mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Robert E. Lee lately

Any city riders checked out Robert E. Lee lately? I saw a picture on facebook recently that I think was taken there and it seemed like there was a pump track looking thing in the background.

Name:  rel.jpeg
Views: 551
Size:  81.2 KB

Anyone have any recent intel from there? I'd love it if there was somewhere in the city I could do a short ride instead of schlepping out outside the beltway.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thats the rockburn pumptrack.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yes, that is not the RELee "skills area."

There is goings-on at RElee, however. A group, Robert E Lee Park Nature Council relpnc.org, has been doing some trail cleanup, a lot of it on the north side of Lake Roland. There is blazing, re-grading and re-routing going on several of the other trails which are mostly used by hikers but also mostly ride-able. As far as where all the trails are, well, you'll have to do some exploring on your own. Strava may help out as a few segments have been created, but they miss a good portion.

As far as the "skills area", I don't know who maintains it but its usually a cyclic thing. Sometimes its well kept, other times its in disrepair. I was there this past weekend and someone has clearly been at work recently, but IMO they may have done more harm than good. Its more of a jump track than anything else, which isn't really my bag so what do I know, they could be doing great work.

I've been going there pretty consistently for the past several years since its ride-able close to my house. There is definitely more traffic there recently and clearly there are some MTB-ers moving things around. It will be interesting to see what happens with the new group. It has always been a strong off-leash dog-walker park and they have gotten on quite well in the past with MTB-ers. Hopefully that will continue.
    My other bike is a /7.

mtbr member
    Do you know if the 'skills area' officially exists?
    Google reveals "robert e lee bike park" (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rober...99644293399120) which hasn't had any activity in over a year, and doesn't really look like an actual organization.

I'd like to find out who's working on this and help out, but it kind of sounds like this is happening on the sly. In any event I don't want me asking to be how the park finds out about this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the updated info. I guess it's not worth the drive there. I was really hoping we could get some short loops put in there that would be fun and maintained (I would obviously help) but I don't see it happening.

As far as the bike park, I don't think it's a secret but I'm not sure of it's status of official or unofficial.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    "Drive there"? No, its not worth that. If you are already in the car, spend another 4 minutes and go to Loch Raven. If you can ride there, there are loops and trails to be had and there is maintenance going on, albeit on a small scale. It would be similar to Druid Hill park in that respect - great if you live close, but there are better options.

The bike park has been there a long time. At least a decade in some shape or form. Maybe more. It's not a secret at all.
    My other bike is a /7.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have been going to REL for almost a year now and in my opinion it is worth a drive, albeit a short drive. It has a lot to offer if you give it a chance. There are definitely challenging sections of the trail, but you have to be willing to do some challenging climbs. The trail overall is a bit on the short end of things, but there is work being done to add trails, improve trails and it has a lot of potential. The "skills park" is actually growing and growing. Some of the work is not great, but some of it is good. It is much more of a dirt jumps/berms area.

I will also say if anyone is interested in meeting up and riding just let me know.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by onpoint View Post
    I have been going to REL for almost a year now and in my opinion it is worth a drive, albeit a short drive. It has a lot to offer if you give it a chance. There are definitely challenging sections of the trail, but you have to be willing to do some challenging climbs. The trail overall is a bit on the short end of things, but there is work being done to add trails, improve trails and it has a lot of potential. The "skills park" is actually growing and growing. Some of the work is not great, but some of it is good. It is much more of a dirt jumps/berms area.

I will also say if anyone is interested in meeting up and riding just let me know.
    Are there actual single or double track off the main walking path? I know of just a short bit that is headed towards the skills area.

I am in Canton so i wouldnt mind doing a ride if you knew of some hidden single track that can be ridden.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sternomac View Post
    Are there actual single or double track off the main walking path? I know of just a short bit that is headed towards the skills area.

I am in Canton so i wouldnt mind doing a ride if you knew of some hidden single track that can be ridden.
    Yeah there are single tracks off of the main walking path. There are actually a decent amount of them, but they are not obvious or clearly marked. I actually rode at REL this past Saturday and it was fairly icy/snow covered. It would probably be best to wait for the snow to melt before I show you around. I can message you if you want.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yeah...I'd like to ride through there with you. It'd be nice to have somewhere near by that I could ride in a pinch, instead of trekking all the way to Pataps or LGP.

I rode to Towson Sunday on my CX bike and almost went through just to check it out but I was running out of time so just went straight up Falls.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yeah...I'd like to ride through there with you. It'd be nice to have somewhere near by that I could ride in a pinch, instead of trekking all the way to Pataps or LGP.

I rode to Towson Sunday on my CX bike and almost went through just to check it out but I was running out of time so just went straight up Falls.
    Ok, cool. I'm thinking of going to REL this coming weekend. Send me a PM if this works for you and we can work out the details.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by onpoint View Post
    Ok, cool. I'm thinking of going to REL this coming weekend. Send me a PM if this works for you and we can work out the details.
    This weekend could work though we are supposed to get a healthy dose of rain on Wednesday/Thursday and chances again Saturday and Sunday albeit less.

Do you think the trails will be rideable?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    This weekend could work though we are supposed to get a healthy dose of rain on Wednesday/Thursday and chances again Saturday and Sunday albeit less.

Do you think the trails will be rideable?
    I wouldn't ride if it is wet/muddy. I was hoping we might not get rain, but it looks like we will get at least some tomorrow. If we don't get much we might still be able to ride. I think we'll have to play it by ear. Sunday might be a better bet than Saturday.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    FYI, R.E.Lee is dead. No biking signs are up on all the singletrack courtesy of relpnc.org and Baltimore Recreation and Parks. You may only legally bike the rail trail and the short trail from the bridge to L'Hirondelle Club. Details (as much as are given) are here: http://relpnc.org/relpnc/wp-content/...2013-08-16.pdf
    My other bike is a /7.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Why is government killing off all the trails in the Baltimore area? Rode LR and REL all the time back in the day. Used to be great trails at both places. Why are the officials so against mountain bikes in MD?
    12' Horsethief
    12' st-3
    96' Killer v

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sdm74 View Post
    Why is government killing off all the trails in the Baltimore area? Rode LR and REL all the time back in the day. Used to be great trails at both places. Why are the officials so against mountain bikes in MD?
    Ask them. Department of Public Works
    My other bike is a /7.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tbaier View Post
    FYI, R.E.Lee is dead. No biking signs are up on all the singletrack courtesy of relpnc.org and Baltimore Recreation and Parks. You may only legally bike the rail trail and the short trail from the bridge to L'Hirondelle Club. Details (as much as are given) are here: http://relpnc.org/relpnc/wp-content/...2013-08-16.pdf
    Interesting...I was just there today and I didn't see a single sign anywhere restricting anything. I park off of the s turn at falls rd, and stay on the main trail until after the bridge. After that I branch off and go all over the place. Granted it's not a big park at all, but it's still a fun place to go to do some loops with some interesting features. My favorites are the half pipes. I just make sure to smile and make myself known as I ride by other people/dogs and no one has ever given me any issues.

That being said I'm not a fan of all the trail "improvements" they've done over the past few years...there used to be a really fun rocky downhill right next to the dam, but it's all paved now.

mtbr member
    Haven't been in a while (6 months?), had fun when I was there though, need to go back! Maybe take the CX bike to make the ride from south Bmore a little nicer

Apparently they are cracking down on off-leash dogs fwiw

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by playstat88 View Post
    Interesting...I was just there today and I didn't see a single sign anywhere restricting anything. I park off of the s turn at falls rd, and stay on the main trail until after the bridge. After that I branch off and go all over the place. Granted it's not a big park at all, but it's still a fun place to go to do some loops with some interesting features. My favorites are the half pipes. I just make sure to smile and make myself known as I ride by other people/dogs and no one has ever given me any issues.

That being said I'm not a fan of all the trail "improvements" they've done over the past few years...there used to be a really fun rocky downhill right next to the dam, but it's all paved now.
    Yes, I believe that some of the local riders weren't so happy with the signs and have been "taking matters into their own hands." Enforcement (for now) seems lax but time will tell.

As far as "improvements" go, I think they generally have been good. The L'Hirondelle side has received much needed brush and tree clearing, and the mud pits on the main trail are vastly improved. I honestly haven't noticed much, if any, change on the single track going up the hill.
    My other bike is a /7.