mtbr member

Tails near Harrisonburg Va

Are there any distinguishable trails in or near Harrisonburg Va? I booked a room for the DH Massanuttin race at the end of this month and the race was just canceled. I went to cancel my room and found out its non refundable....

It will be a 4 hour drive to get there from where I am. So if the trails aren't worth it please let me know and I'll just suffer the money loss on the room instead of time and gas as well.

I like fast trails with jumps, drops, tech ect. Not a big climber but I will if I have too. I like going down. Anything like that around there??

another bozo on the bus
    No shortage of trails near Harrisonburg. There are several threads not far down the list that describes them. Do some digging on here. A lot of the stuff is long climbs with extended descending. Big Schloss and Fort valley are very technical, while the stuff to the SW of town tends to be longer climbs and long fast descents. People have been throwing around the word "Enduro" a lot lately.

mtbr member
    When you get there, go visit these guys (Shenandoah Bicycle Company). They will direct you to all the cool trails and give you some great advice.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ride the trails right at Massanutten. The downhill trail is cut through the ski slopes and is only open during race events, so if the event is canceled that trail would be inaccessible. The 'Western Slope' is a network of trails on their property. Trails are XC, but lean towards AM in some sections.

In the immediate area is the George Washington National Forest that has endless opportunities. Again, XC stuff - climbing with long fun downhills.

Search these forums for more info. Trails in this area have been discussed at length so their are numerous threads with a lot of good info in them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    When you get there, go visit these guys (Shenandoah Bicycle Company). They will direct you to all the cool trails and give you some great advice.
    Definitely do this and ask them about Reddish Knob/Wolf Ridge. If you have 2 cars, I reccommend shuttling to the top of Reddish Knob and then riding the trail down the mountain. Otherwise you can pedal a few miles up the knob but I think it's pretty gruelling. The dudes at the shop can give more details. That ride is on my top 10 and the view from the top is awesome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtorlando25 View Post
    Definitely do this and ask them about Reddish Knob/Wolf Ridge. If you have 2 cars, I reccommend shuttling to the top of Reddish Knob and then riding the trail down the mountain. Otherwise you can pedal a few miles up the knob but I think it's pretty gruelling. The dudes at the shop can give more details. That ride is on my top 10 and the view from the top is awesome.
    Heading down to do this ride in a few weeks, looking forward to it!