Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

So what are you doing instead?

I figure at this point is is safe to assume I am not the only one not riding these days. With the roads the way they are I don't even want to road bike. I'm in Blacksburg, I think some of you reading have even more snow than we do.

So, what is the upside?

I went up to Winterplace (1 hour and $32 for a student ticket) and was actually getting powder turns in the woods!! I have not been able to do this around here since the storm of 1996. And the great thing is that most people there don't even think to go off-trail and hit it, so you are not having to race for it. Where I lived in Tahoe for a few years it would have been tracked out in two hours, but a day later I was still getting good turns in.

The xc skiing is also really good right now as well. I know this is not new to some of you folks up in WV, but it does not happen often around here.

This is keeping my mind off the fact that this is shaping up to be the worst winter for MTB around here since I started riding 11 years ago.

mtbr member
    Shoveling...and lots of it. I've also been snowshoeing around the backyard. I'm going snowboarding tomorrow.

mtbr member
    I'm drinking coffee, worrying about my roof, working from home, doing music composition exercises, and shoveling. Did I mention drinking coffee.

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    im spending way too much time online on MTBR... its raining right now, hopefully it will melt this richmond snow so i can ride buddermilk this weekend, but chances are thats a big NO
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

mtbr member
    shoveling and spending way too much time on MTBR
    fesch
    Riding in snow is for the desperate.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Here in Williamsburg, VA we only got about 4 inches of snow from the monster storm. So I went and rode Freedom Park trail today. I was the first one through most of the trail, and it was a blast. On much of the trail the snow had disappeared. One other rider had started the trail, and seemed to have finished it, but his track disappeared for most of the middle. I don't know how he did that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Working a bit actually (that keeps a regularly unemployed person somewhat busy)

Internet, Music and Calisthenics

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Riding my Wildfire snow bike.
    Andy

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jbgilm
    One other rider had started the trail, and seemed to have finished it, but his track disappeared for most of the middle. I don't know how he did that.
    I think this is the story where Jesus carries him.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Riding my Pugsley some but there is a lot of snow here even for that. Mostly hoofing it up my local hilly trails with my dog and telemark skis and getting some great powder turns in the woods and on the trails. I've been missing those days since moving to VA from VT so this has been a great winter. It's been fun watching the dog do the porpoise while chasing me. It's deep enough in spots that she'll go completely under and back up with each bound.

mtbr member
    shoveling, getting fat, shoveling, thinking about cleaning my bike, shoveling.
    2011 Niner EMD
    Wounds Heal, Chicks dig scars, Glory lasts FOREVER!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    One more for shovelling. And web surfing way too much. But, the other day, before Round 2 started, I went out on my mountain bike. As long as I stayed on streets where the snow was fairly compacted, it was fine. Fortunately (or unfortunately), they didn't plow our neighborhood for crap, so its like having a mountain right out my front door. Everybody I rode by let me know I was nuts. But it really wasn't too different from riding in the desert, which I did a lot of in past years. Boy that was fun. I'm gonna have to get some proper studded tires and do this more often.

spooge is gone!
    Thinking about riding on trainer (boring!!) but probably wont.
    "Can see forever, but I can't see anything"

the mountian is within
    Nov 2004
    writing my manifesto,cleaning the cabin....
    i own a bikeshop in WV thetruewheelwv.com

mtbr member
    Staring at my bike on the trainer and being thankful the wife hasn't gotten hard to look at or to be around while we're snowed in. Thank goodness she not a nag!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    riding the trainer. figured out if you play videogames on the trainer, is not nearly as boring lol
    "Want to ride some more miles...?"

What It Be ?
    Working. Snow = Double time here and OT on weekend. Just finishing up building my Air9 waiting on some wheels should be done today. Riding the trainer and doing core work.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Quote Originally Posted by 29buzz
    writing my manifesto,cleaning the cabin....
    ROTF

Ironing and scraping. And I don't mean clothes and windshields.

There's a fairly steep little hill about a block away that is sometimes used for sledding. This morning I saw two kids (probably around 9 year olds) dragging their snowboards up. Of course, I ran home and got my stuff. When I got there they wanted to check out my board then one asked, "What's the shovel for?" Well son, its for buildng jumps, obviously. I was quickly voted the coolest old guy in the neighborhood. One eventually asked me my age so I told him. "Geez. You're even older than my dad!" Dad shows up and sees us hitting the kickers. He must think I'm some teenage punk and an obvious bad influence so he tries to round the boys up to go home. I heard one saying, "But dad, he's not some older kid....he's an OLD MAN....older than YOU!" I went over and introduced myself to put dad at ease. I asked him if he rode. No, said he was too old.
    "Sufficient to have stood, yet free to fall."
    -John Milton, Paradise Lost

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    getting fatter by the minute!
    Sir Dabs-alot

mtbr member
    I now have an upper respiratory issue, so I'm doing nothing. Not even the gym. X(
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by davis
    ROTF

There's a fairly steep little hill about a block away that is sometimes used for sledding. This morning I saw two kids (probably around 9 year olds) dragging their snowboards up. Of course, I ran home and got my stuff. When I got there they wanted to check out my board then one asked, "What's the shovel for?" Well son, its for buildng jumps, obviously. I was quickly voted the coolest old guy in the neighborhood. One eventually asked me my age so I told him. "Geez. You're even older than my dad!" Dad shows up and sees us hitting the kickers. He must think I'm some teenage punk and an obvious bad influence so he tries to round the boys up to go home. I heard one saying, "But dad, he's not some older kid....he's an OLD MAN....older than YOU!" I went over and introduced myself to put dad at ease. I asked him if he rode. No, said he was too old.

Great story.

mtbr member
    Wow, folks. Seven Springs was $$$$$$$ today. My legs are toast.

mtbr member
    spear fishing in key west
    Hooyah space monkey

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. What doesn't kill me, dies.

deep sea CCLXXXI

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Digging out of 40" of snow, that's right 40". 26" on Sat-Sun and another 14+" today. Northeast MD got hammered the last 4 days and I think they are calling for more on Monday. Will it ever end? Thank goodness I have CTS Training DVD to keep me occupied.

The need for singlespeed
    I baked cookies.

mtbr member
    Rode the fixie w/studded tires right down the middle of the GWP from Old Town Alexandria to Mt Vernon during the 'blizzard' yesterday. Had to move over a couple of times for plows and cars. Fun ride.

(he thinks he can)
    May 2009
    shoveling snow, practicing track standing, wishing i had a trainer, way to much mtbr, cleaning and lubing bike over and over..oh and flipped my stem kinda like the look and wonder how it'll do in the trails
    08 SS c'dale f4
    07 Prophet
    10 Yeti DJ
    Yeti Arc-x
    11 Yeti asr5-c
    ..and they place nice together!

Bicycle rider
    Drinking Beer!
    Studies show 100% of people die. Might as well have some fun.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Went back to Winterplace today, after the snow that fell yesterday and over night. Un-freakin-believable!! It was as good as a half-decent powder day out west, except that there was nobody there (well, that and the runs are pretty short). Seriously, there were about 5 other people riding in the trees and paying any attention to the fresh, deep powder along the sides of the groomers (I was bummed that they groomed overnight). I rode for 4 hours and was getting fresh powder the WHOLE time.

The need for singlespeed

Because I am !
    ROTF

Gotta love it..... If you're too old for stuff like that then I might as well set up my funeral
    Thanks for the laugh davis.

ODN
    Caffeine ! "Do stupid things faster and with more energy" ! !

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    The remodeling project is coming right along, but I would probably not have chosen this time of year to put in new windows.

Brother, nephew, one of his friends, and I did a ski trip at Snowshoe Monday. Must say, some of the best skiing I've had without going out West. A warm day (mid-20's), no lift lines or crowds, and tons of snow. On our drive up we dropped in some hollows where temperatures by the car thermometer went as low as -9F. Got there and the temperature went up with the elevation. Cup and Shays were in great shape. No powder like Kapusta had, but the loose stuff from grooming was pretty close. No wind, no ice. I wouldn't b**** too much about winter if I could do that twice a week.

mtbr member
    masterbation mostly. Hell I'm laid off and there's nothing to do outside. My fore arm will be huge this spring!
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by terrible
    masterbation mostly. Hell I'm laid off and there's nothing to do outside. My fore arm will be huge this spring!
    You gotta be laid off and stuck inside to finally get around to that? Must have been some good job.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've been attempting to make a halfpipe out of snow in the side of my driveway, got it all packed down and everything but i need some carpet so I can actually use it (otherwise the wheels just go straight into the snow. The only spare bit I have is a big section that is rolled up, covered in snow, frozen solid, and so heavy I can't even pick it up.

Haha the first thing I did when I got up the morning it snowed was clear a path from the shed out a little ways so I could try and ride through the snow. Rode as fast as I could into a 3ft or so deep snowbank and was uncerimoniously hurled over the handlebars, flew about 4 ft or so and was completely buried in snow. Made my dad laugh harder then I've ever seen him laugh.

Bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ExigeS
    Drinking Beer!
    I would now like to add “watching the Olympics” to my “Drinking Beer” post! So now I am Drinking Beer and watching the Olympics. It feels good to be doing something different!

I am the owl
    Rode some Frederick County powder yesterday

SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    http://www.freeimagehosting.net/imag...4f4b4f811b.jpg

played in the snow yesterday. made a decent box jump

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thinking of Spring and buying new stuff for my bike, can't wait, sooo much happier when I'm riding.

Bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by ExigeS
    I would now like to add “watching the Olympics” to my “Drinking Beer” post! So now I am Drinking Beer and watching the Olympics. It feels good to be doing something different!
    I would like to add "riding my trainer" to my drinking beer and watching the Olympics post

Because I am !
    Well, was only off the bike a week and 1/2. The snow melted enough in the sun over the last few days I was able to hit the trails again today. Awesome!

ODN

Not sure what to type?
    Working out at the gym.
    Riding the exercise bike to keep legs in shape.
    Teaching Karate.

Just bought a new set of Crank Brothers Candy C's for the Heckler.
    Can't wait to see how they do.

Davis, I know how you feel.
    Kids in Karate class are always asking how old I am.
    When I tell them 39 they say "wow, you're older than my mom & dad"
    The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze!!!

mtbr member
    Also been doing ahuge remodel on the upstairs of my house. We hired some one to do the tear out, framing, dry wall and plumbing and I've ben doing the electrical and painting. It's going well so far. Floor guy is coming tomorrow and I'm really excited to see what the floors and stairs look like after they are re-finished/sanded.

This is before most of the framing was done and after tear out. You can see the old insulation from 1954 (wasn't doing much good)

We painted all day sunday and most of saturday night. My end is pretty much done. After some door frames and toiletries from the contractor I can have my bedroom back. With a new shower and an office for the wife too!!

There was a wall all the way along the stairs when we started. In an attempt to open the room I had them take that wall out and we are going to have a hand rail put in in it's place.

I'll post some more pics after the hardwood is done.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Also been doing ahuge remodel on the upstairs of my house. We hired some one to do the tear out, framing, dry wall and plumbing and I've ben doing the electrical and painting. It's going well so far.
    I'm with you there Terrible. I've been working on a 1923 duplex for about a year now. After I ran out of money for contracting, guess who had to go back to work. Upstairs is mostly done. Downstairs is coming along pretty well, with new window installation being the most recent work. Kitchen and bath will follow, and then back to the stalled 1910 farmhouse project. I'm glad Outdoornut can find time to go out and ride

When the weather does break, I will postpone remodeling and ride guiltless into the sunset.

mtbr member
    Wow, I thought a house built in '54 was bad enough to work on. I couldn't imagine one built in 1923!

bike addict
    Jan 2004
    i snowboard and play lotsa MW2 on PS3

El Gato Malo
    Snow shovel deadlifts

mtbr member
    drinking beer, eating food, and getting really fat.

the unvarnished nonsense
    Wow, I thought a house built in '54 was bad enough to work on. I couldn't imagine one built in 1923!
    Ours was built in 1903. Full of surprises. Fun stuff.

Gravity addict
    Looks like everyone has been keeping busy with snow, remodeling, beer, and masterbation LOL....Going on my 3rd week of being laid off been mostly a housewife now...cleaning and tending to the kids, and shoveling way to much snow. We also been looking at possibly relocating since my wife had her job cut to and she is trying to transfer within the company before her last day. Unfortunaltley the possible locations keep getting worse and worse so now I'm also researching real estate hoping to find a house with a huge yard to put in some freeride/slopestyle stuff with a pump track- thinking a roll in from the roof where ever we end up which looks like a toss up between witchita ks and victoria texas, both very very flat and the one (victoria tx) really doesnt have much.
    But this thread put a smile on my face and gives me the chance to say to you all that spring will come soon and atleast you all will have mountains to ride as for me I'll have to build something or get a moto!
    How's that dirt taste?

mtbr member
    Being layed off in the winter sucks. Most of the guys I work with want to sit around all winter and work in the summer, I'm the opposite so sitting in here day after day is killing me too!

Also you're not the only one who looks at houses and trail networks at the same time

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Is there any snow-free riding in the southern part of VA or near the coast? I drove from DC to Virginia Beach this weekend, and it looked like spots in the woods out that way had received very little snow.

Because I am !

Still going !

However it about kicked my arse tonight. The drifts made it nearly impossible but at least I was still able to ride. Gets any deeper and It's over again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So what are you doing instead?-100_2026.jpg  

So what are you doing instead?-100_2029.jpg  

mtbr member
    Bored near Bedford? Come try the Mountaincross Series race on Sunday. Not sure what Kenny has planned because the trails were snowcovered last weekend. He's supposed to put up a helmet cam of the course today. Check it out if you're so inclined. I look at it as a good excuse to go ride and get muddy!

MTX Series.
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

Nostralpicas
    Spring is on the horizon

All work and no play makes "and all no work play"

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Well, the wait is over (sort of). I got a good road ride in today. I still don't want to think about how long it will be until the trails are not a mess.

mtbr member
    What's that out in the water, tic tac?

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Traveler
    What's that out in the water, tic tac?
    Loch Ness Monster? Or a piece of salt from the Margarita got onto the lens.

Nostralpicas
    some say myth ,some say legend,I like the salt theory.
    All work and no play makes "and all no work play"

Because I am !
    Quote Originally Posted by tic tac
    some say myth ,some say legend,I like the salt theory.

I just figured it was some Shuffler out there takin' a ho bath after a ride

ODN

The need for singlespeed
    Hiked the Greenbrier Challenge race loop today in a foot of white'n'heavy. Got first tracks on some sections, more than a week after the storms!

the unvarnished nonsense
    Nessie or salt? What I'm wondering is what that big orange thing is....

Bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigCreekRider
    Loch Ness Monster?
    LOL, that was a good one! Yea, what is that anyway

Not sure what to type?
    Nessie or salt? What I'm wondering is what that big orange thing is....
    I believe that's what the ancients used to call "THE SUN".
    It was used in various religious rituals and some fesivals.
    It's rarely seen today and some even claim it doesn't exist.
    The Juice Was Worth The Squeeze!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

What snow...

Been XC skiing until I hurt all over then shoveling snow. Riding when the roads are somewhat clear. Teaching spin class at the YMCA. Making plans for a stellar year in the bike shop. Longing for warmer longer days and some sunshine. Maybe August!

Won't be riding singletrack, on wheels, for a while around these here parts.

Joey
    joeysbikeshop.com

Members who have read this thread: 0