CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

Some places I dreams about

OK, so I’m really bored. Wanderlust of a 2 wheel kind has set in. It may be a while, but at least I can dream. No Florida or Arizona trips in my future

Some places I dream of…………

Listening to a bird sing at The Cove

Right in the Middle at Douthat

And a little wandering with George Washington

Go West young man, into a Bear Pen

And a visit South with Tom Jefferson

Doing Dody

Haming it up on Hammond

Riding with the horses and Glen

Heck its my dream, think I will ride a Dragon’s

Back

Then jump onto his Tail

Then I wake up. 10 inches of snow, freezing, and I got to work on Monday. It was a nice dream while it lasted. Still can’t wait to ride though………………
    Feel free to add some pics from your "dream rides"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Nice post CCR

care to elaborate on some of those locations when you get a chance?

I know I have asked you numerous times in the past about all the places you ride on a regular basis.. I need to expand my riding horizons a bit more come spring.

Id like to ride 'Rocky Top' on the Salem side of Fort Lewis Mtn. Me and a couple guys made it up there a few days ago before the snow hit - It rode awesome!!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 891
    Nice post CCR

care to elaborate on some of those locations when you get a chance?

I know I have asked you numerous times in the past about all the places you ride on a regular basis.. I need to expand my riding horizons a bit more come spring.

Id like to ride 'Rocky Top' on the Salem side of Fort Lewis Mtn. Me and a couple guys made it up there a few days ago before the snow hit - It rode awesome!!
    I have not ridden that Fort Lewis stuff yet either. Its on the list.

Was thinking I might let some folks guess first on the trail locations on this post. (I really am bored) Some are pretty easy, some not so. Most have hints in the caption above.

Any takers?

Tool
    I know a few of them, but never been to any of those spots.

This stuff looks tasty.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I know that spot on North Mtn - Im guessing the next one is the mtn next door? Price mtn?

The fort lewis trail Im referring to is different to say the least.

Most of it is a washed out ATV trail. plenty of loose and embedded rocks with some natural berms.

The gate will be closed the 13th of feb. but the fireroad climb up to the parking area wouldnt be that bad (done it plenty of times) its off wildwood rd in salem. Once you get to the second powerline the fireroad continues under the lines/towers. go up a few rises, one of which is kinda steep. As soon as the fireroad starts to dip down look for a trail off on the right through the bushes. Follow that trail up and it will lead to the blown out ATV portion (which is awesome on the way down)

The fireroad at the top of the trail can lead you to Big Bad Wolf if you go left or Elevator Shaft to the Right. Those bottom out on Bradshaw Rd in the other side of the county. Both of which are more traveled than 'Rocky Top'

mtbr member
    Nice post... Now if we could only bring on spring... I just want to pedal on dirt... yes dirt, not mud, not snow, DIRT.
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Yea Stagehand and Matt, the first one is North Mountain AKA Dragons Back near Rt 311. The next one is either Caldwell or Price mountain, not sure where one stops and the other begins, near or on Ferrier trail. I'm with you Jen, I can't get into snow riding. If it wasn't for skiing, I would really go crazy this time of year. Got a suprising good singletrack ride in on Mill Mountain last Saturday, then it rained 2 1/2 inches and then it snowed.........

i ride a bicycle
    I live about 1 hour south of the Cove ,we ride there ,P Pond,Douthat in the spring/summer.
    I have found a nice little winter getaway ,it would be about 2 hour drive for you guys and mabe too long of a drive.Westwood Park in Mt Airy NC .I ve found the trails there to be in better condition that further south trails in Charlotte NC .The place drains well ,good parking ,heated bathrooms are some of the +++ .The trail is marked beginner /technical ,anyone from your area could ride the technical (roots ,short steep climbs),so stay on the red markings.I would consider this a good place /not great except for the fact i haven t missed a week riding this winter ! Reviews are on trails/NC

mtbr member

Pics...

Keep posting those pics, I'll think about those trails as I shovel the 13 inches of fresh snow from my driveway...

Not sure what to type?
    Great thread!!!
    Here are some places I dream about.

Red Run

Prop's run

Blackwater River (Davis, WV)

Kennison Mtn. Trail

Overlook on Boundary Trail

Cow Pasture Trail

Camp 70 Road (Davis)

Had to throw this one in.
    Seneca Rocks (Harley Ride)
    The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze!!!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Hey HecklerBoy, thanks for the pic contribution. Nice to have some WV stoke (only one of mine was from there). Who is that young feller at Camp 70 in Davis, Malibu's little brother?

Man, Red Run looks as mean and nasty as I remember it. Is Boundary Trail at Slatyfork? I don't know if I have been on that one yet.

Not sure what to type?
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider
    Hey HecklerBoy, thanks for the pic contribution. Nice to have some WV stoke (only one of mine was from there). Who is that young feller at Camp 70 in Davis, Malibu's little brother?

Man, Red Run looks as mean and nasty as I remember it. Is Boundary Trail at Slatyfork? I don't know if I have been on that one yet.
    Yep, Boundary Trail is in Slatyfork, it branches off of Bear Pen.
    That young fella is Malibu himself.
    My how he has grown.

Bicycle rider
    I often dream about going back to ride the North Rim of the Grand Canyon again! Truly awesome
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some places I dreams about-north-rim-rs.jpg  

Some places I dreams about-north-rim-rs1.jpg  

Some places I dreams about-north-rim-happyhour-rs.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images
    Studies show 100% of people die. Might as well have some fun.

mtbr member
    Sigh. I've always loved winter and getting out there on my snowboard, but for some reason I'm just not feeling it this year. I really want to ride my mountain bike (and the Sporty - nice shot of the Nightster at Seneca Rocks, Hecklerboy!).

Cooper's Rock, WV

Big Bear Lake, WV

Margroff Plantation, MD

Not sure what to type?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Traveler
    Sigh. I've always loved winter and getting out there on my snowboard, but for some reason I'm just not feeling it this year. I really want to ride my mountain bike (and the Sporty - nice shot of the Nightster at Seneca Rocks, Hecklerboy!).

Cooper's Rock, WV

Big Bear Lake, WV

Margroff Plantation, MD

What!!! No Sporty Pic

mtbr member
    I don't have any scenics of the Sporty...didn't have a place to stash the camera. I fixed that problem - bought a solo bag.

Because I am !
    I seem to be dreaming of similar trails as Hecklerboy though a few more get jammed in there, such as

Huckleberry Trail / Spruce Knob (now an IMBA Epic)

Plantation Trail near Davis, WV

Moonrocks near Davis

And of course, Tea Creek Mountain Trail down in HB's teritory.

Dream on fellow mtbr's

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

Bicycle rider
    I now I keep saying it but... I need to get out to WV! I love the pics of the trails.
    Studies show 100% of people die. Might as well have some fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    damn cool post man. @ OP what are you riding there, i see ur bike in one of the first pics, and it looks like a specialized.

Well you got me jelouse, and with this sucky snow it doesnt look like ill be riding anytime soon.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by teders
    damn cool post man. @ OP what are you riding there, i see ur bike in one of the first pics, and it looks like a specialized.

Well you got me jelouse, and with this sucky snow it doesnt look like ill be riding anytime soon.
    My bike is a Santa Cruz Blur LT, 50 th birthday present to myself. Love it, its a great bike. I ride solo a lot so I end up with a lot of bike pictures.

ExigeS, that Grand Canyon stuff looks sweet. Looks like 20 or so miles around the rim area.

ODN, glad you added some pics. This post wouldn't be complete without some of your great WV ride pics. I'm not sure if I have ridden Tea Creek Mountain yet. Still trying to get my bearings at Slatyfork - guess I'll have to go back some this year!

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    I dream of Dragons Back as well.....but would even like a sidewalk without snow!!!
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

the unvarnished nonsense
    Nice post. Haven't even chimed in yet and I see myself, my bike and my tent. HB, the overlook pic is the one that you got published in DirtRag, no? Surprised we haven't seen Prop's in here yet. Nobody dreamin' about mile long tunnels of Stinging Nettles?? There's another place I've been seeing in my REM cycle lately, maybe I'll throw up a pic in a bit if/when I find them.

BTW, if you shufflers haven't heard, chili is a proud pappy again. Zoe Lee Rose is his new healthy daughter. Let's hope she looks like mom!
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

Not sure what to type?
    Quote Originally Posted by davis
    Nice post. Haven't even chimed in yet and I see myself, my bike and my tent. HB, the overlook pic is the one that you got published in DirtRag, no? Surprised we haven't seen Prop's in here yet. Nobody dreamin' about mile long tunnels of Stinging Nettles?? There's another place I've been seeing in my REM cycle lately, maybe I'll throw up a pic in a bit if/when I find them.

BTW, if you shufflers haven't heard, chili is a proud pappy again. Zoe Lee Rose is his new healthy daughter. Let's hope she looks like mom!
    Yep that's the overlook pic in DirtRag.
    My second pic is the first creek crossing on Prop's Run.

Congrats Chili.
    Now get you A$$ on a bike and get to the Shuffle this year!!!

Because I am !
    Nice post. Surprised we haven't seen Prop's in here yet. Nobody dreamin' about mile long tunnels of Stinging Nettles??
    davis, Put your glasses on and read the post again .

I saw that pic of Prop's and believe I was the photographer on that one.

So here are just a couple more for davis to refresh his Prop's Run memory.

After looking at all the Prop's run photos I have I'll be sure to dream about it tonight.

ODN

mtbr member
    I am enjoying these pictures as well. I really would like to broaden my horizons and ride different places too. I agree I'm ready for spring (I've said it a hundred times here probably). Sorry! I also want so badly to go pick up my new bike!!! I'm supposed to pick it up Saturday, but guess what the weather forecast is.... SIGH...

the unvarnished nonsense
    Ironically, I have been wearing glasses as of late, but just readers. Seems my arms are getting shorter as I age. Perhaps I'll get lucky and come down with glaucoma.

ODN, that last pic of yours, at the drop off on Prop's....I seem to remember watching someone (we won't mention any names) doing their best Superman imitation at that point on a ride a few years back. I think HB may have had a pic of that as well....but maybe I'm wrong...the eyes aren't the only things going, ya know?

Somebody call me when spring comes. I think that f'in groundhog saw his shadow this morning, so don't call too soon. I think we should hit up the new system at Raystown Lake this year. Think 30+ mile pump track. Pics galore on the PA forum, just search "Raystown". I'm buying.

HB: $5 if I see that Superman pic.

Because I am !
    ODN, that last pic of yours, at the drop off on Prop's....I seem to remember watching someone (we won't mention any names) doing their best Superman imitation at that point on a ride a few years back. I think HB may have had a pic of that as well....but maybe I'm wrong...the eyes aren't the only things going, ya know?

I remember my rendition on that drop. You were the one taking the pics and I jumped up and asked if you got it. That bruis was there awhile.

Hey the Raystown thing sounds awesome. Was reading about DirtRags Dirt Fest coming up in May and posted it on my Facebook page. Maybe we can get a group together to enjoy those three days.

ODN

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerJen
    I am enjoying these pictures as well. I really would like to broaden my horizons and ride different places too.
    Hey BJ you'll have to pack up and come up to the Pocahontas County area, you know Tea Creek Mtn, Gauley Mtn, Red Run, Bear Pen, Boundary Trail and many more. Watch this forum and we usually post up when we're heading that way. Be glad to show you around the trails in that area.

ODN

the unvarnished nonsense
    Dreams are funny things. Sometimes they contain flashes of old, dear, and sadly, rarely seen friends...

Sometimes its all of the usual suspects...

Sometimes they take us to a most familiar place, although the view is one that is more of a feeling than a vision...

And then they take me a few miles down the road, going up...

...then down...

They can get weird...

No. I mean REALLY F*CKING WEIRD...

And sometimes they take us to far away, exotic locales...

No matter where the dreams lead, one thing is always the same. Eventually I awake to cold hard reality.

Edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot about those bizarre sex dreams.....

Last edited by davis; 02-02-2010 at 09:29 PM.

Not sure what to type?
    Quote Originally Posted by outdoornut
    I remember my rendition on that drop. You were the one taking the pics and I jumped up and asked if you got it. That bruis was there awhile.
    ODN
    Yeah, Davis I believe you're the one that took that pic.
    You really need to lay off the "salad".

Not sure what to type?
    Somebody call me when spring comes. I think that f'in groundhog saw his shadow this morning, so don't call too soon. I think we should hit up the new system at Raystown Lake this year. Think 30+ mile pump track. Pics galore on the PA forum, just search "Raystown". I'm buying.
    Raystown looks sweet.
    I vote for Davis to plan the first annual Raystown Shuffle.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Actually, I'm salad-free these days. Can't find the pic anywhere. Maybe its on the "old" laptop. Hard to say. So a Raystown trip seems in order? Maybe we should plan on going sometime when there's not already a ton of people going to be there, as the trails are wide open speed fests, not the slow techy stuff we get in WV.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Davis - thanks for the great pics. Still love that porcupine pic.

Jen - What kind of bike are you waiting on? No wonder you are ready for spring. OutdoorNut and his crew have quite a time at the Slatyfork Shuffle, if you don't mind getting your bike dirty haha. I hope I can make it this year.

Matt - Pics at the beginning of this post are (in order I hope)

Songbird Trail - Carvins Cove
    Middle Mountain Trail - Douthat State Park
    Middle Mountain Trail, north end - GWNF, looking up The Wall
    Sandy Gap Trail - GWNF
    Bear Pen Trail - MNF, Slatyfork, WV
    Dody Ridge - Glenwood Horse Trail, JNF
    Dody Ridge - Glenwood Horse Trail, JNF
    Hammond Hollow Trail - JNF
    Glenwood Horse Trail - JNF
    Dragons Back - North Mountain Trail, JNF
    Dragons Tail - Ferrier Trail, JNF

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    good stuff everyone! enjoying the pics! I haven't been out to Price in a long time! I'm not sure if I've ridden that Ferrier trail... you down Matt?

I can't wait until we thaw out!

Porcupine is def. cool, I've never seen one in real life!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Castle
    good stuff everyone! enjoying the pics! I haven't been out to Price in a long time! I'm not sure if I've ridden that Ferrier trail... you down Matt?

I can't wait until we thaw out!

Porcupine is def. cool, I've never seen one in real life!
    Price Mountain - Broad Run Mountain, all pretty tough stuff. C.S. and friends cleaned off Ferrier last year for the Dragons Tail race. I really like it. Climb up from Stone Coal Gap and hang a left at the rock pier on top. Starts out technical like my photo shows, then rips into some shaley sidehill stuff. Fast, just watch out for the stone steps. Suprised me into a really pretty endo. I took a left at the bottom on the FS road and came back on Lick Branch (i think) trail. Real pretty, but tough with so many slick creek crossings that you can not get any rythem ( I would say painful this time of year). I think on the race they actually went out 311 and back up Broad Run Road. Multiple creek crossings there too. Might be better as a shuttle ride.

I think I might start a "Dream#2" post. This one is getting pretty big and slow to open. Anyone second that?

Because I am !
    Very nice davis

ODN

mtbr member
    Hey BJ you'll have to pack up and come up to the Pocahontas County area, you know Tea Creek Mtn, Gauley Mtn, Red Run, Bear Pen, Boundary Trail and many more. Watch this forum and we usually post up when we're heading that way. Be glad to show you around the trails in that area.

ODN
    I'd love to go somewhere new and different. As long as you don't mind waiting on a slow, ass girl.

And to whoever asked - Gunnar Rockhound 29er. It's built, just have to go pick it up! Hoping for no snow Friday and Saturday so I can go get it.

the unvarnished nonsense
    And to whoever asked - Gunnar Rockhound 29er. It's built, just have to go pick it up! Hoping for no snow Friday and Saturday so I can go get it.

Nice. BTW, its supposed to snow like all hell in our area starting Friday. Just sayin'.

Because I am !
    I'd love to go somewhere new and different. As long as you don't mind waiting on a slow, ass girl.

I am always glad to ride with anyone who wants to enjoy some of the trails I love so much.

Nice bike. That will be great on the trails in WV when you get to come up. Hope you get a chance to put those two wheels to work before the snow gets there.

ODN

mtbr member
    NEED I SAY MORE....DREAMS OF RIDING BACK IN CALI. AGAIN!

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by Hecklerboy
    Raystown looks sweet.
    I vote for Davis to plan the first annual Raystown Shuffle.

I second that motion ! All those in favor ?

ODN

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    outdoor nut, where are those pics taken from??

and davis... same question for you.

these pics are amazing, i love them and could stare at them for a while. they make me sad though cuz all i see outside right now is the dull and boring contrast of grey sky on white ground.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I second that motion ! All those in favor ?

ODN
    Raystown sounds awesome!

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    I would gladly ride in stinging nettle-if it would stop this ice and snow were getting here right now! Up to 12in snow and 1/2 ice possible...i promice to love nettle,mosquitos,poison ivy,horses,etc.......please hurry spring!!!
    Bz
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

the unvarnished nonsense
    ...where are those pics taken from??

and davis... same question for you.

My pics are:

1) Chili riding his custom Steelman at Moonrocks (near Davis, WV)
    2) Break time along Kennison Mt Trail (Pocahontas Co., WV) during '08 Slatyfork Shuffle
    3) Ground study along Laurel Run Trail (aka Rimel area, Pocahontas Co. WV)
    4&5) Two Lick Trail (Pocahontas Co., WV)
    6) Road ride w/my daughter (Highland Scenic Highway, Pocahontas Co., WV)
    7) Porcupine, shortly before the aerial attack (Laurel Mt. PA)
    8) #401 Trail (Crested Butte, CO)
    9) From the lift (Snowshoe, WV)
    10) Show Me Your Mushrooms! (Laurel Run Trail)

Don't be sad, rejoice! Let it snow! Bring it on! Hoping for 12+" here!!!! WOOHOO!!!

the unvarnished nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy46
    NEED I SAY MORE....DREAMS OF RIDING BACK IN CALI. AGAIN!

I'm guessing after a 30 mile desert ride in 90 degree heat it doesn't look so great....

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    AMAZING

Virginia Whitetail Deer

California Whitetail Dear

Incredible species variation between the East Coast and West Coast

the unvarnished nonsense
    Actually, I think the latter species is a "whale tail", not a "white tail", but what do I know...

Because I am !
    outdoor nut, where are those pics taken from??
    Guess my labels only mean something to those who know the trails. Sorry.

#1 and #2 are from Spruce Knob, WV the highest point in the state. Huckleberry Trail runs off the top and makes it's way down the mountain, not for the faint of heart, to Judy Springs Trail and Seneca Creek Trail in the valley.

#3 Plantation Trail is just outside of Davis, WV / Canaan Valley, WV actually on Canaan Mountain.

#4 Moonrocks trail is right beside Davis, WV. Best ride is on the CVI trails to get there and then do HooDoo Rocks in the loop.

#5 My son Malibu riding the rocky mountain top on Tea Creek Mountain Trail. (Edit: sorry, near Slatyfork, WV also).

The next batch of pictures (all three) are from Prop's Run Trail, Slatyfork, WV. The first is just a neat spot along the trail, the next creek crossing is BallBat making his way through, and the last is my son Malibu again coming of an interesting drop on Prop's Run Trail.

ODN

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Dreams are funny things.

Edit: Oh yeah, almost forgot about those bizarre sex dreams.....

These pics seem to belong together. I think I'm ready for spring.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007

So Green

These 2 pics are so green they make my eyes hurt.

Margroff Plantation, MD (Trail Traveler)

[/QUOTE]

Prop's Run memory (Outdoornut)

Thanks Trail Traveler and OutdoorNut for the green, it looks so unusual when it looks like this outside this morning.

I think I will wear sunglasses when I look at those green pictures again.

Members who have read this thread: 1