mtbr member
    May 2010

Riding Morning choice a few weeks ago...

Sorry this is so long I just needed to rant!

So a few weeks ago with two my buddies asked me to take him mountain biking in Patapsco. One of my buddies is a CAT 2/3 rider who loves climbing and sprinting on his road bike. So we go and play in the park just to switch it up from road racing.. The other one of my friends is a govt. contractor who hasn’t been to a gym or on a bike in years.. we all dropped in from the park and ride on a sweet Saturday afternoon. Needless to say the ride was taking a long time due to our friend being out of shape but this wasn’t any kind of race so we just enjoyed being out on the bikes away from real life for as long as we could be away from it. Finally we make it up past “water bars” and head back to a part of the trail that isn’t on the map but is very well traveled trail. We ended up stoping halfway up this path due to our friend who was having a hard time but pushing himself to his limits. So I dismounted and we are sitting around talking when a fellow cyclist comes up from behind and stop to talk. As we are talking about trails and mountain biking/road biking he looks at my friend and asks him if he is going to live. We kinda laughed it off and didn’t pay any attention to the question. The conversation continued about riding and my friend walked away for a second and this dude asked the same question again. At this point I am totally awestruck that this guy who is all out here alone and is now talking crap about someone in our group. Before I could say anything to this person my other friend sharply cut this guy off and told him he was way out of line. Now I have seen a lot of rude people out on the trails but this dude takes the cake. Luckly our friend didn’t hear this guy and get completely discouraged from riding well hopefully. We were about to part ways when we were asked about a trail that lead to a illegal part of the park. Too bad we sent him in the wrong direction hopefully since none of us have been riding in the park for 5+ years. As we finally left my buddy who rides Cat 2/3 told me not to worry one day he would be out riding and make that guy eat his words on some climbs. This “dude” was a on a real nice 29er FS and a lot of tattoos on his legs and a GoPro mounted on his handle bars . Please send him my way if you know him. I have a few choice words for him since he had a few for my friend.
    What I don’t understand is why people feel the need belittle others who are out trying and pushing themselves to their personal limits. I mean really is that what it is coming too now? I now see why a lot of people hate cyclists for being arrogant and rude. I guess if you aren’t clad in lycra and climbing hills like a boss then you have no right being out on the trails! WRONG!!! Its supposed to be nice out this weekend and I will be riding before it gets too cold for my liking..

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Honestly, I wouldn't take it to heart. This area has a pretty big cycling population and you'll come across all kinds on the trails. Most people aren't arrogant or rude around here but you'll have the occaisional oddball encounter from time to time. Chances are you'll never see the guy again. Anyone more worried about someone else's riding and not their own, isn't all that serious of a rider to begin with.

Personally when it comes to the local trails, I mainly enjoy riding during the week as opposed to the weekends. Aside from having a lot more space on the trails, the regulars riding during the week tend to focus more on their own riding/business and it's a lot more relaxed. On the weekend is when the trail mothers, d-bags, holier-than-thous, etc seem to emerge when they do. At least that's been my experience...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Lol this made me chuckle.

Why go thru the process of creating a thread and posting stuff like "send em my way" when you had the chance to say/do what you wanted and didn't?

I don't agree with the guy if he was being a d!ck, but at this point your chest puffing is too late. Done 400 miles since July mostly at Patapsco and have yet to encounter a prick on a bike....

Let it go and don't let it ruin your ride/day.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have been on the verge of death at Patapsco many times... Nobody ever appears very concerned. Heck, I have yet to meet anyone at Patapsco that seemed interested in talking with me about anything. Seriously though, cycling, as is the case with anything, is enjoyed by all sorts of people.

Get out and ride. (Oops... Edited) Screw 'em!!!
    Last edited by Lowfreq13; 11-14-2012 at 09:37 PM.