mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Some of the best SINGLESPEED tracks in the region.

First off, I apologize if this has been posted before....but what are, (in yall's opinion) some of the best singletracks in the VA, MD, NC, WV region for singlespeeders?

I am located between Richmond and Washington DC in VA and I have been lurking on here for a while, but I just started biking this past year. I am still a relatively newish biker in terms of skills, but I would really like to travel some this summer and hit different trails.

So, if you have suggestions, post them up! Videos and pictures are welcome too!

mtbr member
    I've ridden hardtail singlespeed at Gambrill, so uh...anywhere? :P

Shaffer, Rosaryville, Laurel Hill. Really most anything around DC/NOVA is pretty SS friendly.

mtbr member
    Preddy Creek. Shouldn't be too far from you, it's north of Charlottesville. The main loop is fantastic for SS, the advanced loop wasn't open yet when I was there, but I got a peek at it, and it should be ridable, albeit a bit more adventurous than the main loop.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think most of the local trails here in DC metro area are pretty single speed friendly. The main trails I ride are Wakefield, Laurel Hill, and Meadowood in Fairfax County. All are fast and flowy and were built by MORE specifically for mountain biking. All have trail features like steps and little hills (don't know the technical term) that break up long climbs, making it easier to get up. Going the other way, you can pump the features to build speed downhill. I don't have a SS, but rarely use more than two or three gears on any given trail.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Maybe its me, but any MTB trail is good for SS; if a trail is too difficult for me on my SS, I need to get stronger/better.

psycho cyclo addict
    Lots to choose from in the area...

The MoCo Epic route, MD
    Cabin John, MD
    Cedarville, MD
    Fairland, MD
    Fountainhead, VA
    Freedom Center trails (Snotcycle loop), VA
    Laurel Hill, VA
    Meadowood, VA
    Patapsco State Park, MD (might want to think about your gearing more for climbing, depending on what part you ride)
    Quantico, VA
    Rosaryville, MD

This map might be helpful for determining relative distance between the trails...

Regional Mountain Bike Rides - Google Maps

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    Maybe its me, but any MTB trail is good for SS; if a trail is too difficult for me on my SS, I need to get stronger/better.
    I agree!! Just get a bigger cog if you go somewhere particularly hilly or rocky.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Some of the best SINGLESPEED tracks in the region.

What about Pocahontas State park in chesterfield. There was a ton of SS guys and girls there last weekend for the race and they were all very happy with their choice of bike for the day

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If your between Richmond nad DC your probably around Fredericksburg and the Quarry and Lodi are both good SS options. Closer to Richmond Pocahontas was mentioned but hit up the lakeview and Green, Blue, Red MTB loops for the singletrack (the Monster Cross course is fun but not singletrack) Poor Farm in Ashland is great SS as well and likely closer to you.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Re: Some of the best SINGLESPEED tracks in the region.

Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    If your between Richmond nad DC your probably around Fredericksburg and the Quarry and Lodi are both good SS options. Closer to Richmond Pocahontas was mentioned but hit up the lakeview and Green, Blue, Red MTB loops for the singletrack (the Monster Cross course is fun but not singletrack) Poor Farm in Ashland is great SS as well and likely closer to you.
    I have ridden Lodi and the Quarry and enjoy both, but I want to branch out a little. Lodi is my favorite so far!

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

I'm the map, I'm the map....

Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    Lots to choose from in the area...

The MoCo Epic route, MD
    Cabin John, MD
    Cedarville, MD
    Fairland, MD
    Fountainhead, VA
    Freedom Center trails (Snotcycle loop), VA
    Laurel Hill, VA
    Meadowood, VA
    Patapsco State Park, MD (might want to think about your gearing more for climbing, depending on what part you ride)
    Quantico, VA
    Rosaryville, MD

This map might be helpful for determining relative distance between the trails...

Regional Mountain Bike Rides - Google Maps
    This google map will get me to magic mountain! Thanks!

mtbr member
    You should be hitting Fountainhead near Lorton. Easily my favorite. 32x19 works great there. Rosaryville is fun too, fast & flowy. I ride 32x16 there. Patapsco can be fun if you put a good route together, but it's a big place and can be overwhelming at first if you don't know where you're going. I ride 32x19 there becasue I like to hit all the big climbs.
    2014 Yeti Arc XO1
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid