mtbr member
    May 2009

Schaeffer Farms in German Town

I'm heading from PA down to see the daughter in Fredrick and was planning on hitting Schaeffer Farms a couple of days. I called the per-recorded phone message but could barley understand what they were saying but it sounded like they said the trails are closed.

Are the trails at Schaeffer closed? And if so can you guys from down that way suggest any trails within reasonable driving distance from the Fredrick area. Any help/suggestions would greatly be appreciated

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hi PamT,

Schaeffer closes every winter to protect the trail. It is a hot spot in the region and cannot handle the amount of traffic it gets when the trails are wet, freeze/thaw etc..

If you are in Frederick you should definitely check out Gambril State Park. It is a bit tougher than Schaeffer as it is rock/hilly and due to this the trail is ride able year round.

If you are not into rocks yet, it will take a bit of getting used to the slower speeds and technical nature of the trail but it is a blast. Check it out...
    Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Maryland Park Service

mtbr member
    Yea, that's a bit of a hike when you have a lot of good biking in Fred.

If you are really dead set on coming down to Germantown, you can check out Seneca Ridge, Muddy Branch or Black Hills.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by honns View Post
    Yea, that's a bit of a hike when you have a lot of good biking in Fred.

If you are really dead set on coming down to Germantown, you can check out Seneca Ridge, Muddy Branch or Black Hills.
    I was looking at Seneca to

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 8Shakes View Post
    Hi PamT,

Schaeffer closes every winter to protect the trail. It is a hot spot in the region and cannot handle the amount of traffic it gets when the trails are wet, freeze/thaw etc..

If you are in Frederick you should definitely check out Gambril State Park. It is a bit tougher than Schaeffer as it is rock/hilly and due to this the trail is ride able year round.

If you are not into rocks yet, it will take a bit of getting used to the slower speeds and technical nature of the trail but it is a blast. Check it out...
    Maryland Department of Natural Resources - Maryland Park Service
    Rocks you say? When God created the earth and had a bunch of rocks left over he dumped them here in central PA

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Clearly, you haven't ridden in West Virginia :-)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Marshall View Post
    Clearly, you haven't ridden in West Virginia :-)
    Oh yes been to WV many times. The clear difference between the two is here in PA we have rocks with a layer of rocks piled on top with an additional layer of small rocks added just for good mesure.

On the other hand WV has boulders the size of a two story house every where

mtbr member
    So I was hoping with all the nice weather that I might actually get some biking in this week. Alas, the weather looks as crappy as ever from here to the weekend. Unlike Frederick, the trails down here are not particularly well drained so you are in for an exceptionally muddy ride if you do come down. The only place that's reasonably ridable is Black Hills, otherwise I think you would be better off staying in Frederick where its much rockier and better drained.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    IMO Schaeffer is not worth driving to unless you do a variation of the MoCo Epic loop, or an out-and-back, hitting Schaeffer, Hoyles Mill, Black Hills, Seneca Ridge Trail, etc.

Frederick is DOPE. Beautiful trails. Gambrill is well marked. Schaeffer gets a lot of attention on the forums b/c it's local to a lot of people, but those same people are most likely driving out to Frederick on the weekends.

mtbr member
    If you like riding rocks there is no reason to leave Frederick.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm probably breaking a rule for multi-posting, but Fred Shed is being booby trapped... http://www.baltimorespokes.org/artic...30307210851934
    bikes are art you ride