Staunton, Va.

TG with the wifey's fam in Staunton.
    Looking for some nearby ST to ride.
    Any suggestions??

Muchos gracias amigos.
    (Happy TG too).

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rocktown in Harrisonburg would most likely be too wet still. Massnutten requires a trail pass, and only allows riding on Sundays at this time of year. Thinking of two areas: Sherando Lake State Park east of Staunton south of I64, or lots of options exist just west of Staunton in the George Washington National Forest. Unfortunately neither are simple trail networks to navigate without a good map and a desire for exploration the first few rides.

Sherando would be the easier of the two to navigate for a first timer.

How long you around? I'll be doing a ride at one of those spots Saturday, or may drive down to Carvin's Cove.

I am the owl
    George Wash. Nat Forest is generally well marked. The Southern Traverse is close by if you are looking for an epic. I'd suggest grabbing a Nat. Geo. map of the area and also calling the local bike shops.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    There are so many great options that are really close by in the GW National Forest. Most of them require carrying a map and planning.

If you want a great ride with minimal navigation, try the Trimble Mountain Trail (aka Boy Scout Trail). It is only 4 miles long, but It is a great 4 miles. The first half is all up and the second half is all down. Stay to the left at the first clearing to go clockwise around the loop.

http://www.hikingupward.com/GWNF/TrimbleMountain/

Go see the guys at Shenandoah Bicycle Company. They can also point you in the right direction towards exactly what you are looking for. http://www.shenandoahbicycle.com/

Another great option are the trails of Douthat State Park. I have only ridden there once, but from what I understand it is pretty easy to navigate with a Map. If you post up what type of terrain and how far/long you want to ride, I am pretty sure that someone could point you in the right direction there. http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/dou.shtml

Both of these riding locations are about 30 minutes from Staunton.

Bikecurious
    Aug 2007
    There are also some trails in the town of Staunton at Montgomery Hall park if you want something close. But anything in the GWNF is worth a drive, and plenty of stuff that you could don't really need a map for. Hit up Black Dog bikes downtown.
    Howdy Doody's past the House of Aquarius

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for all the replies.
    I'm very familar with Douthat, The Cove and Harrisonburg.
    I was hoping for more options in or very, very close to Staunton.
    James at BDB sent me over to Braley Pond last time......he wasn't open while I was there this time.
    Ended up back at Braley. Good ride

Members who have read this thread: 0