Old Fart

Riding near Norfolk

I may have an opportunity to move to Norfolk, looks like the riding there is pretty tame & limited. Am I correct? Anyplace that is a reasonable commute from there that would be a good place to live/ride. I must admit I'm spoiled, I live 1.5 miles from about 15 miles of fun singletrack.
    If you say gullible slowly enough it sounds like "oranges"

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Norfolk, and the surrounding Tidewater/Hampton Roads area, is completely flat.

IMHO would have to live out of commuting distance to have a set-up like you currently have. It is close enough that you could ride in Williamsburg regularly and maybe do day trips to the Charlottesville/Harrisonburg/Lynchburg areas for better mountain biking.

Old Fart
    I know I'm spoiled living so close to fun trails. How far out of that area do you need to get to find some decent riding? Riding in Williamsburg is decent?

mtbr member
    I could be pretty entertained riding at freedom park in williamsburg regularly; I make the trip from baltimore every couple months just because there are no "freeride" features anywhere closer. But the regular riding is... while nice for what it is, what it is is minimal elevation, no rocks, only technical by twists and turns or man-made stuff.

It would have to be a really, really good job with the possibility of moving somewhere else eventually for me to move to Norfolk. Most cities I've been to (and I travel both costs frequently for work) I can at least see the appeal even if it's not for me. Norfolk isn't so much a city as a big strip mall plus a Navy base. Traffic is unbelievable for such a small town, and there really is nothing at all to do except the beach; which gets boring really quick.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Riding in Williamsburg is an hour away from Norfolk (if the tunnel is cooperating) and is pleasant, but plan on a 2 to 2.5 hour car trip to actually get to a mountain that has real climbing.

If I was living in Norfolk, I'd pick up kite surfing on the bay or ocean kayaking.

mtbr member
    The 7 mile loop at York River is pretty good. Not sure how 'hilly' a track you're used to, but York is the best for that.

Old Fart
    Here in the Finger Lakes of NY we have hills but not real mountains. A typical ride here of 5-10 miles will involve 300-900 feet of climbing. Looked at the EVMA website and it looked like I could be entertained riding at York River.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Williamsburg really does have a lot to ride, every thing from punchy technical singletrack (York River) to flowy IMBA stuff (New Quarter) to free ride loops (Freedom Park). Again, the issue is the damn drive. Escaping Norfolk (I'm in Virginia Beach...same difference) is a crap shoot at best through the tunnels. I had one Sunday take me 2:40m to get home for what should have been an hour run. It can be frustrating. Some great trails in Richmond as well if you are willing to drive another 30 minutes.

Locally Ipswich (Indian River Park) is the only real dirt trails that are kept up somewhat. I've been riding there since I was in middle school. Its a maze of about 8 miles of trail where you can put together about a 4 mile lap. The locals keep up with each other pretty well there and meet usually one night a week just to put in some miles before journeying elsewhere on the weekends.

Also, people may flame me for this, but if you are moving this direction look to Virginia Beach or Chesapeake to live and commute to Norfolk for Work. There are some decent places in Norfolk to live, but it sure as hell wouldn't be my first choice. If you have kids...then you definitely need to consider what I just said. Feel free to PM me for my # if you want to chat on any of this any further. I am glad to help.
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I make the trip from baltimore every couple months just because there are no "freeride" features anywhere closer.
    That's not correct at all. I won't get into specifics about local stuff, but surely even Bryce has to be closer to you than driving all the way to Williamsburg.

mtbr member
    Chuch nailed everything.

Old Fart
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuch View Post
    Williamsburg really does have a lot to ride, every thing from punchy technical singletrack (York River) to flowy IMBA stuff (New Quarter) to free ride loops (Freedom Park). Again, the issue is the damn drive. Escaping Norfolk (I'm in Virginia Beach...same difference) is a crap shoot at best through the tunnels. I had one Sunday take me 2:40m to get home for what should have been an hour run. It can be frustrating. Some great trails in Richmond as well if you are willing to drive another 30 minutes.

Locally Ipswich (Indian River Park) is the only real dirt trails that are kept up somewhat. I've been riding there since I was in middle school. Its a maze of about 8 miles of trail where you can put together about a 4 mile lap. The locals keep up with each other pretty well there and meet usually one night a week just to put in some miles before journeying elsewhere on the weekends.

Also, people may flame me for this, but if you are moving this direction look to Virginia Beach or Chesapeake to live and commute to Norfolk for Work. There are some decent places in Norfolk to live, but it sure as hell wouldn't be my first choice. If you have kids...then you definitely need to consider what I just said. Feel free to PM me for my # if you want to chat on any of this any further. I am glad to help.
    Thanks for the great info. This job doesn't even exist right now but I will have some flexibility where I live as I will have responsibilities in other parts of Virginia but the main focus looks like it would be in Norfolk. My wife wants no part of living directly on the coast itself, she's concerned with hurricanes. That's fine with me as the closer the mountains I can be the better. Sounds like I could be very happy riding in Williamsburg, but I've lived in small communities all my life so traffic is something I have little patience for, 2:40 for a one hour drive would make my head explode.

If I end up down there for an interview/look see I'll look you up. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Scubapiper; 06-04-2014 at 08:50 PM.