mtbr member

Stop, swap and save!

Well, since there's probably no chance in hell of rideable trails by the weekend, I think I might hit the swap meet on Sunday in Westminster. Heard its a killer event, and I could use a couple upgrades.

Just wondering what to expect. Are there any complete bikes there or is it mostly all parts and components? Are the bulk of the vendors shops and manufacturers or just riders selling their spare parts? If a lot of them are shops and manufacturers, does that mean you can use credit cards at some tables? Or will I need cash for every single transaction? Is everything used or will I be seeing some new/overstock types of things too?

Thanks for any advice from people who have been there before.

The need for singlespeed
    I went a few years ago. From what I remember, there weren't any manufacturers set up. Mostly shops and individuals. Plenty of complete bikes and parts. My buddy picked up a complete bike there for a decent price. Not sure about payment methods.

Be sure to hit up O'Lordans Pub downtown after the meet.

mtbr member
    Thanks.

I emailed the contact person from their website. She says the shops generally take CC's and even checks, but obviously individuals expect cash and that's overall the preferred method in general. She said there are onsite ATM's and they usually run out of cash.

mtbr member
    What type of payment do vendors accept?” Almost all vendors accept cash while many commercial vendors will also accept credit cards or checks. Overall though, cash is still the preferred method of payment. Our events have grown so much over the past several years however that the onsite ATMs typically run out of cash by the end of the day. Please keep this in mind while planning your payment strategy!

mtbr member
    Blah, sorry. I guess its right in the FAQ. She just copied and pasted that into the email.

mtbr member
    Lol, it's all good. I never even knew about this swap meet until your post. I quick search and found the website and some info. I might try and get out there this weekend...that is depending on how much more snow we get Tuesday and Wednesday here in lower Delaware. We got blasted this past weekend. It's about a 3 hour drive for me...would it be worth the drive and are there any some decent deals?

mtbr member
    One of the mechanics at my LBS said its awesome and tons of great deals. Its not just MTB though, road and BMX as well. I guess it depends what you are looking for, and how contested the deals on what you want are, people will be lined up waiting to get in they say. I'm sure there will be some of everything. I'm in need of a new 29'r fork, maybe a front 29'r wheelset upgrade, helmet, computer, lights.

Hardcore Bike-Path Rider
    Could you post the link to this?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Link.

Sounds like they get 3K plus attendees!

Hardcore Bike-Path Rider
    Thanks! Guess that will be my Valentine's present to myself <3

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zaskaranddriver

Be sure to hit up O'Lordans Pub downtown after the meet.
    Hells yes. Best Black Velvet out side of Ireland. Johannsons across the street (from O'Lordons) is pretty nice. What I consider my "local" pub. even though I'm 20 minutes north. But I work and grew up in westminster, so I guess that could be considered local

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hi...Were comeing down from n.j.,hows the roads look around the wesminster area...the recent weather update on the website states its still on and there ready to roll

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    at the moment crap. but sunday they will be fine

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It gets packed. There is not a lot of room in the isle for traffic between vendors. Leave the kids at home.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    If your local,please post a road condition update as maryland got nailed...were all clear in the north east,sun was shining today...

mtbr member
    2/12/10- Parking Update Westminster, MD

The biggest challenge we are facing this year due to the weather is on site parking. As a result the decision has been made to limit on site parking to vendors, event staff and handicapped parking only. All other consumer attendees will be directed to our off site parking area located approximately 3 minutes from the event venue at Carroll Community College (1601 Washington Rd, Westminster, MD 21157) where they will be able to take advantage of free shuttle service to and from the event venue. Our consumer shuttle will run between the off site parking area and the event venue every 15–20 minutes from approximately 7:00 am until 3:00 pm. We are excited to provide this alternative and feel that it is the most effective scenario for allowing everyone adequate access to the event while ensuring safety and convenience. Please note that parking along the Ag Center access road, Smith Avenue and any of the surrounding residential streets will not be allowed under any circumstances and towing will be strictly enforced. We sincerely appreciate your understanding and cooperation with this year's parking policy.

Click below for directions to off site parking:

Mapquest

mtbr member
    Great event. Wish I had gotten there first thing since I missed out on some good deals. But I got a new helmet on the cheap and a set of clipless pedals for my slightly older hybrid bike I'm going to revamp as a sort of cyclocross. I would have come home with a new bike if the one 08 Fisher HiFi in my size had been a 29r. Definitely going next year!

Very impressed that the shuttle was a literal school bus. I was worried that waiting in the cold would suck, but the driver did a great job moving people from what I could tell. Thanks and kudos to the organizers and all the vendors.

Members who have read this thread: 0