mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Snowshoe or Bryce...or both?

Looking for opinions:

I am trying to decide between going to snowshoe or Bryce next week/weekend.

I have ridden snowshoe a few times and really enjoyed it. Should I switch it up and check out Bryce this time around? There seems to be a lot of hype about it (a lot of people really excited), but it looks to be a fairly small system of trails that are all pretty similar.

I've considered doing both, but the drive between is three hours, and I'm already doing seven coming from NC.

I'll be riding my one and only, a 6"AM bike that I have ridden at several parks. I enjoy everything from blues to technical black trails, but don't do big gaps or crazy drops.

Thoughts?

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    Bryce was nice for me for it's proximity to where I live (Snowshoe is a few hours farther away). However, Bryce is is more of a hill than a mountain. It's the smallest lift assisted park that I've ever seen (someone walking up beat the lift to the top). If you're coming from Carolina, make the most of your time and head back to Snowshoe.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sean.designs.bikes View Post
    Bryce was nice for me for it's proximity to where I live (Snowshoe is a few hours farther away). However, Bryce is is more of a hill than a mountain. It's the smallest lift assisted park that I've ever seen (someone walking up beat the lift to the top). If you're coming from Carolina, make the most of your time and head back to Snowshoe.
    Thanks! That's exactly the kind info I was looking for.

Ever ridden at Timberline? Worth taking a day or two to check that out, or just stay at Snowshoe?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan1 View Post
    Thanks! That's exactly the kind info I was looking for.

Ever ridden at Timberline? Worth taking a day or two to check that out, or just stay at Snowshoe?

I may be able to offer a few resources to help you decide. My video channels on PinkBike are organized per location:

Timberline-Bike-Park Video Channel by videoriding at Timberline 08-04-2013 - Pinkbike

Timberline is my favorite... natural, fast, and technical. Though, it would be quite a trip from NC as it is about 2.25 hours north of Snowshoe. The lift is slow, the restaurant/ bar is always happening, camping on site is allowed, DH bikes/ gear rentals are NOT available, the staff is awesome. BIKE PARK IS OPEN SAT/ SUN ONLY.

I believe myself and one other will be there one day this weekend.
    2012 Turner DHR
    2013 Turner Burner

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Again, excellent info. Thanks a lot.

Timberline looks like it would be right up my alley...my plan was to head back south Saturday though. If its only open sat and sun I might have to miss it this time around.

Do they have a camping area (water and bathrooms) for people that are camping? Or is just more like a sleeping by your truck in the parking lot kind of a deal?

mtbr member
    On-site camping is a sleep by your vehicle deal. We generally find an empty corner of the lot and set up a few yards into the woods. Additionally, there is a bunkhouse- and to stay there is $25 a night. Restroom, shower, etc. Not a bad deal at all!
    2012 Turner DHR
    2013 Turner Burner

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Dude, come on...someone walked up the mountain at Bryce faster than the lift....? It's one thing to call it what it is...obviously smaller and tamer than the shoe, but thats just wrong. LOL

We just took a crew of 11 to Bryce this weekend, of VERY different skill levels, and everyone was able to have some fun. It is what it is. For us, its two hours closer to VB than Snowhoe and its better than the flatness we ride here and in Williamsburg.

As long as I dont have to pedal up...I'll ride an anthill.

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Dude, come on...someone walked up the mountain at Bryce faster than the lift....? It's one thing to call it what it is...obviously smaller and tamer than the shoe, but thats just wrong. LOL
    Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of fun when I went to Bryce. I just wanted to give the OP an idea of how it compares to Snowshoe. I felt that sharing the fact that someone walked up the hill faster than the lift (which actually happened) would illustrate the lift speed he'd be able to expect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Bahaha...yes on the lift speed issue. Its a looooong way from a high speed quad which I politely recommended to the awesome dude who asked us for suggestions the first time we went. He was like.."Damn, we just got this one two years ago." Its a super small mom and pop type place.

BUT...my crew was so beat down that there wasnt anyone gonna climb the mountain to the top faster than the lift. Why the hell did you guys have someone doing that? Was it one of the bikers or one of the endurance runner folks running laps or something?

Love4Mtns
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Why the hell did you guys have someone doing that? Was it one of the bikers or one of the endurance runner folks running laps or something?
    Not a biker, just a woman walking up a parallel hiking trail.

a'buh?
    super slow lift, but super fun little mountain. I rode there this weekend and had a blast.

I'm a pretty experienced rider, and I got a huge kick out of the place. Tons of people clearly trying DH for their first time, which was heartwarming, especially because they all seemed to stick to the easy trails or know to move out of your way with a simple "Rider!" as you come up behind. The trails weren't super crowded, which might've helped. But I found the trails to be well-built, well-maintained, and fun. The trail crews and lift operators were super friendly and gave me the lowdown on a local spot to camp for free. The rentals all seemed to be in good shape. The mountain is also much closer than snowshoe for me (DC area). Basically, I'd highly recommend Bryce for a weekend to almost anyone. I'm planning to take the gf there this weekend for her first time downhilling, and I'm pretty excited to go back!

Snowshoe has much more vertical, many more trails, and if I could only ride one it'd definitely be Snowshoe just for the number and variety of trails and much more challenging terrain, but Copperhead is a very fun trail that's challenging enough to be really fun for multiple runs. And the brakes-off bomb at the bottom to clear the big gap is as fun as anything at Snowshoe, imho.

Basically, I'd highly recommend checking Bryce out if you have an extra day.
    "Don't just huck yourself: be skilled, be trained, be ready, be prepared, then give 'er." -Dylan Tremblay

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks Walrus, happy to hear that you had a good time! We definitely are proud of our crew who have been having a great time with the park. Definitely a more home town feel is what we're after. We plan on much more over the coming years but our focus remains the same which is to build access to mountain biking in general and downhill specifically. We have a killer instruction program as well that will only get better with age.