mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Snowshoe Mountain WV????

Hi,
    Can anyone comment on riding at Snowshoe? I am a cross country / trail rider.
    It looks like a great destination, but is it all for free ride / downhill?

thanks

matt

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    I have not ridden the stuff at the resort but I here its pretty good.

FYI there is also an extensive backcountry trail system down the mountain near Slatyfork and up off of Scenic Highway 151.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The bike park is all DH/freeride oriented. But don't let that scare you, the trails all vary and you can set your own intensity level. Even if you stick to their easier trails, you'll still have a blast. They upgraded their rental bikes last summer, so you should be able to rent a solid bike if needed. It's pretty laid back during the summer too. It's hard to have a bad time there.

mini clyde
    Last bike season the bike shop had paper maps of fire roads and other non-DH/FR trails on the mountain. I don't see a link to it on the web, if you call them maybe they can link you up or email a pdf to you. I believe you could make a 20-something mile loop from the village around far side of the lake on the Basin side, past the fire tower and back up the other end of the main ridge.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    XC on Snowshoe mountain has been going downhill (forgive the pun) for many years. There was a time when they had a very extensive XC trail system. Now, many of those trails have been either closed or transformed to 4wheeler or motorcycle use.

Now for the good news, as a poster said above: There is world-class XC in Slatyfork, Cranberry, Durbin and other surrounding areas . . . very back-country and tough (long days without seeing anyone else on the trail). Call the Elk River Touring Center in Slatyfork for info. You will enjoy these trails - - - especially if you have a 29er.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    My post above said Scenic Highway 151 and I think it is Scenic Highway 150. For some reason the edit function would not work for me.

Like Pisgah said, this is some of the toughest riding you'll do anywhere, but it is a blast. Kennison Mountain is my particular favorite of the lot. I would not recommend riding these trails solo though.

mtbr member
    I rode Snowshoe a bunch last year and it is running great! I rode the DH trails and the flow trails. The DH stuff is totally do-able on a 5 or 6" bike if you have experience and big tires. I had the most fun on the flow trails though. Super-fast, big jumps, flowy drops, huge turns with some singletrack in the middle. I was able to nail almost all of it riding without looking at it first. I was much better, smoother and faster a few runs deep, but it's very progression friendly. They have 2-3-4-6 foot drops right outside the MAC so you can check your skills and practice the drops. They don't have a lot of lumber, which is fine with me.

XC riding is in Slatyfork (Elk River Touring) and is amazing. Harrisonburg, VA, is on the way too, depending on how you get there. Amazing few hundred miles of singletrack in there as well. Probably more.

Have fun. It's worth it. Talk to April at First Tracks Reality for rental up on the mountain. And ask for some applejack when you pick up your key...

mk

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    How far is slatyfork from the lodge? Are the trails well marked and maintained? do you know where i could get a trail map?

thanks
    Matt

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bowler1 View Post
    How far is slatyfork from the lodge? Are the trails well marked and maintained? do you know where i could get a trail map?

thanks
    Matt
    I am going to guess 15 or so miles away. Elk River would have the latest on trail conditions and I think they sell maps too.
    West Virginia Outdoor Activities - West Virginia Fly Fishing
    The closest one to Snowshoe is probably Props Run which comes out right at Elk River Touring, I believe they may even shuttle that one. It is a taste of what the riding is like but not as intense as some of the others.

I heard the Forest Service did a lot of post Dereckto cleaning over there last year but can't say first hand. A lot of the rides originate from Gauley Mountain trail on highway 150. Bear Pen and Red Run are a couple of the more well known.

Another set of trails is over at Richwood originating from the Forest Service office there, Kennison Mountain being the most well known. That is near the Cranberry Glades area and is quite beautiful. That is a lot further out than Slatyfork for you though.

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Here are a couple of old threads of rides in the Slatyfork area
    Kennison Mountain

Slatyfork Shuffle 2010 Thursday ride

Gauley Mountain Trails
    Fridays Ride - 2010 Slatyfork Shuffle

Looks like Outdoornut's cool videos are no longer on Vimeo but the pics should give you an idea of what it is like

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Ill Second Slaty Fork. Lots of good back country riding