Rode a 10 hour, 30 mile loop at Sleepy Creek Wildlife Management Area, WV yesterday. Best ride of the season so far. If you are looking for back country style riding away from the crowds Sleepy Creek is the place for you. Sleepy Creek is primarily characterized by rolling double track hunting roads along two parallel mountain ridges and steep single track in the several trails that connect to the two ridges. Climbing the power line road running between the two ridges will get you anaerobic. Stream and spring water is available in the valley between the two ridges. Bring a water filter. Expect the following:
- mud & standing water
- big stream crossings
- moderate rockiness in certain sections. Beginner ride friendly rocks in the loop I rode but there are other trails that have very rocky sections.
- hike a bike sections.
- A fit rider can knock out all the Sleepy Creek trails out in a 3 day weekend with good planning.
- Sleepy Creek is a hunting reserve so use common sense when riding. Sunday is the best day to ride.
- Camping is available. Since Sleepy Creek is out of the way I recommend making a weekend of it.
- Use the PATC Sleepy Creek map to plan your ride and navigate. Land navigation skills are a requirement for loop riders.
- There is one section along Sleepy Creek mountain trail that is covered in deadfall. Expect to push your bike for about 15-20 minutes. I was about ready to give up and ride another trail but I'm glad it pushed through!
- Mountain biking is allowed on trails that have red blazes and on any of the hunting roads. Some of trails like Whites Knob trail and the Tuscarora trail it's questionable. I will call the Land Manager and clarify.
- Expect to go hours without seeing anyone.
- Good AT&T cell reception on the ridges. I rode solo but I have an iPhone app that sends my location to friends and family members every 10 minutes when I have a signal.
- GPS track logs and route planning available upon request.
- My photos should be on Google Earth in a few days. Tag is "Sleepy Creek".
Distance: 31 miles
Total elapsed time: 9:45
Moving time: 6:57
Stopped time: 2:48
Average speed 3.2 mph
Average moving speed 4.5mph
Results 1 to 2 of 2
Thread: Sleepy Creek Ride Report