mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Southside Hampton Roads Trails??

besides Ipswitch.

I live in Virginia Beach, and I'm sick of driving 100+ miles to Williamsburg every weekend to ride real trails. I mean it's worth it, but it's getting expensive.

There is still a fair amount of terrain in town that has potential. Anyone know of any plans to build trails down here? Maybe hidden spots around here?

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
    besides Ipswitch.

I live in Virginia Beach, and I'm sick of driving 100+ miles to Williamsburg every weekend to ride real trails. I mean it's worth it, but it's getting expensive.

There is still a fair amount of terrain in town that has potential. Anyone know of any plans to build trails down here? Maybe hidden spots around here?
    Ipswitch is the only official place to ride singletrack on the Southside as of now. If you aren't already, become a member of the EVMA and get involved with the Southside Crew. Search EVMA southside on Facebook if you're on there.

EVMA is currently working with the city of Chesapeake to try and build trails at another park that the city owns, but no work has begun yet. An IMBA representative was in Chesapeake last spring to discuss the possibility of cutting new trails somewhere in the city.

Basically - Things are being done to build more trails, but dealing with the bureaucratic process and what not is taking time. I've only been here a year and I'm getting tired of waiting as well!

PM me if you want any more details.

-Max

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Try Gatewood

You might try Gatewood in midtown Newport News. There are at least 8 miles of singletrack there with some interesting terrain. IMO it is much better than Ipswitch. Not as nice as the trails at Freedom Park, but it would save you about 25 miles of driving.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleAddict View Post
    Ipswitch is the only official place to ride singletrack on the Southside as of now. If you aren't already, become a member of the EVMA and get involved with the Southside Crew. Search EVMA southside on Facebook if you're on there.

EVMA is currently working with the city of Chesapeake to try and build trails at another park that the city owns, but no work has begun yet. An IMBA representative was in Chesapeake last spring to discuss the possibility of cutting new trails somewhere in the city.

Basically - Things are being done to build more trails, but dealing with the bureaucratic process and what not is taking time. I've only been here a year and I'm getting tired of waiting as well!

PM me if you want any more details.

-Max
    Thanks man.
    I posted this same question on EVMA's facebook page and the mentioned the Chesapeake thing. Hopefully that comes together soon.

I would love to see First Landing open up more of the park to bikes, but I doubt that will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by kahun4
    You might try Gatewood in midtown Newport News. There are at least 8 miles of singletrack there with some interesting terrain. IMO it is much better than Ipswitch. Not as nice as the trails at Freedom Park, but it would save you about 25 miles of driving
    Cool thanks. I'll check it out next weekend.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 1000hp View Post
    Thanks man.
    I posted this same question on EVMA's facebook page and the mentioned the Chesapeake thing. Hopefully that comes together soon.

I would love to see First Landing open up more of the park to bikes, but I doubt that will happen.

Cool thanks. I'll check it out next weekend.

Yeah, I too have been frustrated by First Landing SP's lack of bike friendly trails, even with it being as sandy as it is. I trail run there fairly often and always wish I could ride the trails.

Gatewood was a good suggestion. Definitely a lot closer than Freedom and very fun. Kind of similar to Ipswitch but more mileage and better overall.

Will travel to ride!
    Sep 2011
    When I think of the urban areas I've ridden outside of Hampton Roads, I can't help but think there has to be more trail potential on the southside! There are a lot of decently sized parks in VB, Chesapeake, Suffolk, etc. And what about a little further west, too? Big Woods STATE FOREST has ~2,000 acres that could have some trails cut into it. I've hit up the EVMA about it, but no response. I didn't learn about EVMA-S until just now.

It'd just be nice to have a decent trail system that didn't require a major bridge-tunnel, especially the HRBT.
    Tidewater is home, Eagle Rock is base camp. I love mid-Atlantic/Appalachia riding!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Actually found some single track at First Landing just the other day, was on the main cape henry trail just trying out a new bike and found a little exit off to the side that led back to a lot of single track, No idea if I wasn't suppose to be on there or what but no one else was out there and it had some pretty decent hills and tight corners. Only went back a bout a mile or 2 because of time I had but going to check it out again real soon.

mtbr member

Southside Hampton Roads Trails??

Gator, ive been on those trails too. I think they are for hiking but no one is ever on them so i ride them. There is some good stuff if you are going fast enough. Im going to hit up seashore this weekend to see if anything new is there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Yea I was planning on exploring those trails a little more tomorrow since its like 5 min from my house or head over to Indian river if I have the time

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    A word of warning. The Park is very serious about bikes on the Hiking Trails. All have no bike signs posted. They will either write a ticket of confiscate your bike if they catch up with you. This area is extremely sensitive Ecologically. Please ride elsewhere. Not all parks need to cater to Mountainbikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I saw no signs but will be on the look out next time through.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Gator91 You are probably refering to some trails that connect the residential area at the North End of the beach through the park and onto either a Hiking Trail or 64th st.
    Not sure of the Parks rules regarding trails that are not marked. Talk to the Owner of North End Bikes. He can tell you for sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Not quite sure new to the park but I'll find out some more info before I cause any hikers some trouble