mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Roanoke Mountain Campground

It looks like this campground is on the chopping block, but will remain open in the short-term until they can fund its conversion to a day use area. Sounds like lack of use is the motivating factor in NPS' decision, so I guess I shouldn't be concerned about the first-come first-serve access.

Looking for some feedback on the campground from anyone who has been there lately.
    Am I all zipped up?

Escaping the Dreary Confines

mtbr member
    It would be more useful as a day use are especially if (not holding my breath) they would give the ok for mountainbikes to "legally" be on the Chestnut Ridge Loop. As for the camp sites, they are not great - from what I saw the last time I walked through they have become run down, the parking areas are not the greatest. While there are toilet facilities there is no warm water. I'm not sure there's even electric hookups.
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    There has been quite a bit of debate on this. I would prefer to see them put the $3 million that it would cost to close the campground into showers and upgrades. Opening of the Chestnut Loop Trail to mountain biking at the same time would help fill up the campground. There are really no other good alternatives for camping in the area close in.

That is what I would like to see. The Park Service has their own agenda which normally does not include us. Like Jen says don't hold your breath.

mtbr member
    CCR - I would agree that showers and upgrades would have made it more appealing - there aren't enough close campgrounds to Roanoke - if I had the $$ I'd buy some land near the Cove and go for it. I could have foreseen an event like 6hrs of Warrior Creek being held at Roanoke Campground as a fund raiser - the only issues being road crossings which the BRP is a pain about. Another lost opportunity for the Roanoke Valley in my opinion - ranks right up there with the Explore Park.
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I wonder if they looked at a hybrid solution. Convert half the campsite to day use, but leave some camping and add some modern amenities.

For my use, I am okay with it being quasi-primitive. It would be a shame to lose all the camping thoguh. Just wasn't sure what the scene is like there. I think I read you can access the Explore trail right from the park, right? I guess Chestnut is off limits. Anything else to ride right out of the campground? I don't know the area well, so just feeling things out.

CCR - I saw the Wasena Taproom in one of your posts. Good place? How far is it from the campsite?
    Am I all zipped up?

Escaping the Dreary Confines

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fleetwood View Post
    I wonder if they looked at a hybrid solution. Convert half the campsite to day use, but leave some camping and add some modern amenities.

For my use, I am okay with it being quasi-primitive. It would be a shame to lose all the camping thoguh. Just wasn't sure what the scene is like there. I think I read you can access the Explore trail right from the park, right? I guess Chestnut is off limits. Anything else to ride right out of the campground? I don't know the area well, so just feeling things out.

CCR - I saw the Wasena Taproom in one of your posts. Good place? How far is it from the campsite?
    The Taproom is walking distance from my duplex but probably 3-4 miles from the campground. About 30 craft beers on tap and right on the Roanoke River Greenway. At the campground you are probably 6-7 miles from Explore Park but 1/4 mile or less from the Mill Mountain trails. Be glad to give you the guided tour, those trails are a little confusing for the first time visitor. They are built top notch just like the trails at the Cove, just not that many miles.

Fork in the Alley is less than 2 miles from the campground and is a great post ride relaxation spot, it is the end to our Monday night rides. If you come up when the days are long you could get in a good 2 hour + ride after setting up camp then hit the Cove the next day. Let me know if you come up.