mtbr member

Roanoke biking in December

Thinking of taking a trip to Roanoke the first week of December. We have never been there before, our last biking trip was in Asheville and we now would like to check out Roanoke.

Just wondering if mountain biking there the first week of December in Roanoke is a viable possibility?

Drinkin' the RIP9 Koolaid
    Absolutely. Some of us ride year round here. Rumor has it it's going to be a very brutal winter, so you may have some snow to contend with. Most likely it'll just be cold. If you are comfortable riding down to 30 degrees or so, you should be fine.

I'd say the number one riding destination here is Carvin's Cove. 30+ miles of trail, most of it single track. There are other good places to ride, but I'd make Carvin's Cove the primary ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizmuth View Post
    Absolutely. Some of us ride year round here. Rumor has it it's going to be a very brutal winter, so you may have some snow to contend with. Most likely it'll just be cold. If you are comfortable riding down to 30 degrees or so, you should be fine.

I'd say the number one riding destination here is Carvin's Cove. 30+ miles of trail, most of it single track. There are other good places to ride, but I'd make Carvin's Cove the primary ride.
    Sounds great!! we are coming from NY state so I will definitely bring the bikes.

Not sure about Carvin's Cove, we are beginner single track riders, at least in our state since most trail are filled with rock gardens. I appreciate the recommendation.

I have heard about the cold winter and it probably true since we are overdue for a cold & wet one.A little surprised about your 30 degree comment, I was thinking it would be more like 40+?

Thanks again, looking forward to exploring Roanoke!

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Could be 30's, but could be 50-60s. You just never know. The lakeside trails at The Cove should be good for beginner - intermediate riders. The Brushy Mountain trails there require a lot of climbing. Most of the lower trails there are not technical and climbing is minimal.

mtbr member
    As beginners you could handle most of the bottom trails at the Cove. As they have said the weather can be sketchy - one year it can be warm then next cold. Bring a variety of clothing options and you should be fine. Keep in mind, it's getting dark here around 7p now, so if you plan on riding in the afternoon it will be dark by 6p in Dec (time change).
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rickcin View Post
    Thinking of taking a trip to Roanoke the first week of December. We have never been there before, our last biking trip was in Asheville and we now would like to check out Roanoke.

Just wondering if mountain biking there the first week of December in Roanoke is a viable possibility?
    First week of December is most certainly rideable, as long as it is not raining. Typical temps around then are highs in the low 50s.

Climate Roanoke - Virginia - Climate graph

Check out Roanoke IMBA's website and FB page for group rides that might be going on while you are in town.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info! I am sure we will enjoy our visit.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    First week of December is most certainly rideable, as long as it is not raining. Typical temps around then are highs in the low 50s.

Climate Roanoke - Virginia - Climate graph

Check out Roanoke IMBA's website and FB page for group rides that might be going on while you are in town.
    Of course, the day after I write this I see predicted highs in the low 40's next week (1st week of Nov).
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.