is a really cool downhill off of Tea Creek Mountain. Not very forgiving and my brake calipers were hissing hot at the bottom.