um... yeah
    Oct 2006

Riding near Roanoke around Thanksgiving?

I'm from PA but will be passing through around that time. Can anyone tell me if there is still riding to be had in the Roanoke/Blacksburg area that late in the season? Are there any trails that won't be totally muddy or right in hunting territory? I hear good things about Carvins Cove...

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by that guy again View Post
    I'm from PA but will be passing through around that time. Can anyone tell me if there is still riding to be had in the Roanoke/Blacksburg area that late in the season? Are there any trails that won't be totally muddy or right in hunting territory? I hear good things about Carvins Cove...

Thanks.
    Hunting is NOT allowed at the Cove and as long as we've not had recent rain it's very rideable. Even with rain the upper trails are usually ok. The bottoms can get soft in places and the fireroad can puddle up and get messy. If you will post again in this thread closer to the time, we can give you a better update about trail conditions at the Cove.

FYI - single day passes can be purchased in the parking lots now. $2/day.
    Enjoying the trails one pedal stroke at a time...

CrgCrkRyder
    Apr 2007
    Carvins Cove and Mill Mountain do not allow hunting. On the borders of CC the hunters do get close but most of the trails are in the interior of the park so it is a good choice in hunting season. Explore Park is not supposed to be hunted but nobody really patrols it, so I would wear blaze orange there. Douthat State Park is mostly hunter free but they do have limited hunts so it is best to check their website before visiting in November. Pandapas Pond in Blacksburg is in the national forest so I am not sure if the locals ride that in prime deer season or not.

Edit - I didn't catch the comments about trail condiitions the first time. Like Jen said the lower lakeside trails at Carvins Cove can be muddy if we have recently had a lot of rain. The uppers (Brushy Mountain) are good most all of the time. Douthat State park is good most all of the time. Mill Mountain can be ridden in the rain without hurting the trails. Explore Park is kind of piedmont like so should be avoided when wet, although they dry off quickly.
    Last edited by CraigCreekRider; 10-17-2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Add trail conditions comments

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've ridden Pandapas Pond through hunting season without issue. I don't know the official ruling on whether or not it's allowed, but I've never seen a hunter out there.