mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Susquehanna State Park?

So this is where I have ridden for the past decade (on and off). Next closest trails for me would be Fair Hill and Gunpowder. Fair Hill seemed huge (only been twice), and the small section of Gunpowder I rode off Rt 1 seemed pretty mild. Am I really missing anything limiting myself to Susquehanna? Several trails at Susquehanna definitely offer more than enough difficulty for my skill level (ex. some of the climbs on Land of Promise...) and I usually ride alone. My goal is to get in 15-20 miles one day every weekend for fitness and to escape life for a while. Appreciate thoughts on how more "worldly" MTBrs view Susquehanna in the grand scheme of things, and other recommendations for places to ride.

Thanks
    Shawn

mtbr member
    I guess it all depends on how far you want to drive. My guess is you're in northern Harford or southern Cecil. I am in Bel Air, SSP is not that far for me but i don't bother riding there. It doesn't seem to flow well,has hike-a-bike sections, and is overgrown in the summer. I don't care for Fair Hill, not very difficult and you have the horses to deal with. Drive another 15min and go to WhiteClay, that is well worth it. I also ride LGP alot (5min away for me) from Jerusalem Rd to Pleasantville. That will get you 15-20m with some challenging sections. I dont ride BGP, too many hikers. PTAP is 40min ride for me, i go there often also. I don't mind a 1-1.5 hr drive for good trails, within that window i can hit up most all the DC trails like Schaeffer, Rosaryville, even FH.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    LGP = Little Gunpowder? That trail sounds interesting. I am coming from Churchville. Is parking for this trail off Jerusalem Mill Road, or is there another spot to park near Pleasantville?
    Thanks
    Shawn

mtbr member
    Yes Little Gunpowder.It is basically an out & back trail. There is plenty of parking at the mill on Jerusalem Rd. The section from Harford Rd to Bottom Rd is sorta flat,but the rest has some nice challenging hills. Take Jesse's trail,that has a nice climb. When you get to the green bridge on Bottom Rd you can cross over and take the north side(yellow) of the river(easier) or go up the road around the bend to follow the south side trail (white) with more hills. Both lead to Pleasantville. By the time you come back it is a good 3hr exhausting ride. There are hand-drawn maps on DNR website which give you a general idea of the trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks! Found the maps, I remember riding the white trail once before from bel air to the bridge on Bottom Rd, then turned back because I wasn't sure at the time where I was going. Looks like I missed the best parts. Will definitely have to try this again starting from Jerusalem and not stopping until the Pleasantville loop.

thanks
    shawn