I wreck alot

Snowshoe MTB Park on a Nomad?

Looking at heading up to Snowshoe next season to ride. For those that have been, would a beefy Nomad C be alright for the riding or is a proper downhill bike recommended?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I rode there with a group of friends with my 29er ss with 100mm reba, a guy with a 26 inch trek hardtail and another with a Carveer 69er. It is certainly less than ideal but a lot of fun can still be had on these types of bikes there.
    I have never ridden a downhill bike and would like to rent one next time. I'm sure it is much better that way but if you are on a tight budget and or just want to try it for the challenge of riding the Nomad it can still be a blast.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    FWIW, SS has a lot more groomed trails now that a Nomad would fit right in. Other trails there I'd rather have a DH bike. But that's just me and not to say that you couldn't take a Nomad down all those either.

mtbr member
    My buddy got rid of his DH bike (a Bullit w/ a triple crown) and now just rides his Aluminum Nomad at Snowshoe. He seems to enjoy it, but for me, the fun factor is much higher with a DH bike. Certainly there are some smoother trails at SS that are more conducive to an AM bike, but I think the overall experience (speed, control, etc.) is better with a DH-specific bike. I'll also say that my Nomad buddy seems to be busting up a lot of wheels lately, although he rides pretty damn hard.

mtbr member
    Did it on a Titus El Guapo for 20 laps and loved it. Could have had some bigger tires but I had a good time. 17th out of 50 in solo without a single issue.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I went in snowshoe with my Yeti 5, No problem. so you Nomad is Ok. There are many trail so you can find the best for you , there are so wide and clean so you really enjoy it. My advise is Pads (protection), You can rent it but are a liitle expensive so you can buy in ebay for cheap. Also new pads for you bike (brakes pads) and a good fisical condition because even you don't pedal too much you get tired.

take care

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Your Nomad should be more than fine. I've taken my 6" GT Sanction there a couple times and have had a blast.

mtbr member
    It ain't the bike, it's the rider. I rode there 7-8 days last year on a 6" bike. No problem on any of it. Helps a lot with speed and jumping to have a little less travel anyway.

I did put a 7" fork on the bike and some adult-sized tires on it. Oh, and a 50mm stem. All the trails I rode, I rode really fast, did all the jumps/drops and wore shorts and a t-shirt the entire time. If you are a better than average bike handler, no problems.

mk