Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Snotcycle 2013

  1. #1
    psycho cyclo addict
    Reputation: edubfromktown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,898

    Snotcycle 2013

    Is this Saturday... who else is coming?

    I am SSing 34 x 18 on my rigid 29er.

    Looks to be a mudfest by the 12:30 SS start based on what the weather "forecast" looks like at present.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    Is this Saturday... who else is coming?

    I am SSing 34 x 18 on my rigid 29er.

    Looks to be a mudfest by the 12:30 SS start based on what the weather "forecast" looks like at present.
    It's Jan 26th, 12 days from now: https://www.bikereg.com/Net/17717

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    55
    The freedom trail has not dried out completely since the snow in dec. I am hoping for a hard freeze between now and the 26th so at least the trail is rideable. It was borderline about 2 weeks ago weather or not anyone should be on it due to the conditions. Anyone know what the cap on the number of riders is for the race? I know that bakers is already full.
    E.P>

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-Yukon View Post
    The freedom trail has not dried out completely since the snow in dec. I am hoping for a hard freeze between now and the 26th so at least the trail is rideable. It was borderline about 2 weeks ago weather or not anyone should be on it due to the conditions. Anyone know what the cap on the number of riders is for the race? I know that bakers is already full.
    E.P>
    My buddy and I rode it early morning Sat 5th, and it was fine, but the ground
    was also frozen. By the time we were leaving the temps had risen a bit and
    the ground was starting to thaw out. There were a number of sections that still
    had frozen snow on them, but were totally rideable as they weren't too deep.

  5. #5
    psycho cyclo addict
    Reputation: edubfromktown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Marshall View Post
    It's Jan 26th, 12 days from now: https://www.bikereg.com/Net/17717
    D'oh - I entered it wrong on my calendar

    Guess I don't need to take it easy this week then

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    55
    Just an FYI, i think they are asking everyone to stay off the trail until the race. Considering the rain/sleet we have been getting it is not a bad idea. Anyone have any 29 tire recomendations for the crap conditions? Are you guys gonna swap to something with a more agressive tread?
    thanks
    E.P.

  7. #7
    Need Sleep
    Reputation: cocksmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    102
    Parking is gonna be a huge concern also
    Go buy a Pizza

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3
    Anybody planning to rideshare or know a remote place to park and maybe ride to the start? I have a small car that will only fit me and the bike and would like to save space for others to park if I can.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    55
    There is a small neighborhood across the street from the entrance. I am not sure if we could park there. Might want to check with Gotime to see what the parking plan is. I am not sure how many racers are signed up so far.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    3
    Bikereg has 211registered total and 43 (male and female) for SS. Thanks EP.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Captain_America1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,618
    Depending on what happens Friday with snow/ice conditions could be great or very interesting. I love riding frozen trails ideally with little to no snow or ice.
    I agree that parking could be a mess. I don't remember seeing much of a parking area when I was there. Even if all registered riders come two to a car (which is unlikely) it will be tight.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    Depending on what happens Friday with snow/ice conditions could be great or very interesting. I love riding frozen trails ideally with little to no snow or ice.
    I agree that parking could be a mess. I don't remember seeing much of a parking area when I was there. Even if all registered riders come two to a car (which is unlikely) it will be tight.
    I rode the trails there the first weekend of this month and there was still plenty of ice
    and snow left over from Christmas time. All of that is gone now. This week's low temps
    should freeze the ground rock hard by the weekend, regardless of what happens on Friday,
    so it's going to be a guessing game for everyone right up until race day!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1

    Snotcycle 2130

    First time poster, long time reader.

    Just wondering if anyone is going to be coming from the Woodbridge area. I recently moved to VA and this looks like a fun way to start the season. I commute everywhere by bike and currently do not have a car (seeing how long I can make it before I go back to the dark side). So if i can snag a ride off anyone I would be very thankful!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Captain_America1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Marshall View Post
    I rode the trails there the first weekend of this month and there was still plenty of ice
    and snow left over from Christmas time. All of that is gone now. This week's low temps
    should freeze the ground rock hard by the weekend, regardless of what happens on Friday,
    so it's going to be a guessing game for everyone right up until race day!
    If we only get a bit of snow or no snow the trails will be awesome. Frozen trails have amazing traction. If we do get a reasonable amount of snow we could have a repeat of the frozen hike a bike of two years ago.

    Phil: check out the MORE site. You can post there that you are looking for a ride. Between both sites hopefully you can hook up with somebody.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    60

    Looking good!

    Just rode a couple laps out there today. Frozen solid and nearly as fast as the summer time. However all the yahoos that don't get it and have been riding when its thawed have rutted/widened it out quite a bit.

    Creek crossing right after the start may play a major role in people's races. One has to decide whether a frozen drive train is better than frozen feet. Ride it or run it is the question.

    May bring the SS to remove all doubt.
    Last edited by 8Shakes; 01-23-2013 at 10:33 AM.

  16. #16
    psycho cyclo addict
    Reputation: edubfromktown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,898
    Quote Originally Posted by 8Shakes View Post
    Just rode a couple laps out there today. Frozen solid and nearly as fast as the summer time. However all the yahoos that don't get it and have been riding when its thawed have rutted/widened it out quite a bit.

    Creek crossing right after the start may play a major role in people's races. One has to decide whether a frozen drive train is better than frozen feet. Ride it or run it is the question.

    May bring the SS to remove all doubt.
    Only things that held me up last year were: the traffic jam of peeps walking the muddy hill not long after the start and digging my chain out from being wedged between the outer chain ring and crank arm.

    SS is going to be awesome... prolly some good slippy slop by 12:30 to even out the playing field a bit

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    Only things that held me up last year were: the traffic jam of peeps walking the muddy hill not long after the start and digging my chain out from being wedged between the outer chain ring and crank arm.

    SS is going to be awesome... prolly some good slippy slop by 12:30 to even out the playing field a bit
    They're going to use a different start than last year, so that little
    muddy hill isn't part of this year's course. The promoter sent me
    the course: Freedom Center Race Loop by rtharrington2 at Garmin Connect - Details. If you
    switch to display the map using Google instead of Bing, you can
    see the start is between the pond and the road that runs through
    the property, in an open grassy area. Unfortunately, there's only
    about 50 yards after the start before the single track starts :-(

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by 8Shakes View Post
    Just rode a couple laps out there today. Frozen solid and nearly as fast as the summer time. However all the yahoos that don't get it and have been riding when its thawed have rutted/widened it out quite a bit.

    Creek crossing right after the start may play a major role in people's races. One has to decide whether a frozen drive train is better than frozen feet. Ride it or run it is the question.

    May bring the SS to remove all doubt.
    Run it? Heck no, what is this cyclocross? Those guys are nuts by the way. You have o ride it. I don't think the temps will be high enough even by noon to thaw out the trail. Should be solid and fast barring any snowfall we get.
    E.P.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by ECU-Yukon View Post
    Run it? Heck no, what is this cyclocross? Those guys are nuts by the way. You have o ride it. I don't think the temps will be high enough even by noon to thaw out the trail. Should be solid and fast barring any snowfall we get.
    E.P.
    Ride it and risk being stuck in the same gear all day. That is what I am talking about.

    Was just debating frozen feet vs gears. Frozen feet could be dangerous in these temps but giving up all your gears could ruin your race!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by 8Shakes View Post
    Ride it and risk being stuck in the same gear all day. That is what I am talking about.

    Was just debating frozen feet vs gears. Frozen feet could be dangerous in these temps but giving up all your gears could ruin your race!
    I know, I was just trying to sound tuff like I am not gonna freeze my arse off! The few creek crossings have been pretty low, shouldn't be much of an issue. If I would have gotten it together before the race I would have switched my mariachi to SS but I am not quite there yet.
    E.P.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1
    Hey lads coming down for this from ny on fri night. Il be staying somewhere nearby. I have an extra bike rack I can throw on the truck if someone wants a ride sat morning. Im riding.cat 3. Just throwing it out there if parking is that tight at the centre.
    Last edited by richie.irl; 01-25-2013 at 03:27 AM.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Captain_America1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,618
    Quote Originally Posted by 8Shakes View Post
    Ride it and risk being stuck in the same gear all day. That is what I am talking about.

    Was just debating frozen feet vs gears. Frozen feet could be dangerous in these temps but giving up all your gears could ruin your race!

    Single speed and Lake boots I am good to go.

  23. #23
    psycho cyclo addict
    Reputation: edubfromktown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976 View Post
    Single speed and Lake boots I am good to go.
    Right on - Ima toast up my 302's by a heat register for a coupla hours before I leave.

    SSlopcycle by the 12:30 start I guess...

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    101
    How were the trail conditions and parking? Thx I wasn't able to make it this time.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Captain_America1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,618
    The conditions all things considered were good. Some of the hills were a bit slushy, so they were hard on the single speed. You had to spin slowly to not spin out. By lap three there was more mud, but overall they were good. Most every single speed I saw after the race had a lot of frozen mud between the downtube, rear tire and bottom bracket area. My bike had at least 5 lbs worth.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •