mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Riding the Breaks Interstate Park...

Anybody here ride in the Breaks park? I have been riding it on and off for the last year and keep finding more trails everytime i go...the last time, i ran across a "stunt" area out in the back area...nice trail system but i would like to know if the different trails connect or are they mostly out and backers....btw i am over in pikeville...
    " No! try not, Do or do not. There is no try. "

I bike long tyme.
    I've often wondered if there were any trails around the Breaks. Seems that there would be but if I'm not mistaken, I thought all the areas within the park are plainly marked as hiking only trails. I'm gonna be back down in Pikeville in April for Hillbilly Days. Maybe I'll bring the Foes and scout around a bit.
    People wait for me on the way up. I wait for them on the way down.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    I rode there several years ago. I don't remember much of the trails other than a steep downhill. The IMBA Trail Care Crew will be there March 18-19 for a trail building school. See http://www.elkhorncity.org/index.php?id=26 for more information.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Oh, the breaks now has about 7 miles of trails specifically for bikes. If you are familiar with the park, the trailhead is over by the horse stables near the campground. Beter than that the horses don't even ride on the trail, they have their own route. Most of it is singletrack...they are extending it next weekend as hillbilly hank mentioned in the link he posted...
    Don't forget the pine mountain trail...it runs 22 miles from elkhorn city to pound gap(just on the ky/va line near jenkins, one of my friends rode it a little while back and said it was nice...a lot of ridge riding, so it will be windy but low traffic.
    " No! try not, Do or do not. There is no try. "

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    thats really exciting, ill be up at the breaks the weekend of the 18th -20th and ive never really ridin offroad so this will be my first experience on my first MTB

if anyone want to come up and ride with me/give me a few pointers that would be great ill be riding the biek trail saturday morning sometime and ill be staying the either the hotel at the top of the hill or the one at the bottom of the hill

cant wait to tirde up there ive heard some good things