mtbr member

Rock Creek Park in DC

This is a vent!

It would be so cool to be able to bike in the National Park of Rock Creek Park. Unfortunately however, its against the law. No bikes allowed signs are posted at every trail entrance.

Has anyone every have an interaction with the park police with respect to mountain biking in there? I've heard that they can actually take your bike!

When I only have 1 or 2 hours and would like to get a quick mtb work-out I can't invest in a 30 min + driving commute to Great Seneca or Patapsco.

Helmetless Crasher
    15 yrs ago we used to ride in RC Park. I only hike it now. Never seen a ranger on the trails. Great trail system, and portions are WAY under-utilized by hikers/equestrians. A few of the more remote trails could definitely be opened up to bikes without issue.

MORE is about to re-do Fairland Park in a Schaeffer sort of way. Trailwork: Fairland Family Trail System Workday Kickoff | MORE-MTB
    The first big work day is tomorrow. Fairland is pretty close to the DC line, just off Rt 29 in silver spring. I'm looking forward to its rebirth!
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpjumpy View Post

MORE is about to re-do Fairland Park in a Schaeffer sort of way. Trailwork: Fairland Family Trail System Workday Kickoff | MORE-MTB
    The first big work day is tomorrow. Fairland is pretty close to the DC line, just off Rt 29 in silver spring. I'm looking forward to its rebirth!

we aren't re-doing anything at Fairland. The REI trail "system" is one new trail, about 3/4 mile long. The trails there are already pretty schaffer-like, which shouldn't surprise you since the same people designed and built them in the first place.

mtbr member
    yeah, if they catch you, they very well might take your bike. It's happened.

Not having easy access to mtb trails was a choice you made in where you chose to live. If you wanted to live within 30 minutes of mtb trails, why did you decide not to?

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    we aren't re-doing anything at Fairland. The REI trail "system" is one new trail, about 3/4 mile long. The trails there are already pretty schaffer-like, which shouldn't surprise you since the same people designed and built them in the first place.
    Sorry I said "re-do", I meant "improving".

Schaeffer-like in the sense that there will be maps/signage, pavers, etc. - much easier for the first-timer to navigate and enjoy.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    yeah, if they catch you, they very well might take your bike. It's happened.

Not having easy access to mtb trails was a choice you made in where you chose to live. If you wanted to live within 30 minutes of mtb trails, why did you decide not to?
    That escalated quickly...

mtbr member
    Man, people are prickly!

Wakefield, Cabin John, even Schaeffer are relatively close to Rock Creek, especially if you mean the upper portion.

What about folks who live somewhere, and then got into MTBing

another bozo on the bus
    Not only can they take your bike and give you a hefty fine, but since it is a National Park, it is a federal crime. If you really want mountain biking to happen there, get involved. Rumor has it, there are currently folks chipping away, but it won't happen in the next few years. Its a metric butt ton of beautocratic BS to sort through. Another thing to think of when talking cycling in RC is that those trails tend to be very straight and are hardly multi-user friendly. It would take building new trails to make them safe for hikers, equestrians and cyclists. I for one wouldn't want someone coming at me on a bike on a wide fall-line speedway while I was out for a stroll.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Not sure why the National Parks have such an aversion to mountain biking, especially since every trail use study shows that bikes have no more impact that horses or even heavy foot traffic. But anyway...it is what it is. Its like that everywhere, not just Rock Creek.

Still, there are a few good quicky, after work options (when there's daylight, at least). I've done Fort Dupont a few times. (Annacostia's not so scary) Not the whole thing, but parts. Plus there's a few decent mixed-surface loops - Capital Cresent Trail to C&O Canal and Anacostia Riverwalk Trail to Kingman Island. I am also partial to Oxen Hill Farm, which is by far the best kept secret in the DC Metro area. Hensen Creek Trail and the Fairfax Cross Country Trail are a little outside the beltway, but easily accessible on weekday afternoons, depending on where you're starting from. If I can get out of work early enough to beat the Beltway traffic, I've been known to hit Laurel Hill, Wakefield, or Rosaryville for real singletrack.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Being a federal LEO in DC, they will not take your bike. They will most likely issue you a fine, or tell you to get lost. The easiest way is just simply not to ride in that area as the sign states!

mtbr member
    Just in case anyone is looking for a trace of the various trails in Fort DuPont, try these:
    Fort Dupont - A bike ride in Washington, District of Columbia
    Dirty Cat Race - A bike ride in Washington, District of Columbia

Also, I will be leading a ride at Fort DuPont Sun Jan 2th. I will post details later this weekend to this thread as well as MORE's site.

Helmetless Crasher
    Quote Originally Posted by nov0798 View Post
    Being a federal LEO in DC, they will not take your bike. They will most likely issue you a fine, or tell you to get lost. The easiest way is just simply not to ride in that area as the sign states!
    I think it depends on who you encounter.

I had a DC cop IN A SQUAD CAR attempt to hassle me re my dog being off leash, as I was hiking on a trail on the other side of the creek and through some trees. He had to be looking AWFULLY HARD to see me and my dog. I would imagine that the sight of an MTBR would generate an APB, chase and confiscation by that cop.

By contrast, I encountered a Ranger on the trail the same day, who smiled and said "You DO have a leash for her on your person, right?" I replied "yes", and she said "great - enjoy your hike!"
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Is there a decent list of places where one can bike? I want to live somewhere I can take the metro into DC for work and still mountain bike near my house/abode. Any suggestions?

ebp
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

looking for riders

I am going to be moving to dc soon, found this this thread looking for mtb option close to beltway. I have been spoiled living in NE. Ga. for the past 20 yrs... lots of trail and great bike community! I will be up starting in spring and am looking for locals to ride with to find my way around... first beer is on me!

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by sxotty View Post
    Is there a decent list of places where one can bike? I want to live somewhere I can take the metro into DC for work and still mountain bike near my house/abode. Any suggestions?
    Yes; map and list-

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...b0e46&z=9&om=1

Where to Ride - MORE Forums

ebp
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks,M.O.R.E. seems like a great resource... looks like I owe you a beer!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks guys if the interview goes well I will know where to look for spots to live.

psycho cyclo addict
    No worries. Holler when you sort out when you are coming and what trail ya wanna ride.