mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Sleepy Creek, WV?

Hey all, looking for a bit of info. Found this site, but it hasn't been updated since 2010 - The Sleepy Creek Blog | Mountain Biking in Eastern West Virginia's Sleepy Creek Wildlife Management Area - and just wondering the status/legality/situation. Anyone riding there or visited lately? Anything else sort of in this general vicinity you might recommend? I'm looking for a good riding spot about mid-way between Harrisburg, PA and Front Royal, VA to meet some buds.

Thanks in advance.

Kuhn

spooge is gone!
    Should be able to get some info from the bike shop in Martinsburg. Also do a seach here and there posts talking about trails/rides. I found so video on YouTube from there too.
    "Can see forever, but I can't see anything"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks, sounds like it goes by "Martinsburg" - had tried "Sleep Creek" and didn't get any hits. Appreciated.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Sleepy Creek rocks! I ride there occassionally, along with hiking, fishing and hunting. It's been awhile since I've camped there. I think that the overall WMA is over 27K acres, and there are multiple trails to ride. Take the time to visit there .... you'll enjoy it.

she keep you buying rats
    Here's a map of Sleepy Creek WMA. - http://www.wvdnr.gov/hunting/WMA/Sleepy%20Creek.gif

There's probably around 70 miles of trails there. It's not a recreational trail system like you see in state/community parks. Sleepy Creek is almost exclusively old logging and mining trails that have been kept passable by hunters, mountainbikers and hikers. It's not well maintained or well marked.

But it's awesome. Just come prepared.

If you go over to strava.com and make a free account you can browse. If you look at Sleepy Creek there is an increasing number of trail segments shown. I've seen more and more added in recent months.

mtbr member
    Rode there once. I was pretty good. Also look at 3rd battle of Winchester located in Winchester VA for another decent place in that area to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Where do you access the Winchester trails? I've heard of that location, but I'm not sure exactly where the trail is located. Thanks.

bikeboatbrewski
    if you do a search there are several threads about Winchester but Red Bud road is a good parking lot. Down by school is another.