mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Richmond VA riding

Gonna pick up my son @ VCU for his March break and was thinking of combining it with a day of riding in Richmond. Where would I go to find a few hrs of fun singletrack? Preferably where I won't get lost. Love climbing and love flowy singletrack. Thanks-Mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you like technical trails, I would ride the James River Park System (Buttermilk, Northbank, Forest Hill, etc) right near the VCU area. It's a large loop along and across the river with flowy stuff, climbing and lots of techy stuff. If you want more flow and less tech, head down to Pocahontas State Park just south of town. There are other options around, but those are the main two IMO that are well marked and easy to access. Poca State Park charges an access fee of about $5 also.

mtbr member
    Check out terrain360.com for maps and photos of trails around Richmond. Pocahontas is the best marked trail system in the area.
    2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2012 Giant Anthem x2

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    GpsTrailSource Home

Freewillie has it though. Northbank, and Forest Hill are less techy and more flowy, and the Buttermilk is less flowy and more techy, but the whole park system is great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Also check out the new flowy trails in Dogwood Dell (at the Nickel/Boulvard Bridge end of Northbank Trail).

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Looking like I've got a couple of rides! Thanks a zillion! Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Behind the walmart on forest hill theres a TON of trails but there always packed with dirtbikes and quads, If you go watch yourself i almost decapitated some mexican on a little pitbike with his kid on the front, Theres some crazy stuff back there

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Richmond Va riding

So it looks like I might be able to pull off 2 days of riding in Richmond. Thinking 1 day @ Pocahontas and the other @ James River. Can anyone suggest good loops of what might be great singletrack rides. Thinking 3 - 3 1/2 hr in the saddle rides or so. Fun and flow are key. Climbing great. Also any suggestions where to park for James River? Thanks!! Mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crossintopos View Post
    So it looks like I might be able to pull off 2 days of riding in Richmond. Thinking 1 day @ Pocahontas and the other @ James River. Can anyone suggest good loops of what might be great singletrack rides. Thinking 3 - 3 1/2 hr in the saddle rides or so. Fun and flow are key. Climbing great. Also any suggestions where to park for James River? Thanks!! Mike
    Safe place for both you and your car is the lot next to Tredegar Iron Works. Easy access to both the North Bank Trail and across Belle Isle to Buttermilk/ Forest Hills.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks Big Al!

mtbr member
    Do you guys have recommendations on where to rent a mountain bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Pedal Power on Broad at Staples Mill (the old Rowletts building) rents Giant's I think.

mtbr member
    I checked their website which indicates they only rent hybrids and road bikes.

mtbr member
    Try Carytown Bicycle Company. I honestly don't think they rent bikes but it's worth a phone call!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Riverside Outfitters rents them on Brown's Island during the summers - I don't know if they rent from their HQ during the off season or not.

Trail Cubist
    The Lake Loop at Pocahontas is nice---pretty long (a solid hour around), some short climbs, some rocky sections (though nothing really hard), some logovers, and plenty of flow. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Also: Powhite Park off Jahnke Road has a dynamite little trail system that's very challenging in places. MTBers have been working on this for years, and it's got some textbook armored sections, some tight twisty stuff, and an awesome section that whoops in and out of a dry gully (except there was a tree down in that part when I rode there last year).
    29er wheels are dangerous. They may cause you to go faster which can result in serious bodily injury. óJim311

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    3sports rents bikes. I know they have a couple of santa cruz Tall boys.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    May be a little late but Pedal Power RVA has a large selection of Demo bikes Trance X29, Anthem X29, Full Carbon XTC 29 and road bikes too!!